The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-14-2022, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I think Neitzche referred to that as Existential GAS....
Oh, very good!!!

- Glenn
Old 03-14-2022, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Once you have a guitar or two of a certain level, as the OP does, my advise is not to actively shop for guitars. But I do believe in having some cash ready for when a guitar really floats your boat.

Most recently I bought a mandolin this way. I really didn't need one, and really what I wanted was two or three times what I'd ever pay. I set my limit at $4000, which is not much by mandolin standards. Never once in three years did I walk into a store looking for a mandolin, because I wanted way more mandolin than I could afford, something with full binding and some headstock inlay. So yes, I'd play one or two when I went in for strings, and yes, I checked classifieds. All that did was confirm I did not lack for a nice mandolin to play, and would not buy one that was what I really wanted, a $7500 instrument.

Well one day a Weber Yellowstone Deluxe was on the wall at a grand less than my self imposed budget. Took me five minutes to decide, and ten minutes would have been too late. See, I had already made peace that it would never happen. I mean, fern inlays! And yes it sounded pretty good too.

So conquer GAS, but realize it when you are holding something special. These instances are few and far between. I've found once every five or ten years. In the meantime, practice long and hard. I'd much rather be a good player with a D 18, than just OK with a D 28 AA. All this only took me six decades 'cause I ain't too smart.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 03-15-2022, 04:19 PM

One strange way out of GAS is to get a fully custom luthier hand made acoustic to your spec.

If it arrives on your doorstep, plays/sounds to your liking in many months time, everything else will seem de-Gassing and a bit unworthy.

Main problem is you need to know exactly what spec you want. And to do this you probably need to keep buying and trying to see what works for you.

My custom Cargill 00 deep body Gabon ebony/Italian spruce is a dream with my spec'd chunky V neck and 2 3/8" bridge space plus 1 3/4" nut plus, plus, plus.......

But I still play/buy other guitars....curious, I suppose. If I had another custom made, it would be similar specs geometry wise but very different woods. Just to 'know'.... but then I would worry my fave would become the lesser. Nah, can't do it - too much emotional involvement in the current custom!

Meanwhile a nice Lowden S35/50 would be a good choice...

BluesKing777.
Old 03-15-2022, 04:47 PM

[QUOTE=airborne1;6955228]That new capo will be great with your $XX,XXX.XX new guitar!
Enjoy!![/QUOTE

If you're on Facebook

Check out the gasaholics anonymous room!
Old 03-15-2022, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
One strange way out of GAS is to get a fully custom luthier hand made acoustic to your spec.

If it arrives on your doorstep, plays/sounds to your liking in many months time, everything else will seem de-Gassing and a bit unworthy.

BluesKing777.
GAS is not about acquiring the best; it's about acquiring another....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-15-2022, 05:02 PM

Quote:
For me, the best way is to get working on a number of pieces seriously. Once I'm fully engaged in playing, the failings of the guitar itself take on a subordinate position to the progress I'm making. When I'm playing less and not so engaged, that's when I start wondering whether I should have this, that, or the other.
Old 03-15-2022, 05:43 PM

GAS Is expensive these days. Weather in your tank or in your lap sitting on your couch. Once you have a certain number of guitars it then starts to become an addiction. It starts with comes with wanting one more whether or not you need it, but more how much you want it!
I have seven guitars. There are two more out there that I really would like to have (One electric and one acoustic ). Do I need to have two more? Absolutely not. But I would like to have them and once I do acquire them, I will start taking Alka-Seltzer when I get GAS in the future!
2018 Taylor Academy 12e
2007 Dean Performer ce
Electric -
2014 Fender Telecaster Modern Player
1996 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2021 Gretsch Tri Five G5410t
1960-70’s-ish Heit SG
Old 03-15-2022, 05:54 PM

Quote:
THIS is the correct answer!
Old 03-15-2022, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
One strange way out of GAS is to get a fully custom luthier hand made acoustic to your spec. ...

Main problem is you need to know exactly what spec you want. And to do this you probably need to keep buying and trying to see what works for you.
... BluesKing777.
This may work for some people, but I have purchased two custom, handmade guitars from those who purchased such guitars, an Olson SJ and a Gerald Sheppard GA Ave Maria -- very nice guitars, by the way. Some people are satisfied with custom, handmade guitars, and some people are not.

It may be that many players don't really know what they want or it may be that the problem is just as RP put it,

Quote:
- Glenn
Old 03-15-2022, 06:20 PM

Quote:

My custom Cargill 00 deep body Gabon ebony/Italian spruce is a dream with my spec'd chunky V neck and 2 3/8" bridge space plus 1 3/4" nut plus, plus, plus.......

But I still play/buy other guitars....curious, I suppose. If I had another custom made, it would be similar specs geometry wise but very different woods. Just to 'know'.... but then I would worry my fave would become the lesser. Nah, can't do it - too much emotional involvement in the current custom!

Meanwhile a nice Lowden S35/50 would be a good choice...

BluesKing777.
For two decades at least this forum has entertained stories from people for whom each custom-built boutique guitar arrives with one or two others already in the pipeline. We really need a Three Letter Acronym to describe those folks. It's not just acquiring guitars that's their syndrome, it's the process of ordering and spec'ing out custom guitars that does it for them.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 03-15-2022, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
For me, the best way is to get working on a number of pieces seriously. Once I'm fully engaged in playing, the failings of the guitar itself take on a subordinate position to the progress I'm making. When I'm playing less and not so engaged, that's when I start wondering whether I should have this, that, or the other.
I agree with you. When I'm into learning new things, as I started doing this week, more time is spent playing, than on the internet "window shopping" guitars.

Aria:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk
Old 03-15-2022, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

I must be very fortunate because I would find window shopping for guitars on the internet to be boring. I am more of a "hands on" type of person and would much prefer to shop locally where I can play them.

This where I feel fortunate. I really don't feel like going out all that much anymore so I don't even bother to look at guitars locally either. I did when a thread on Klos guitars piqued my interest because there is a dealer here in town. So I went there and played one. It wasn't to my taste so that amounted to nothing.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-15-2022, 08:28 PM

Quote:

If it arrives on your doorstep, plays/sounds to your liking in many months time, everything else will seem de-Gassing

BluesKing777.
I'm not sure that's true
Look at the custom section of AGF.
You will see members of the 4 commissions
A year club!
Old 03-15-2022, 09:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
I must be very fortunate because I would find window shopping for guitars on the internet to be boring. I am more of a "hands on" type of person and would much prefer to shop locally where I can play them.

This where I feel fortunate. I really don't feel like going out all that much anymore so I don't even bother to look at guitars locally either. I did when a thread on Klos guitars piqued my interest because there is a dealer here in town. So I went there and played one. It wasn't to my taste so that amounted to nothing.

Tony
Around here by me its Taylor, Martin, Taylor, Martin. One shop in Bergenfield has a couple of Furch. That's it. I'm not one to travel into NYC though.

Aria:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion