The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-25-2023, 02:47 PM

Default Happy to be back to playing guitar badly again

I'm a little over 7 weeks post surgery for a large rotator cuff tear and a biceps tear. Doc told me 8 weeks before playing guitar but I'm bad at math. I can now sit for a little while and play at somewhat of a weird angle in holding the guitar but no pain, just limited mobility. It's been a long 3 mos. since I tore it real good and I haven't been able to do anything I enjoy. My coping mechanisms are working out, fishing and hunting, golf, and guitar and I haven't been able to do any of them and I haven't been the most happy camper you have ever met. Now when I play the guitar and I hit a bad note(s), I just smile
Old 03-25-2023, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on getting back into it. And you’re going to be able to do more each week, so that’s great.

When my shoulder problems were at their worst, the most I could play was about a minute at a time before the pain warned me off. That lasted a year or so and it was important to me to have that even that short time to stay connected to the guitar and remember how much enjoyment (and stress reduction!) it had given me over the years.

To quote Joni “You don’t know what you’ve got ‘til it’s gone”!
Old 03-25-2023, 04:17 PM

welcome back to playing

I'd have lost my mind.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 03-25-2023, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Congrats on getting beck to it pain free. I had a 4 month lay off due to a finger injury so I can appreciate what you are going through. Enjoy it - sour notes and all!
Best,
Jayne
Old 03-25-2023, 07:19 PM

Like many things in life, we disregard our 'gifts' until they're taken away. Welcome back!
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 03-25-2023, 07:26 PM

When I had my left shoulder replace back in October, I had ordered a new guitar. It showed up about 1 week after my surgery.
I couldn't help myself and played the guitar a little bit every day starting the day I got the guitar.

Now it's 5 months later and my shoulder is just fine.
I was very careful and made sure I wasn't stressing the shoulder.
Now if it had been my strumming hand, I probably would not have been able to do what I did..

Good to see you are up and playing your guitar.
Stay healthy and enjoy your music.
Old 03-25-2023, 07:45 PM

Welcome to the club! I had arthroscopy for full thickness tears in the supraspinatus, subscapularis and long head of the biceps - they repaired the first two and did a biceps release, acromioplasty and a bunch of other stuff - in August. I was diligent in doing my PT every day and this week had my nine-month surgical checkup. I am back to full mobility and can do sets of 20 push-ups with no problem, which is ok for a 65 year old guy, I think. I believe guitar playing actually helped! If you are compliant and do what your therapist says, you’ll be back in no time!
Old 03-25-2023, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsman View Post
Welcome to the club! I had arthroscopy for full thickness tears in the supraspinatus, subscapularis and long head of the biceps - they repaired the first two and did a biceps release, acromioplasty and a bunch of other stuff - in August. I was diligent in doing my PT every day and this week had my nine-month surgical checkup. I am back to full mobility and can do sets of 20 push-ups with no problem, which is ok for a 65 year old guy, I think. I believe guitar playing actually helped! If you are compliant and do what your therapist says, you’ll be back in no time!
Now that's what I like to hear! Good job!
Old 03-25-2023, 09:28 PM

Thanks for all of the good wishes guys!
Old 03-26-2023, 12:12 AM
Charter Member

Matt, it's good to see that you made it back to playing.

I've had surgery on both shoulders, major in the left and minor on the right. Both healed perfectly well with lot's of PT.

Congratulations and good luck!
Old 03-26-2023, 01:04 AM

Lets all, me, take a lesson here. We all, I, try to be a really good player for my self enjoyment and others appreciation but getting down to it, Its all about playing. I tried to quit last year and it put me into depression and I hated anything with guitar in it.
What finally got me out of it is the guitar I now play which I saw on Reverb. Ill try to be more content with my playing tomorrow.
Old 03-26-2023, 04:44 AM

Congratulations on your return. Do be careful with the continued recovery.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion