The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-12-2017, 02:31 PM

Default V-Pick Venom

I hadn't tried V-Picks yet but our local music store started carrying them and I picked up a Venom heavy. This is a pointy jazz-style pick. I paid $5. Lately i have been playing a John Pearse Fast Turtle with my Taylor GS and a Surf Pick wooden pick with my Tacoma baritone.

To be fair, i compared the pick to an Ultex Jazz III -- a good pick that I really like. The first thing that surprised me is that the V-Pick is smooth as glass. I have a problem with slippage, generally, but the V-Pick didn't move at all. The articulation was excellent and I think the volume and tone were better on both guitars -- which could also be simple confirmation bias at work.

I think I will probably be able to play consistently faster with the V-Pick -- which isn't saying a whole lot, but maybe with practice my flatpicking technique will improve.

Overall, I am pretty impressed. The Turtle is great for some things but it has some limitations. I need to work on beveling it. Meanwhile, I will likely use the V-Pick pretty regularly with the Taylor. I am jamming tomorrow and will see how it goes with the baritone in a group setting.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:27 PM

Thanks for posting this. I am going to try some venom!

Martin OOO-10E
Bristol BB-16

Over a dozen ukuleles.

My YouTube channel- https://youtube.com/c/VicSchmeltz
Old 08-12-2017, 07:40 PM

I've long been a fan of V-Picks and own several.

My favorite for acoustic guitar is the Traditional Ultra Lite. Familiar shape, about 1.0 I'd guess and rock solid (like all their picks) in your hand.

I think they go for $3. I prefer them to Blue Chips for acoustic guitar.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion