The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-03-2022, 03:39 PM

Default Eastman 40 series vs Bourgeois Touchstone series guitars

Looking at pricing between the bourgeois touchstone series and the Eastman 40 series it looks like they’re quite close at Just under $3k for the bourgeois and right around $2500 for the Eastman. From my understanding, the 40 series is built by Eastmans most talented luthiers using their most premium materials. I’ve also heard reports stating the 40 series has a lighter, more responsive build than other Eastman models. If it was your money which would you choose? Anyone have experience with both? I know the touchstone is very new so probably not a ton of answers but I’m curious to hear your thoughts.

Last edited by Marisab828; 10-03-2022 at 06:10 PM.
Old 10-03-2022, 10:32 PM
Charter Member

Since the Bourgeois Touchstone are just hitting the market, few people will have first-hand experience with them (there are a few NGD posts here), and probably fewer with first-hand experience with the "40" as well. Your best bet would be to speak with a dealer like The Acoustic Shoppe, who have seen and played both.

There are several differences between these two guitars: top wood, nut width / string spacing, and (in the case of the OM models) scale length. The Bourgeois Touchstone tops are voiced by the team in Maine (I read that Dana did all of these original tops himself; that may not be the case later on), while the Eastman "40" guitars are voiced by their master luthiers. I'm not sure if the bracing is different between them (but it's certainly likely), and both guitars are assembled by the Eastman team.

Deciding which one to pick is a personal one. Personally, I like Adi tops, plus the hand-set, color matched abalone, so I would choose the Eastman E40 models. In fact, I own three of them (two E40D, one E40OM), which are among my favorite guitars, and I have no desire to order the Bourgeois Touchstone (nothing against them; just not for me). The TC models weren't available when I got my "40s," but if I was shopping for them today, I'd consider an E40D-TC or E40OM-TC, and I'd still be at/under the price of the Bourgeois Touchstone.

Not sure if this helps, but perhaps gives you some things to consider.
Good luck with your decision!
Old 10-04-2022, 06:32 AM
Charter Member

I think there's not such a thing as blinged-out abalone Touchstone guitars.

Comparing Eastman "20" guitars to Touchstone guitars might be more
apples-to-apples...

-Mike
Old 10-04-2022, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcapsc View Post
I think there's not such a thing as blinged-out abalone Touchstone guitars.

Comparing Eastman "20" guitars to Touchstone guitars might be more
apples-to-apples...

-Mike
I would agree if it weren’t for the fact that the Eastman e40 is supposedly built with more care by only their best team of luthiers, possible the same team who is responsible for assembling the touchstone (though that’s just speculation). Like I said in the original post, there are multiple reviews stating the e40 is built lighter and is more responsive than the other Eastman models. I wish they made a less blinged out guitar made with the same care and by the same team as the 40 series.
Old 10-04-2022, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

I bought a new Eastman E40OM-TC for $2200 not too long ago...but it's one of a handful that I believe may have been a prototype for the Touchstone models. It has a Tone Tight bolt on neck joint (Eastman only uses dovetail joints on their traditional series) and is standard (25'4") scale unlike most Eastman OM's which are actually sort scale at 24.9". More like a 000. I find my 40 OM to be a little more heavy maybe due to the addition hardware of the bolt on neck. Not sure if Bourgeois AD's are discounting more than the standard 10% deviation so that's a little less than an $800 difference? The Touchstone will give you a true OM scale length with a bolt on neck joint and traditional herringbone binding where the Eastman will give you a short scale length with a more traditional dovetail neck joint and abalone top binding with herringbone on the back side.
No right or wrong...just different?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 10-04-2022, 11:23 AM
AGF Sponsor

They are both excellent models in their price range, but as has been stated, the difference in top woods, nut widths and appointments should be the deciding factor. Both are made by highly skilled luthiers in Beijing, with he Touchstone being voiced in Maine.

FWIW, we've had both in the shop and I didn't find the E40OM to be any lighter, on average, than other Eastman OMs, nor did I find the voicing to be appreciably different on that model. That said, they usually sound great!!!

Acoustic Music Works
Guitars, Banjos, Mandolins & Good Company

A top dealer for Collings, Huss & Dalton, Kevin Kopp, Baleno Instruments, Eastman, Pisgah Banjos, OME and ODE Banjos, Northfield Mandolins, and more!

(412) 422-0710
www.acousticmusicworks.com

Friend us on Facebook!
Follow us on Twitter!
Check out our YouTube channel!
Old 10-04-2022, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisab828 View Post
Looking at pricing between the bourgeois touchstone series and the Eastman 40 series it looks like they’re quite close at Just under $3k for the bourgeois and right around $2500 for the Eastman. From my understanding, the 40 series is built by Eastmans most talented luthiers using their most premium materials. I’ve also heard reports stating the 40 series has a lighter, more responsive build than other Eastman models. If it was your money which would you choose? Anyone have experience with both? I know the touchstone is very new so probably not a ton of answers but I’m curious to hear your thoughts.
Is this true? I'd love to see some photos from anyone who has one that shows that. I'm not saying it isn't but I hadn't heard this before.
Old 10-04-2022, 03:06 PM

I can't comment on the Bourgeois Touchstone, but I own an Eastman E40 OM and it is an incredible instrument. The Adirondack spruce top is perfect for the OM body size. It has huge volume and attack for a smaller body guitar. And the sound is very clear and articulate for fingerstyle playing.

If you're looking for a guitar that plays way above it's price point, you can't beat Eastman. The 40 series of guitars also have the classic Martin inlays matching the OM 42. Both Martin and Eastman are hand-built by talented luthiers. The big difference is the Martin OM 42 has a 2.5x higher list price.

This video shows an E40 OM being played that sounds exactly like mine. The video also features the E20, so you have to skip ahead to see the 40 guitar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaLanoqcIUw
Custom MJ (Cedar & African Blackwood)
Eastman E40 OM
Taylor 816ce Builder's Edition
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Taylor T5 Koa

“The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.” –James Taylor

Last edited by aschroeder; 10-04-2022 at 03:12 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion