The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-04-2024, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

In Long Island Newsday this morning they had an article about SA closing. In the article there was a guy who said that he didn't own a set of drums so he would go to the Huntington Store and jam out for a few hours once a week.

That's a big part of the problem. Right on the front of the store it says ''Come in and Play'', but eventually you're supposed to buy something!

I was never able to get a deal from them so I just bought picks and strings from them when I went in. Picks and strings wasn't enough to keep them in business but at least it was something.
Old 05-04-2024, 08:05 AM
AGF Sponsor

Sad to hear ... it's the end of an era for sure. I bought some recording gear from their King of Prussia store back in the day.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 05-04-2024, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Just left my Sam Ash in Raleigh. On Monday, everything in the store was 15% off. Today it is 5% off! Just my guess, but it appears a liquidator has taken over.
Spoke to one of the managers. She is just in shock over the closing. She told me her father spent his career with Sam Ash and she had planned on doing the same. I feel sorry for her and the others who will be out of a job.

Over the years I've purchased a few higher-end Taylors and a Breedlove from them. Always gave me a good deal. And you could always take down any guitar you like to test out.

Where does the closing of music stores end, since Mom & Pops and big boxes are both being impacted?

Last edited by ejko; 05-04-2024 at 10:46 AM. Reason: editorial
Old 05-04-2024, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

I am not entirely positive I have ever been in one of their stores. There used to be one in north Dallas, but I don't think I ever went there.
Old 05-04-2024, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
What is in that area nowadays? I mean, what has replaced music?

I've never been to New York City.
Most if not all of the buildings were torn down and replaced with taller office buildings or hotels.
Old 05-08-2024, 07:51 AM

I read an article on MSN.com just now that said all of the Sam Ash stores are expected to close by the end of July and there will be some steep price cuts coming on the inventory.

The article said that the main reason for the closings was that the company couldn't keep up with online shopping.

There was no mention if Sam Ash would try to maintain sales through an online system.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 05-08-2024, 08:24 AM

In my quest for "Clearance Prices" I spoke with several Sam Ash people. The website has been changed so it no longer reads clearance sale or liquidation sale. I was told that the warehouse isn't having a "clearance sale" and to go to individual stores for "local" discount pricing. However, all of the individual store Reverb accounts are suspended and, as of yesterday, you could only find a couple of truly discounted items. I was told the best they would do, at this time, is 15% - with no returns, all sales final....... There are a couple of $400-$600 off guitars including, if I remember correctly a D18 which might help someone but still slim pickings.
Old 05-08-2024, 08:55 AM

While it is one of those things which does not make a whole lot of sense, I held a grudge against Sam Ash for years after they bought out Manny's Music Store on 48th Street, NYC. For many of us a visit to Manny's had been akin to making a pilgrimage. If nothing else seeing all of those autographed photos on the walls of those who had purchased gear there through the decades or that guitar which had the neck accidently broken by either Pete Townsend or Jimmy Page (I cannot recall which) on display. it was like walking into a museum. What went over my head though was that at the time only a large chain like Sam Ash could afford the rent being charged so had they not purchased the place it would have been replaced by a big-name luggage store or something.
Old 05-08-2024, 10:33 AM

****, I hate to hear that… Just another chance for me to buy a guitar that I don’t need😝
Old 05-08-2024, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Can't say that I'll miss them - they just never had anything that I was in the market for and the staff was not very knowledgeable. I think I bought small Yamaha mixer from them once and maybe a couple cables but they didn't carry my strings so I mostly buy online. I'm in favor of supporting local stores but they need to carry what the musicians need. And, to be fair, it's not just Sam Ash - it's all the big stores including Sweetwater - they're all marketing to the rock and pop players (which is where the $$ are, I guess) and leave us small market jazz and country players out in the cold. I would much rather deal with a larger brick and mortar place like Dave's or Elderly online that has a staff that knows about the stuff they sell.
Old 05-09-2024, 01:33 AM

Has anyone gotten a Store Closing "Deal"? I was looking at a demo acoustic that was marked down 15% off so I called the store that physically had the guitar and they confirmed that it was in bad shape, (an unusual amount of scratches, dings, buckle rash etc.) but they were sticking to the $2k+ price.

I am hoping some people got some deals, I just couldn't find anything worthwhile.
Old 05-11-2024, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

There was one near me up until five years or so ago.

I picked up quite a few things there. I’ve saved a lot since they closed, but I hate to see this. Too bad.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion