The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 03-26-2024, 10:55 PM

Default Been on a Jerry Reed bing 🎧 ng

There are a lot of great finger pickers. Tommy E, Chet, Jerry and the list goes on. Many non musicians think he was just an actor but what a great underrated player. Who’s your favorite?
Old 03-26-2024, 11:02 PM
Charter Member

Agreed!!! He was a force to reckon with. Chet claimed that Jerry Reed had the most raw talent than anybody.
Old 03-27-2024, 12:15 AM

Your right. Jerry’s version of Lightning Rod is really awesome. And he looks like he’s having so much fun.
Old 03-27-2024, 01:09 AM

As far as great country fingerpickers, you have Merle Travis, Chet Atkins, and Jerry Reed as your Mt. Rushmore, I would say. My favorite Reed album is Jerry Reed Explores Guitar Country, on which he plays his arrangements of a bunch of classic tunes. I think you could study that album for years and never run out of inspiration, and I couldn't fingerpick my way out of a wet paper bag. Reed was also an amazing electric player and composer. His talent and influence is gigantic, and he is often misunderstood by many people.
Old 03-27-2024, 02:20 AM

Hear, hear - I sometimes think Jerry gets forgotten about in the pantheon of guitar greats, but he really was one of the giants of 20th century fingerpicking and composition, a true genius.

I first stumbled across him in a guitar workshop in the south of England in 1989, when the teacher gave us a tab of Blue Finger to learn - it broke pretty much all the rules of the formulaic fingerpicking I'd been doing up to that point and I was hooked. (I need to start another thread on muscle memory - this one's still in there after 30-odd years even if I don't attempt it from one year to the next...)

That was a decade before the internet and I never could find any of his recordings in record shops in England which always puzzled me - I finally started putting that right about 15 years ago, and the love affair was reborn.

Anyway, I could make many recommendations and share many Youtube clips, but fully agree re Explores Guitar Country, and would make an honourable mention of the two early 70s albums with Chet, Me & Jerry and Me & Chet - it's all brilliant of course, but the first time I heard Stump Water I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

For anyone who doesn't have them, the books Heavy Neckin' (John Knowles) and The Guitar Style of Jerry Reed (Craig Dobbins) will give most pickers many, many hours of fun.

This is probably the best known video of him in action, but that doesn't make it any less infectious - and check out what he's doing with this right index finger

Yamaha LL-11e (Bert)
Gibson Chet Atkins Studio Classic
Terry Pack SJRS
Harmony H173 Prismatone (Clawdia)
Harmony H174 (Clawdette)
Old 03-27-2024, 05:34 AM

I didn't realize how bluesy and jazzy Jerry Reed was until I got into him via Tommy E. That dude's creativity is something. Bluesland, Funky Junk, Jiffy Jam, Struttin, Swinging 69, etc. I have learned them all, and my playing is the better for it. Occasionally I will discover another gem like these songs online, and it's always a nice find.

A buddy's father (Don) played guitar for Janie Fricke in the 80s, and that band toured with Jerry Reed for a while. Don told me that Jerry had no cases for his guitars. He would walk on the bus carrying one guitar in each hand, and sometimes he would throw them in storage under the bus sans case! He was a wild man, apparently
Old 03-27-2024, 05:48 AM

“IT AINT LEGAL HUNTIN ALLIGATOR DOWN IN THE SWAMP BOY”.
Love me some Jerry- great stuff
Old 03-27-2024, 06:08 AM

His talent, dexterity, technical skill's, and creativity cannot be denied, he is obviously among the best, but he was also just downright entertaining. On top of all that, he always looked like he was having fun.

I wish my wife looked at me like I look at my guitars.

2020 Seagull Maritime SWS Natural
2017 La Patrie Presentation
2008 Seagull Coastline S12 Cedar
Old 03-27-2024, 09:53 AM

I love how dirty this version is. Jerry rules!

Old 03-28-2024, 09:13 PM

Aside from the astounding virtuosity, he made it look so easy. Like he wasn’t even trying. And when he was playing with someone else, he always let them take as much of the tune as they wanted; very generous. I wonder what it’s like to know that you can hang, easily, with anyone at any time…
Old 03-28-2024, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suilven View Post

Lesson learned: if you want to be taken seriously as an acoustic fingerpicker, don't wear a funny hat.
Old 04-02-2024, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Chet Atkins bestowed him with “CGP”.

‘nuff said…
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN