The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-02-2015, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

Default Waterloo Jumbo?

Hi, after the popularity of the WL-14, I'm hearing that a Waterloo jumbo is in the works. Anybody know anything about this and when it might become available? Any idea what it will be modeled on and likely to sound like?
Old 12-03-2015, 12:10 AM

You know, a month ago I was at a guitar event in California where Bill Collings was present and easily spoken to. He and I did speak, and he surprised me by knowing who I was. Had I known your question then, I would have just asked him about it.

For what it's worth, while there was at least one Waterloo L-00-style guitar in near-constant use onstage at that event, I heard zero rumor-mongering about other Waterloo models in the pipeline.

A year ago when the first Waterloo model came out there was a mention on the Collings/Waterloo website of possible followup models coming out eventually. When I read that I did call and ask Jim Baggett, owner of Mass Street Music and one of the key dealers of Collings Guitars, about the timeline on that. Jim basically replied that the possibility of those further models seemed slim to him. He wasn't expecting them any time soon, that's for sure.

But that was a year ago. Things can change.

My recommendation is that you call Collings Guitars during Central Standard Time business hours at (512) 288-7776. I generally try to talk to Steve McCreary when I call those guys: he's usually the easiest person to reach, and since he's the general manager he also typically knows what's going on better than most others. (As a rule, Bill Collings doesn't like talking to customers on the phone too much. I have spoken with him by telephone a time or two, but those were rare occasions. I remember Steve's surprise the first time Bill said he wanted to speak to me: "Uh...I guess Bill wants to talk to you. Wow. Okay...")

So call Steve and just ask him. He's always been a very straightforward guy the times I've dealt with him, so if a Waterloo jumbo is imminent I'm sure he'll tell you.

But I didn't hear a drumbeat for them at the Fretboard Summit, and I think there'd be one if they were coming soon, so I'd be surprised. But - hey! - as a company Collings Guitars is always full of surprises, so maybe it'll happen.

We'll see. Call and ask Steve and then please report back what he tells you.

Don't send an email. Phone calls work better for this sort of question.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 12-03-2015, 01:54 AM

Yes, they have shown some prototypes of a jumbo-style guitar modeled after the old Recording Kings. They also had some 12-fret smaller-body prototypes as well, one of them being an homage to the Gibson Kel Kroydon brand model.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:23 AM
Charter Member

There is a picture of one here. http://collingsforum.com/eve/forums/...5/m/7920046086
Old 12-03-2015, 05:59 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Wade, great advice! I'll give Collings a call and see how tight-lipped or not they are. I'm very eager to see them put out the Jumbo or another 30's/40's era type. Will come back to the forum if I learn anything. Cheers, Mike
Old 12-03-2015, 09:23 AM

I wrote them regarding this, and basically their answer was "soon".

No MSRP yet either.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion