The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-15-2019, 06:31 AM

Default Pickguard

I have a taylor 610e with a sunburst finish on the top.
The guitar does not have a pickguard and I was considering putting one on to cover some fingernail scratches from where I strum.

Any suggestions on a taylor style pickguard? colors that would go ok with a sunburst top?

Thanks

respect that EVERY guitar is different!!!

Taylor 656ce
Taylor 610e
Taylor 210e DLX
Taylor W14
Taylor GS8
Taylor 356ce
BR-371
Gibson J-45 Custom Walnut/Adi
Martin D16-R
Fender Stratocaster
Fender Mextele
Gibson Les Paul Std
Gibson SG Std
Charvel Model 2
Old 05-15-2019, 06:50 AM

I'd get a clear one.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:53 AM

A clear pickguard is one option. Another is to get one of those new wood veneer pickguards from Taylor. I’m pretty sure they’ll sell you one.

whm
Old 05-15-2019, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
A clear pickguard is one option. Another is to get one of those new wood veneer pickguards from Taylor. I’m pretty sure they’ll sell you one.

whm
These would be the options that I would check as well. Just depends on the look that you want.

Best,
Jayne
Old 05-15-2019, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwcsports View Post
I'd get a clear one.
I agree..........
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-15-2019, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Not exactly what you're looking for... but for those who might be... I always buy and use ipad/tablet screen protectors on my acoustic instruments. I cut them to shape/size and stick them on the clean surface. They do an amazing job of protecting from scratches, and I can easily remove them at any time. I also temporarily place one behind the bridge when changing strings, that way the ball-end won't ding the finish there if I slaps against it while pulling a string through. I actually started doing that years ago when a nylon string came untied as I was putting new strings on, and snapped a deep gouge in the finish. Once I'm done changing strings, I remove the protector and place it on something smooth, to be used again the next time I change strings.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
Not exactly what you're looking for... but for those who might be... I always buy and use ipad/tablet screen protectors on my acoustic instruments. I cut them to shape/size and stick them on the clean surface. They do an amazing job of protecting from scratches, and I can easily remove them at any time. I also temporarily place one behind the bridge when changing strings, that way the ball-end won't ding the finish there if I slaps against it while pulling a string through. I actually started doing that years ago when a nylon string came untied as I was putting new strings on, and snapped a deep gouge in the finish. Once I'm done changing strings, I remove the protector and place it on something smooth, to be used again the next time I change strings.
This is brilliant! I can think of another application—apply a version of this to a slothead when changing strings so any ‘string whipping’ when winding doesn’t mar the headstock.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
This is brilliant! I can think of another application—apply a version of this to a slothead when changing strings so any ‘string whipping’ when winding doesn’t mar the headstock.
Thanks! They are very tough, as I've been using one as a pickguard on one of my American Breedloves for eight years or so. I've also used them as golpeadors (tap plates) on some of my flamencos, and they held up fine.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion