The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-15-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRF View Post
What about silk and steel strings. Would they be worth a try?
These strings worked for me in taming the high notes sizzle I changed from elixir nano to pearse silk , but d’darrio ej 16 are good as well .....
Old 05-15-2019, 04:24 PM

I can't say if this is the same thing that you're experiencing, but I found the trebles on my new d-28 to be a little harsh, steely sounding, and to my surprise using a blue chip pick took the edge off the plain strings while not muddying the would strings.
Fender "Eric Johnson" strat
75' RI Fender Jazz bass
Old 05-15-2019, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

In my quest to “warm up” my 314, I have come to really enjoy both DR Rares and John Pearse PBs ... and not just on my Taylor ... the Pearse make my little Alvarez AP66 sound amazing-er ...
Just my .02 - IMHO, YMMV, yadda yadda yadda ...

Old 05-15-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottydog10 View Post
I'm looking at maybe acoustic guitar flat wounds, any recommendations please? It's a Martin DM.
Thanks.
Are the top e and b a problem because pretty much all the options are plain steel and sound the same, more or less. I found this out the hard way.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:05 PM

Thank chaps, all good ideas, I've tried all kinds of picks with some success.
I put a bit more relief in the neck of the Martin tonight which has helped I think and I've spent a couple of hours eq-ing the mic system I have (Close Up System)which comes with a 7 band eq.
I'll deffo pick up some of those strings that have been mentioned - it's such a pain in the arse changing out strings for testing though
Old 05-15-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I was going to say go to bone if tusq, lol.

Maybe medium trebles (13 and 17) too.
Yes- this truly does help! I have found this especially true on short scale guitars. 13s and 17s are all I want to play now- even if I pay more for a custom set. Your trebles will sound fatter, sweeter and not so plinky and metallic.

Try it.

Your welcome.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:50 PM

Since you're strumming, try a thicker pick. The Fender Tru-Shell heavy does a nice job of mellowing the e & b strings.
It may take you a while to adjust to the new pick.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:03 PM

And don't change those two strings when you change the others unless you are worried they will break. I keep my E and B strings on through two sets of string changes.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Thanks chaps,
I'll pick up the vintage bronze strings tomorrow and look in to the end pin malarkey, although I did put some bone pins on ages ago and it didn't help.
I think you meant "bridge pins".

I might have mentioned it, but it is worth repeating, bridge pins changes tend to have more impact when used selectively as opposed to as complete sets. Every string contributes invidually has an impact on the collective. I've found it more beneficial and informative if I start by replacing one or two pins at a time. It could be that the B and E strings are the culrpits making your guitar too bright. But then again it could be the D and G... or all 4. Typically the lower strings shouldn't be tamped down as they create many of the resultant harmonics that give the guitar's sound fullness and warmth. If African Blackwood pins were perpetually available I'd sent you some, but I only have one set and have to wait for my source to have them in stock again, which could be months or years.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 05-16-2019, 07:59 AM

Default Strings to help with harsh top end

Quote:
I might try and shim the bridge with cardboard

I’ll defer to the experts here, but wouldn’t shimming the bridge with cardboard kill your tone on all strings?
Old 05-16-2019, 10:00 AM

Try a casein pick like the John Pearse Fast Turtles.

A lot of tone is in the right hand tho.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:47 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
I'm looking at maybe acoustic guitar flat wounds, any recommendations please? It's a Martin DM.
Thanks.
Not to change the narrative, but what kind of pick material are you playing with. Acrylic, for instance, is very raspy and screechy and really doesn't work well on any acoustic.

sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion