The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-17-2022, 08:46 PM

Default So, The GAS Is Rising...

I need another guitar like I need (another) hole in the head. I'm getting impatient waiting for my custom made Holst guitar, and I've actually purchased a couple of low-end guitars just to satisfy my craving.

So, what does Taylor do, but send me a notice on the new GTe Mahogany. Mmmm. Then, Fender sends me an announcement of their new, improved Performance Series acoustics. And then, I came across Orangewood. Again.

I gotta say, I love my little Gretsch G9500 "Jim Dandy," but because it only has 12 frets and I play all the way up to 15 at times, I feel hampered by it sometimes. Still, it's a great packable, beater guitar I can take to entertain my grandkids.

So, now I see the Orangewood Dana Mahogany, which I think rivals the Jim Dandy. And it has 14 frets! There are some key differences. The Gretsch is made of agathis (n.b., "What is Agathis Wood and why is it so hated by guitarists?") and the Orangewood is "layered mahogany" (which I assume is a laminate?). The Dana is actually 1/2" shorter in scale than the Jim Dandy, although the body depth is the same. I suspect, based on various differing specs I've read, they are roughly comparable in size.

I notice the price of the Jim Dandy has gone up since I bought mine. The Dana is now almost $50 cheaper than the Gretsch. And it comes with a gig bag (I bought one separately for the Jim Dandy).

I'm thinking that at $135 complete, this could be a no-brainer.

Is it?
Old 02-17-2022, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

Well I'm normally an enabler and would say yes, that's a no brainer; BUT if you need someone to be a jerk and tell you no, I'd be happy to help find reasons NOT to buy it.

We all gotta help each other fight GAS, sheesh.
Old 02-17-2022, 10:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacot23 View Post
Well I'm normally an enabler and would say yes, that's a no brainer; BUT if you need someone to be a jerk and tell you no, I'd be happy to help find reasons NOT to buy it.

We all gotta help each other fight GAS, sheesh.
For alcoholics, there is Antabuse, which causes the person to get very sick if s/he takes a drink. For guitar players, it is called "spouse".

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion