The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-16-2022, 08:42 PM

Default First Look at Two Tasty New Eastman Vintage Varnish Models: E20SS/V & E20 OOSS/V

Check out these two brand new beauty old beat up Eastmans. Rosewood & sunburst has finally arrived at the vintage ball. Very intriguing!

My love affair with my own 2018 Eastman E10SS/V continues to grow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WW1wIvoTuE

Dan's Mahogany E10 SS/V
https://imgur.com/a/DTmkrLv

Last edited by Dan Boggs; 02-16-2022 at 09:24 PM.
Old 02-16-2022, 10:49 PM
Charter Member

Boy! Those look tasty. I'd love to try that ss dreadnaught!
Old 02-17-2022, 09:33 AM

Yes. They look cool. Shame they don't have a 1 3/4" nut. Boy the Eastman prices have crept up though.
Old 02-17-2022, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

…..I can’t understand why they chose to use those fretboard and headstock inlays…..why make such a nice copy of an iconic instrument and booger it up with such non traditional inlays….I know it’s in the eye of the beholder….this beholders eye don’t t like em….
Old 02-17-2022, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
…..I can’t understand why they chose to use those fretboard and headstock inlays…..why make such a nice copy of an iconic instrument and booger it up with such non traditional inlays….I know it’s in the eye of the beholder….this beholders eye don’t t like em….
I completely agree, those headstock inlays are the ugliest I have ever seen...complete deal breaker!
Old 02-17-2022, 10:55 AM

Yep, those inlays and the narrow neck and string spread don't work for me either, nor the fake wear.

Last edited by Cameleye; 02-18-2022 at 10:45 AM.
Old 02-17-2022, 11:39 AM

This guitar may not be for everyone but what guitar is?

There will be a good following for this guitar once they start selling.
Besides, this isn't Eastman's only offering.

They are really stepping up their game under the new partnership.
Old 02-17-2022, 11:54 AM

"Antique varnish"?

No offense, but I've always found those who buy prematurely aged guitars to be leaning towards the poser side of life.

These guitars look and sound wonderful. I love the overall finish on them. But that artificial "elbow rub" is ridiculous. That's something I want to do. It's a marketing gimmick which a large portion of the guitar playing public has bought into.

Years ago, there was a joke about the Fender Custom Shop, in that their "relic" guitars were put into such a state by some acne-ridden kid swinging a belt full of belt buckles at a guitar. You can imagine that, much to our surprise, that during a tour of the Custom Shop we saw some acne-ridden kid swinging a belt full of buckles at a guitar.

These guitars didn't need it and, for me, it's a shame that Eastman decided to do it...
Old 02-17-2022, 08:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Glider View Post
"Antique varnish"?

No offense, but I've always found those who buy prematurely aged guitars to be leaning towards the poser side of life.

These guitars look and sound wonderful. I love the overall finish on them. But that artificial "elbow rub" is ridiculous. That's something I want to do. It's a marketing gimmick which a large portion of the guitar playing public has bought into.

Years ago, there was a joke about the Fender Custom Shop, in that their "relic" guitars were put into such a state by some acne-ridden kid swinging a belt full of belt buckles at a guitar. You can imagine that, much to our surprise, that during a tour of the Custom Shop we saw some acne-ridden kid swinging a belt full of buckles at a guitar.

These guitars didn't need it and, for me, it's a shame that Eastman decided to do it...

There’s obviously a market for the relic stuff. Eastman is a business. They’d be foolish not to dip a toe in the water and take advantage of a trend.
Old 02-17-2022, 08:18 PM

Boy, you guys are tough. PW guitars gets a lot of great pub here on AGF, and I don't think one can even order a non-reliced guitar from them. I personally don't care for the trend, but people want what people want.
Old 02-17-2022, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenumber2 View Post
There’s obviously a market for the relic stuff. Eastman is a business. They’d be foolish not to dip a toe in the water and take advantage of a trend.
Oh, I understand that, which is why I didn't say there wasn't a market for it or that it was a bad business decision. I just think people who buy such guitars tend to be posers...
Old 02-17-2022, 11:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Glider View Post
Oh, I understand that, which is why I didn't say there wasn't a market for it or that it was a bad business decision. I just think people who buy such guitars tend to be posers...
Are people who buy well used vintage guitars posers as well?
Old 02-18-2022, 04:35 AM
Charter Member

I owned two Eastman E10 SS/V models (as well as a few E10ss models) over the last decade.

Generally I can say two things, and I don’t mind being challenged or educated:

1) The guitars tend to need some tweaking /setup help; once that is accomplished they are nice guitars.

2) They used to have nitro lacquer finishes. Now they have a more poly-type of finish. The nitro finished Eastmans are vastly superior sonically.
Old 02-18-2022, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
Are people who buy well used vintage guitars posers as well?
Yes. Once guitars look old they should be thrown out ...

-Mike
Old 02-18-2022, 07:29 AM

The varnish gets aged pretty quickly anyway. Might work on a violin but on a guitar: scratches, discolorations, marks (from the bubble wrap!) all happen irrespective how careful you are.

I have a e10ss/v.

Hate the sunburst on these ones and the inlays...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion