The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-14-2022, 11:40 AM

Default Eastman PCH guitars: What's the actual string-spacing?

The Eastman PCH series is on my shortlist for a travel guitar, but I read on some topics that the nut-widths and string-spacings on these might not be as advertised. I'd be most grateful if some owners of the grand auditorium and dreadnought series could measure theirs.

My Seagull has a 1.8" nut width and ~1.55" string-spacing (outer edge of 1st string to outer edge of 6th string). My OM has a 1.75" nut width with about the same string-spacing (~1.53").

My Seagull has the narrowest string-spacing at the bridge at 2-5/32" (string center to string center. I've been able to work with that. The OM measures 2-5/8".
Old 02-16-2022, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

I don’t have one to measure, but I have played a couple PCH OMs, and coming from a 1.75” nut Martin OM, I didn’t find the spacing on the Eastman to be a problem. I have heard the same same thing you have though; hopefully someone can measure for you. The Eastmans are definitely nice guitars for the money.
Old 02-16-2022, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastStrings View Post
The Eastman PCH series is on my shortlist for a travel guitar, but I read on some topics that the nut-widths and string-spacings on these might not be as advertised. I'd be most grateful if some owners of the grand auditorium and dreadnought series could measure theirs.

My Seagull has a 1.8" nut width and ~1.55" string-spacing (outer edge of 1st string to outer edge of 6th string). My OM has a 1.75" nut width with about the same string-spacing (~1.53").

My Seagull has the narrowest string-spacing at the bridge at 2-5/32" (string center to string center. I've been able to work with that. The OM measures 2-5/8".
I don't have a PCH but I have an E1D dreadnought.

The nut itself is 1.75" wide.

String spacing at the nut is 1.47" center-to-center (that equates to 1.50" outer edge to outer edge of the strings with my 12-53 set).

String spacing at the bridge is 2.18" center-to-center of the strings.

P.S. My other acoustic guitar also has a 1.75" nut but the string spacing is 1.48" center-to-center (just over 1.51" outer edge to outer edge) and I feel the high E string is about as close to the edge of the fretboard as possible. But that guitar does have slightly rolled fretboard edges. I'd personally rather give up a tiny fraction of an inch string-to-string rather than get the high E too close to the edge.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"

Last edited by Brent Hutto; 02-16-2022 at 08:23 AM.
Old 02-16-2022, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
String spacing at the nut is 1.47" center-to-center (that equates to 1.50" outer edge to outer edge of the strings with my 12-53 set).

String spacing at the bridge is 2.18" center-to-center of the strings.
Thanks Brent. I think it's reasonable to assume that the E1D and PCH dreads may be comparable on string spacing specs.

The nut center-to-center spacing on my OM is 1.50" so it's close. Good to see that the bridge spacing is no less than 2.16".

I'll make a trip to one their local dealers and bring my measuring card in case something feels "off". I played a Yamaha A5R a week ago and immediately could tell that the string spacing was too narrow for me (lovely tone though).
Old 02-16-2022, 03:32 PM

I decided to try my hand at electric guitar a few weeks ago. The first guitar I bought felt really narrow but I figured in general electric guitars aren't as wide as acoustic. But after nearly a month of struggling I pulled out my calipers and it was WAY narrow, even for an electric. The string spacing at the saddle was barely more than 2" for goodness sake. The nut was around 1-5/8".

It now resides back at Guitar Center and I got a different model that's a little more conventional spacing.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 02-17-2022, 11:08 PM

I stumbled on the Eastman PCH's being sold by "The Acoustic Shoppe" on Reverb. For each guitar, they post photos of the nuts with a ruler and photos of a gauge measurement of the action.

After examining a handful of the nut photos, I noticed that the nut widths seem to vary from 1.69" to 1.75".

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion