The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-29-2022, 01:02 PM

I love the 317. I recently picked one up as well and love it. It’s just a great sounding and playing guitar. I went into a GC today to look into ‘upgrading’ and tried out two of the nicer guitars they had. A Taylor 414-cer and a Gibson J-45. While yes they are certainly different guitars and tone woods, neither really sounded like they brought as much to the table as the 317. Certainly saved me some money, and reaffirmed my choice of the 317.

Enjoy your guitar!
Old 01-29-2022, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdscpa View Post
I love the 317. I recently picked one up as well and love it. It’s just a great sounding and playing guitar. I went into a GC today to look into ‘upgrading’ and tried out two of the nicer guitars they had. A Taylor 414-cer and a Gibson J-45. While yes they are certainly different guitars and tone woods, neither really sounded like they brought as much to the table as the 317. Certainly saved me some money, and reaffirmed my choice of the 317.

Enjoy your guitar!
Agreed! I have owned a lot of acoustics over the years. Numerous offerings from Taylor, Martin, Gibson, Langejans, Santa Cruz, Larrivee, and the like. This new offering from Taylor is exactly what I was looking for.

And, as you mentioned, a bit lighter on the wallet. Win-Win!
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 02-03-2022, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Interesting backstory…I’d almost forgotten about this until my wife reminded me.

As much as I prefer to buy local, at the end of 2021 (Octoberish), I found an early 00’s model Taylor on here. We worked out a deal. I bought it on Saturday. It was to be shipped Monday.

Monday I received an email stating that the seller couldn’t ship as he was called away to work (in an emergency situation) and would be away for an undetermined amount of time. So, he promptly refunded my payment and that was that.

Bummer. Serious bummer. I’d been hunting. I’d been patient. I’d done my research. I had it all figured out.

So, what do I do? Nothing. Well, not nothing…exactly. I’d look here and there. But to be honest, my heart just wasn’t in it. I primarily play electric anymore, and had a nice GS Mini (Rosewood), and a very nice Guild. So yeah…not to excited.

Christmas arrives…nothing. I bought a Strymon pedal and a case for my LP. Otherwise…no guitars. Still…meh.

In January I decided to put my 2 acoustics up on the forum. In spite of my disdain for the shipping process I thought I could power through. Not really. So, I decided to swing by my local shop and see if they had anything.

Now, I KNEW they wouldn’t have what I’d wanted originally, but thought I’d “humor” myself by playing every Taylor that they had.

And, I did.

To my surprise the 317 got the nod. While it had the wood combo I wanted, it wasn’t an x14 style. It wasn’t a dread either. At least not in the typical sense.

Is it a GS? No. Kind of…but no.

I believe what Taylor was aiming for was a “Slope Shoulder” dread. Which is the exact OPPOSITE of what I’d been looking for.

It wasn’t a part of the “plan”.

After having her a few days, and being able to set her up to my preference, I’m still VERY satisfied with my decision. While I’d not heard/read too many positive things about the new “V-Class” bracing I will say that my first strum had me wondering if this was really a Taylor? Maybe the V-Class isn’t a great fit in the other models. I’ve not played them. But, in this 317…I’m a fan.

And to think…I had a “plan”. Until I didn’t.

Well done Taylor. Well done.
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 02-03-2022, 01:32 PM

beautiful guitar.

Congratulations.
2022 Guild F512E - Maple
Old 02-06-2022, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehauler View Post
beautiful guitar.

Congratulations.
Thank you! I’m certainly enjoying it!
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 02-06-2022, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Welcome To The Taylor Grand Pacific Club--Enjoy!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 02-07-2022, 10:41 AM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
. . . While I’d not heard/read too many positive things about the new “V-Class” bracing I will say that my first strum had me wondering if this was really a Taylor? . . . .
The reason you don't read many positive things about V-Class bracing is simply because it's easier to criticize than it is to support, especially since it boils down to tone - which is relative. A lot of V-Class owners appreciate and use the balance, clarity, sustain and intonation the bracing provides. For fingerpickers like myself, both in recording and live use, the attributes are very much appreciated.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 02-08-2022, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
The reason you don't read many positive things about V-Class bracing is simply because it's easier to criticize than it is to support, especially since it boils down to tone - which is relative. A lot of V-Class owners appreciate and use the balance, clarity, sustain and intonation the bracing provides. For fingerpickers like myself, both in recording and live use, the attributes are very much appreciated.
I haven’t had the privilege of playing any other V-Class models. That being said, I’ve owned numerous Taylor’s and to me, (barring a couple of 90’s models…one a 510, the other an 815ce with mustache bridge & Florentine cutaway), this is the “fullest” sounding Taylor that I’ve owned. I agree that tone is subjective so it’s only fair that I base my remarks/opinions on my personal experiences.

Over the last couple of weeks I’ve discovered the 317 has all of the qualities that you described. The sustain is outstanding. Note definition & clarity are remarkable. All while retaining some very smooth low end. Not just present…but PRESENT. Without falling prey to being “ boomy” or “tubby”.

It has a very nice “voice” that accompanies my vocals very well. It plays and sounds fantastic. I’m looking forward to adding a pickup. For me, the 317 (517/717) is a fantastic offering from Taylor.
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 02-08-2022, 10:25 PM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
I haven’t had the privilege of playing any other V-Class models. That being said, I’ve owned numerous Taylor’s and to me, (barring a couple of 90’s models…one a 510, the other an 815ce with mustache bridge & Florentine cutaway), this is the “fullest” sounding Taylor that I’ve owned. I agree that tone is subjective so it’s only fair that I base my remarks/opinions on my personal experiences.

Over the last couple of weeks I’ve discovered the 317 has all of the qualities that you described. The sustain is outstanding. Note definition & clarity are remarkable. All while retaining some very smooth low end. Not just present…but PRESENT. Without falling prey to being “ boomy” or “tubby”.

It has a very nice “voice” that accompanies my vocals very well. It plays and sounds fantastic. I’m looking forward to adding a pickup. For me, the 317 (517/717) is a fantastic offering from Taylor.
Clicks "Like"
Former AGF Moderator
Old 02-08-2022, 11:00 PM

Congrats! Just jumped into the Grand Pacific pool myself. Enjoy!
Old 02-09-2022, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMZ View Post
Congrats! Just jumped into the Grand Pacific pool myself. Enjoy!
I’d love to see pics! How has your GP experience been?
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 02-15-2022, 05:50 AM

Default NGD…Taylor 317

Hi! As a since-1997 Taylor owner of many that had come and gone, I wanted to try a GP after seeing many posts. It took a long time, but was able to try Builders models in Mpls and Rapid City. The 317 I tried -along side builder models last Summer, showed me the GP had elements of round bass note the higher end builder models did and that different Taylor voice offering caught my attention. I thought I’d end up with a rosewood builder model eventually. So when the maple came out, I took a chance (& it paid off thankfully). It just was too dang sweet looking! That being said, mine has the properties of both GP models. I’m astounded they made a maple top do this. It is a deep, resonant, smooth strummer. And I’ve owned a phenominal Martin D 21 special and a Gibson SJ200. Said it before but it’s not the jangly guitar you hear on many videos. GP is just right and I can’t put it down. Orig thread here w soundclip: NGD Taylor AD27e Flametop
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=638028
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1644925817.668940.jpg (55.2 KB, 32 views)
Old 02-15-2022, 02:42 PM

Great looking guitar. Enjoy! (If it were mine the Pick Guard would be gone)
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 02-15-2022, 03:09 PM

Congratulations on a fine guitar! I too just joined the GP club. You can see my new AD27e in another post here. Like you, I went tone hunting. I couldn't believe what I heard when I strummed mine the first time. In fact, the salesperson said I could play any guitar in the "good" room and not find one that sounded like it. For the price, I don't think you can do better.

71 Harmony Sovereign
Taylor AD27e
Yamaha FG-260 12 String
Yamaha FG-730S
Rogue Mandolin
Applecreek Dulcimer

Old 02-17-2022, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMZ View Post
Hi! As a since-1997 Taylor owner of many that had come and gone, I wanted to try a GP after seeing many posts. It took a long time, but was able to try Builders models in Mpls and Rapid City. The 317 I tried -along side builder models last Summer, showed me the GP had elements of round bass note the higher end builder models did and that different Taylor voice offering caught my attention. I thought I’d end up with a rosewood builder model eventually. So when the maple came out, I took a chance (& it paid off thankfully). It just was too dang sweet looking! That being said, mine has the properties of both GP models. I’m astounded they made a maple top do this. It is a deep, resonant, smooth strummer. And I’ve owned a phenominal Martin D 21 special and a Gibson SJ200. Said it before but it’s not the jangly guitar you hear on many videos. GP is just right and I can’t put it down. Orig thread here w soundclip: NGD Taylor AD27e Flametop
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=638028
Beautiful! Thanks for sharing the pic!
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion