The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-06-2010, 08:45 PM

Default Martin bashing

I attended a gathering last week. I was asked to bring my instruments (I play harmonica and guitar).To add to the spirit of the occasion, I wore a Martin logo tee. One of the folks there decided to start telling me how he didn't like Martins. Another guy joined him and they were having a big time talking ugly about Martins. I did not say anythimg. At this point,my guitar (a '72 D 35 12 s) was still in the car.
I wish I had left then,but I had promised our host that I would come and play. The pair of "bashers" were not real accomplished pickers, and had trouble staying in tune. I still didn't say anything. Some of the peoople there were real complementary of my axe, which brought on another round of bashing. I have traded comments with other pickers in the spirit of playing with others. This was over the top. After about on hour,I packed up and headed for the car. Our host thanked us (my wife plays mandolin) for coming,and said he hoped "those guys" didn't bother me. I said that "as a matter of fact,they did bother me" and left.
This was a first for me.In the past I may have reacted a bit more. When I cannot wear a tee shirt,let alone pull out a fine instrument,I think I need new folks to hang with. Just sayin'

'

)
Washburn D61SW (Rosie)Gone to St Croix
Box full of Suzuki Harmonicas

I never saw a purple cow,but I can't rule it out.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:49 PM

Why pay any attention to the opinions of idiots? Ignorance is curable but stupidity is a lifelong chronic condition.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:57 PM

Don't let it bother you.

Reminds me of this one time in high school where this guy tried to beat me up because I said I prefer Chevrolet trucks to Ford trucks. I'm not kidding, he threatened me, got in my face and called me names.

Then, "Fast and Furious" came out and he began driving a "souped-up" Honda.

Point? The ignorant often forever remain ignorant. Can't sweat the small stuff.
Blueridge BR-140A
Ibanez Talman
Harmony Sovereign circa 1970s
Old 06-06-2010, 08:57 PM

Default That stinks

I hate that happened to you. The simple fact is, is that almost every guitar company out ther has great guitars and not so great ones. Either way, those guys have some personal issues that they need to deal with. Mainly the fact that their maturity level reached it's peak at about 6 years old.

Just blow it off and keep rockin that Martin. That is one fine instrument that anyone would love to own.

By the way if this experience has affected you emotionally, your welcome to just send your Martin to me. It will help with the healing proccess
Old 06-06-2010, 09:01 PM

I find that in all sorts of places, where you'd think people would know better. It's not always obvious and sometimes it's a comment here and there that is a little out of place but not completely aggro.

I'm a lifelong IT professional and an Apple user, and I'm completely familiar with the proprietary antipathy some people have about their choices vs. the choices of others. I don't know why people feel the need, feel threatened, need validation or just can't live quietly with whatever it is that bugs them, but there it is - they feel the need and you have to give it your brain time.

I figure Martin bashing is much the same as any other brand bashing, and just tune it out - it's a waste of everyone's time, and I'd rather be picking anyway.

Shill - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shill
Sockpuppet - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sock_puppet_(internet)
Forumspam - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forum_spam
Old 06-06-2010, 09:06 PM

Two ways to look at it.

It's negative energy. A drain on your life force. Something to be avoided.

It's the yin to your yang, The female to your male. The left to your right.

What thoughts lead you to peace?

Like Joseph Campbell said, follow your bliss.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:09 PM

I have dealt with stuff like this all my life-hair too long,bell bottoms,politically out of favor,etc. This was different-mean-spirited. i just prayed for them-no one has the right to burn my energy that way!
Washburn D61SW (Rosie)Gone to St Croix
Box full of Suzuki Harmonicas

I never saw a purple cow,but I can't rule it out.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:14 PM

Rampant insecurity strikes again. If you ride a motorcycle, you know it's ten times worse.

Why can't people just be happy in their choice without trying to prove everyone who made a different choice is an idiot?

Ugh...
Old 06-06-2010, 09:15 PM

Could have been worse.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockard View Post
I attended a gathering last week. I was asked to bring my instruments (I play harmonica and guitar).To add to the spirit of the occasion, I wore a Martin logo tee. One of the folks there decided to start telling me how he didn't like Martins. Another guy joined him and they were having a big time talking ugly about Martins. I did not say anythimg. At this point,my guitar (a '72 D 35 12 s) was still in the car.
I wish I had left then,but I had promised our host that I would come and play. The pair of "bashers" were not real accomplished pickers, and had trouble staying in tune. I still didn't say anything. Some of the peoople there were real complementary of my axe, which brought on another round of bashing. I have traded comments with other pickers in the spirit of playing with others. This was over the top. After about on hour,I packed up and headed for the car. Our host thanked us (my wife plays mandolin) for coming,and said he hoped "those guys" didn't bother me. I said that "as a matter of fact,they did bother me" and left.
This was a first for me.In the past I may have reacted a bit more. When I cannot wear a tee shirt,let alone pull out a fine instrument,I think I need new folks to hang with. Just sayin'
Wow, pathetic, I mean, sure, they are entitled to their opinions, but what they did was over the top! Just say you don't like Martins and move on with life. I mean the fact that you didn't even comment or argue on Martin's behalf, and these guys still did that, tells me they were a few bulbs short of a working string of Christmas lights.

OT:
I like Gibson as well, but lately, they have betrayed their roots. One can only hope they survive and return to making consistently great guitars. I know Martin did in the 70s.
2009 Lanikai LU21
Dunlop shaker egg
Alesis DM10 Pro

Last edited by rlouie; 06-07-2010 at 07:15 AM.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:34 PM

Its really like showing up to a BBQ in your Dodge pickup and then sitting around having a beer and overhearing some dbags bashing Dodge. I wouldnt sweat it, its comon stuff.

....oh and I do hate Dodge vehicles....
Old 06-06-2010, 09:41 PM

There was a time when I thought of people like this as "rude". Not anymore. I eventually learned that they're just stupid! The world is full of idiots! It doesn't surprise me in the least that two of them ended up in the same room at the same time.

I used to play the keyboard a lot. I could do over 400 songs on it at one time. I actually had a friend of mine ask me one evening if you "need to know anything about music to play one of those things". Even his own wife looked at him like he was an idiot. You could've heard a pin drop. I told him, "No. Don't need to know the first thing about music. It's all done with FM". (You know......."Magic")

Last edited by rlouie; 06-07-2010 at 07:15 AM.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akadave View Post
Its really like showing up to a BBQ in your Dodge pickup and then sitting around having a beer and overhearing some dbags bashing Dodge. I wouldnt sweat it, its comon stuff.

....oh and I do hate Dodge vehicles....
Mopar rules!!!! (all others drool)
2009 Lanikai LU21
Dunlop shaker egg
Alesis DM10 Pro
Old 06-06-2010, 09:47 PM

See what I mean? They're everywhere!
Old 06-06-2010, 09:54 PM

Clearly these were not nice folks. But OP, you're too sensitive if this bothers you enough to write a post about it.

There are lots of people in life who will disagree with you and some who will be mean to you, as well. You cannot avoid this, so the best advice I can give is to stop listening to jerks and learn to deal with them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion