The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-16-2022, 06:56 PM

Default Martin D-42 Modern Deluxe

Went ahead and did a pre-order today on one of the new D-42MDs. It is not set to ship until April/May (wont be charged until it ships) and I will have a 15 day period to test it out.

Normally I would like to test out a guitar before a purchase but given where I live I doubt I will come across any Martin dreadnought MD anytime soon.

Has anyone been able to test out the D-42MD? If not what are your thoughts on the other Martin dreadnought MDs?

For the money of a D-42MD they had several other tempting options to pick from online including some Authentic series dreadnoughts that were available to ship immediately. I guess I would like to know what peoples thoughts are that have played ANY of the Martin dreadnought MDs. Does not have to be just a D42.
Old 02-16-2022, 07:11 PM

I wish I could help you but I can't on the D-42 MD. But boy that is one good looking guitar. I did play only one D-28 MD that the shop had and the strings were old and passed their prime and the shop had no interest in changing them. I could tell the guitar had a lot more to it if it had fresh strings. At your price point you have some VERY nice guitars to choose from, I also like the 40 series guitars I have a D-41 that tic's all the boxes. Please keep us posted
Old 02-16-2022, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgepin View Post
I also like the 40 series guitars I have a D-41 that tic's all the boxes. Please keep us posted
Yes they had a D-41 in Ambertone that looked amazing. Starting to second guess myself on if the Modern Deluxe is really worth the money with so many proven models out there for a less expensive or similar price. Heck I could have saved $1000 and gone with a standard D-42. Luckily I have plenty of time to make up my mind.
Old 02-16-2022, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockguy475 View Post
Went ahead and did a pre-order today on one of the new D-42MDs. It is not set to ship until April/May (wont be charged until it ships) and I will have a 15 day period to test it out.

Normally I would like to test out a guitar before a purchase but given where I live I doubt I will come across any Martin dreadnought MD anytime soon.

Has anyone been able to test out the D-42MD? If not what are your thoughts on the other Martin dreadnought MDs?

For the money of a D-42MD they had several other tempting options to pick from online including some Authentic series dreadnoughts that were available to ship immediately. I guess I would like to know what peoples thoughts are that have played ANY of the Martin dreadnought MDs. Does not have to be just a D42.
Hi RG. That new D-42MD really looks good, especially with the torch headstock. I'm sure that's going to be a great guitar.

However, your comment about alternatives at that price point and below merits strong consideration. You mentioned the Authentics... you may have seen a bunch of us here discussing and the D-28CAA (Custom Authentic Aged). It's the same build as a D-28AA only with EIR in place of Madagascar, adjustable truss rod, no VTS, and much more modest aging. Everything else is the same (ultra thin finish, thin top, authentic bracing, hide glue construction, etc). I bought a used one recently and it's the best Martin I have ever owned. Ever. Nothing I've played or owned before comes close, and that includes a D-18A 1937 and 000-18A 1937, and countless others.

The D-18MD and OM-28MD that I had an opportunity to play pre-Covid were very nice guitars. Definitely a big upgrade from their standard line. But they are not in the same league as the D-28CAA either, in my opinion. And their vintage 1930 OM inspired necks are on the shallow side too.

Hope this helps.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 02-17-2022, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
And their vintage 1930 OM inspired necks are on the shallow side too.

Hope this helps.
I'm very curious/excited to try that neck out because I am a smaller framed guy. Only 5'6" (small frame built) so I'm thinking the neck might actually be perfect for me. If only I could try one but it would involve a fairly long drive to the nearest store that carries them.
Old 02-17-2022, 11:32 AM

I have played a good amount of 40 series Martin guitars over the years.
They were all stellar guitars.
They each have that "Martin" sound but still each have their own voice.

Don't expect "The Perfect" guitar and you should love this one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion