The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-14-2022, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
I do not believe Charmed Life sell any Vespel picks now, although they did in the past.
Just to confirm, Charmed Life does sell picks using Vespel. I've played Vespel picks made by Blue Chip and Charmed Life and quite frankly can't tell the difference. Vespel is Vespel. For me it gets down to which company I would rather deal with. I've always preferred the customer service from Charmed Life.

In addition to Vespel picks Charmed Life makes what I feel are some of the best and coolest looking casein picks in the business. They also make a black pick that has a really sweet tone in itself. I switch back and forth between all three composites for reasons of tone and whether I'm playing electric or acoustic.

-jay
'98 SRV Fender Stratocaster
Old 02-15-2022, 08:23 AM

I assume there are so many different guitar sounds because there are so many different preferences. One player's dark is another player's dull. I audition guitars that I would never consider buying, but I think somebody else comes along and thinks it sounds great.

Picks are the same for me. I've tried some I though sounded pretty bad and other people think they're the best. I suppose some of that is the kind of music we play and where we play it (solo or in a group).

Blue Chip are my unequivocal favorites. Not a question of right or wrong, good or bad, but I love the tone they give me, they don't slip in my fingers and they are the best for me when it comes to fast, clean playing.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 02-15-2022, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
I assume there are so many different guitar sounds because there are so many different preferences. One player's dark is another player's dull. I audition guitars that I would never consider buying, but I think somebody else comes along and thinks it sounds great.

Picks are the same for me. I've tried some I though sounded pretty bad and other people think they're the best. I suppose some of that is the kind of music we play and where we play it (solo or in a group).

Blue Chip are my unequivocal favorites. Not a question of right or wrong, good or bad, but I love the tone they give me, they don't slip in my fingers and they are the best for me when it comes to fast, clean playing.
Agreed. And there can also be big variations on tone within the same material depending on thickness. I see people here using Bluechips in 35-40 range and to me, those are way too bright. I prefer the darker tone of 50-60 and I'm sure there are others out there who wouldn't even consider a Bluechip until it hits 80-100.
Old 02-15-2022, 02:15 PM

It’s really interesting how we all hear differently. I like the thicker BC picks on electric but don’t like them on acoustic. To my ears the thicker ones on acoustic sound dull or too dark. The 35 sounds about right to me on acoustic. But for 30 years I have been and still largely am a Fender medium or heavy pick user and that is probably why I like the thinner BC on acoustic.
Old 02-16-2022, 08:53 PM
AGF Sponsor

Yeah, yeah -- you figured I'd come into this thread sooner or later. A few quick things...

For acoustic instruments, the general consensus across the industry is that Vespel and casein are the two best materials out there. Having made several thousand of each, I concur.

However, there will be new pick materials hitting the market for decades to come. As I often tell people -- and this is 100% true -- there are more than a hundred (100) engineering thermoplastic and thermoset polymers in the industry that have never been made into picks, by anyone. In fact DuPont Vespel SP-1 is only one of a family of polyimides that comprises more than a dozen members (and get this -- it's the cheapest of the lot). There are many industrial polymers out there with intriguing ingredients, additives and molecular structures that have huge potential upside for guitar picks. I'm a research nerd with an insatiable curiosity, so I love this stuff. I can tell you as I write this that there are a half dozen with EXTREMELY high promise that I know of. And again, no one is using them.

Casein is a completely bizarre and unique material that holds nothing in common with the aerospace/engineering polymers. It looks, feels and sounds very close to genuine tortoise shell. But then, not everyone who plays TS likes it, let alone loves it. But it's pretty cool stuff, and physically stunning to boot.

In fact casein plastic, which was discovered in 1895, is still known more than a century later as the "queen of all plastics" for its incredible physical beauty, tonal properties, and feel.

Last thing. This will blow your mind.

Casein has been used for millennia as a binder in paint. You will find it in the paintings in the Great Pyramids in Egypt. A few years ago some researchers found cave paintings with casein paint that we carbon dated to 49,000 years old(!). Here's the story if you wanna reach it.

http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/20...est-paint.html

I Love Research!
Memmer

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 02-16-2022 at 09:11 PM.
Old 02-17-2022, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
I can tell you as I write this that there are a half dozen with EXTREMELY high promise that I know of. And again, no one is using them.
Any of them cheaper than vespel?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion