The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-28-2013, 06:06 PM

Default Ngd

Found a good on-line deal on an AP66 and took a chance.
Came in today...Very happy with it so far. Love the mahogany.
Alot of sound from such a little guitar.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:49 PM

Man that is a sexy guitar.

Congrats!

Eastman E10OO
Eastman E1D
Eastman E1OM
Martin 000RS1
Eastman PCH-GACE
Recording King RP-06
Blueridge BR-40T Tenor
Gold Tone TG10 Tenor
Old 05-28-2013, 07:57 PM

That's a good looking guitar! I like that the burst isn't covering the entire face.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:55 AM

Anyone interested in parting with theirs?

I'm looking for an AP710SB or AP66SB. Definitely looking for sunburst option... PM me!
Old 08-29-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go49ners View Post
Anyone interested in parting with theirs?

I'm looking for an AP710SB or AP66SB. Definitely looking for sunburst option... PM me!
A better place for you would be to post a WTB in the classifieds.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenP67 View Post
Found a good on-line deal on an AP66 and took a chance.
Came in today...Very happy with it so far. Love the mahogany.
Alot of sound from such a little guitar.
How is it for strumming? I'm looking for a nice little bluesy strummer, and this could be the ticket!
Old 09-05-2013, 06:30 AM

Any AGF Sponsors selling these?

S
Old 09-05-2013, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naolslager View Post
Still trying to climb down from the ledge at 1000 GAS Avenue. The wi-if access is iffy and it's hard to type while clinging to the building.
Dj
Ha! I love it!!
Old 09-05-2013, 07:19 AM

Same questions as to strumming and sponsors selling?
Old 09-05-2013, 09:57 AM

Glad I grabbed mine when I did.
Love it more and more each day.
Joy to play.
Hope you find one soon.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenP67 View Post
Glad I grabbed mine when I did.
Love it more and more each day.
Joy to play.
Hope you find one soon.
@StephenP - When you say it is a "joy to play", are you playing it with your finger nails? A flatpick? With a strumming motion? With a slide? With a wet fish? Or merely banging it rhythmically against your nearest sibling?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:14 PM

I see that the 66's are becoming more available online, including a-e models. Any one with recent experience playing the 66's please share your thoughts.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:03 PM

Default AP66 Review

Well, I plucked up the courage and ordered one without playing it first. I've tried a number of small acoustics recently, and none of them really hit the spot. I mostly strum with a little flat picking, so I was looking for something that would fill that role. It seems most small guitars are designed for finger-picking, and I certainly tried a few that sounded awful when strummed. I wanted a small strummer with a short scale neck, because I'm a small man with short scale arms... I also wanted it to sound a bit bluesy, the AP70 was reported to be a bit happy sounding for the blues.

So I took a deep breath and ordered the AP66, and it's just about perfect. Compared to my Tanglewood TW15 dread it holds it's own surprisingly well. A little less bassy/boomy, but not much, and a little less loud, but not much either. I'm quite amazed by it, considering the different top woods and different sizes, it sounds remarkably similar. Perhaps the highs are little more 'rounded'? Whatever, I like it.

I've found the 45mm nut ok as well, as opposed to 43mm, in fact, with the short scale and slightly wider nut, it's not unlike putting a capo on the second fret of the TW15. Neck wise, it is slightly thicker than I'm used to, but not absurdly so. It's still pretty easy to use capo on 5 or even 7 for example.

Any issues? I'm not sure if my nut spacing is normal.. The low (thick) E is a bit closer to the edge than the high (thin) E. Almost on the rounded bit of the frets. Something like that is mentioned in the AP70 review in Acoustic Guitar (http://www.acousticguitar.com/Gear/R...ez-AP70-Review), but it's a bit ambiguous as to which E they're referring to (I assumed before I got it that it would be the other way around). Is this normal, other AP66/AP70 owners? I might have to get a new nut done if I can't get used to it. The Nut is also a bit high as it comes, I'm used to about 1mm and this is about 2mm (but I mustn't forget that I had the action lowered on the TW15, so I'll just have to get it done on the AP66 too). I also found I got fret buzz playing G on the low E string when I started trying it out, and it bugged me until I realised that I was hitting the strings harder than I normally would when playing. When I forgot about the buzzing and just played it normally, the buzzing went away!

I'm undecided on the pick guard, some people were thinking of removing it earlier in the thread, did you remove it? If you did could you post a picture please?

Here's a pic of mine with the TW15 on the left and a 3/4 classical on the right:

I've had it a couple of weeks now (I starting writing this in a text file when I got it), and played with a group on sat. All good as far as I can tell, and kept up well enough with a bunch of other (larger) acoustics! I had to use my dread's case as I haven't bought a fitted one yet, and my dread has been out on a stand since then, seems awfully big now, having got used to the 00 size, I may never go back.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanR View Post
Hmmmmm.... I'm interested, as well. Hopefully, one will show up nearby to test drive. Sooner than later

Agreed! Drifting more and more to 0-size and "parlor"! Hope it sounds as good as the RP-06 with a slimmer neck and 1.75 nut with 2 1/4 spacing!

Monkeyfish.. can you give the spacing specs? Is that neck a chunky "C"? Thx, J.D.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:25 PM

Enjoy. I finally got to try a 710sb at local GCS last night. Perdect size for couch but I think I would prefer the hog version

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion