The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-13-2014, 10:55 PM

Default The Do It All Dread

Hey Gang, I'm looking for a dread with a cutaway and 1 3/4" nut. I would like to use this guitar as a "do it all" axe that I can tote around. I'm eye balling a Martin DCPA4 and a Taylor 320ce or 310ce. I typically favor Sitka and 'hog guitars but I'm open to an all 'hog model.

The Martin I played REALLY jumped and had a lot of headroom but it sounded thin when travis picking. I haven't been able to find a Taylor 310/320 dread in town in a LONG time to evaluate. Should I consider any others?
Old 12-14-2014, 12:45 AM

I don't think I would like to say try this one or that one, I will say try to play as many guitars you can and when you hit the right one you will know, you won't want to put it down
Old 12-14-2014, 02:15 AM

The Taylor 320 is a spectacularly good guitar, the best of the mid-market all hog guitars in my opinion. You really can't do better short of moving to Santa Cruz, Bourgeois, etc..

As for "Do It All"... take the time to try some carbon fiber (CF) guitars. I turned my nose up at them for a long time. One day, I realized I needed one simply from the durability perspective... a guitar to take on the boat, take camping, to beach parties, and to travel in a hot car up and down Baja. The big SURPRISE... I am coming to love the tone, and the playability is outstanding. Mine is a Rainsong WS1000 model, not a dread but it has a huge voice. The amazing thing is the perfect balance across the strings, combined with incredible sustain and very little overtones (think Collings maple). In this case, "balance" does not mean less... you get more of everything... treble, mids, bass. At first it sounds a bit sterile without the lushness and warmth of overtones... more and more, I find the crystalline clarity to be an asset, especially when playing with other people... I honestly don't think anything projects better than CF. Tone, playability, projection, flatpick or fingerstyle, amplifies and records exceptionally well, super impact resistant and scratch proof, completely resistant to humidity, heat, and cold. That is truly "Do It All".

I still love wood, emotionally more than CF. It is more aesthetically beautiful than CF can ever be... it is warm in tone, and organic in feel and temperament, and it smells wonderful... wood is less a precision tool, more of a friend. I am very happy to have both.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!

Last edited by billder99; 12-14-2014 at 02:27 AM.
Old 12-14-2014, 02:26 AM

Why not give a new D18 or D15 Custom a try!

"Life has no limit, if you're not afraid to get in it"-Mason Jennings
Old 12-14-2014, 03:11 AM

Personally, I'd stay away from all mahogany if you want a 'do it all' dread. Mahogany topped guitars tend to be more of a 'niche' sound to my ears, great for bluesy kinda stuff but maybe not as good for other stuff.

YMMV...
Old 12-14-2014, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon/Tinker View Post
Personally, I'd stay away from all mahogany if you want a 'do it all' dread. Mahogany topped guitars tend to be more of a 'niche' sound to my ears, great for bluesy kinda stuff but maybe not as good for other stuff.

YMMV...
You said it before I could. Mahogany-topped guitars can sound wonderful, but they're simply not as versatile as spruce-topped guitars, or have as many tone colors available to them.

whm
Old 12-14-2014, 06:07 AM

Like mentioned above, I'd stick with a Sitka top given what you're looking for. If you could get a used D-18 and then add electronics you'd have a great dread in the upper of your price range.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:28 AM
Charter Member

Prior to reading your entire post (just the "Do It All Dread") like several others here, the D-18 popped into my head. You won't find one with a cutaway (unless you have it built) but it's about as good a sitka/mahogany dread at it's price point you're likely to find in my opinion. Take that and a couple of bucks and you can maybe get a cup of coffee somewhere? Best of luck!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 12-14-2014, 07:09 AM

If you don't care about the name on the headstock...
Try an Alvarez MD70ce. Or an MD60ce.
Only real diff between them is the rosewood back and sides on the 70 vs the mahogany on the 60.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 12-14-2014, 08:05 AM

I have always considered the Godin dreads as "do it all". Many of them are available with a cutaway and the Seagulls have the wider nut width. They aren't boomy and are usually very well balanced.

The spruce topped ones are really versatile. The cedar topped ones are pretty versatile too, unless you need to drive them hard. They might be a bit more oriented to fingerstyle, but they can still handle everything else just fine.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:39 AM

Check out some of the Taylor DN series guitars. The DN3 and DN4 are nice.

Also, any of the Martin standard series are great. I personally love D35's the best.

Doerr/Taylor
Old 12-14-2014, 11:40 AM

I'll throw in my two cents but I like the Gibson Songwriter series for what you describe.
Anderson Crowdster Plus
Anderson Crowdster 2+
Takamine EF-360S
Old 12-14-2014, 12:12 PM

Don't ignore Breedlove either. They make some really good all-rounders imho.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:24 PM

The 320 is a fantastic guitar. That's the one I'd go for.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 12-14-2014, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

I really don't think any dread is a do-it-all guitar, unless, of course, you define "all" as "the things a dread can do." Dreads can be pretty versatile, however. I think it's important, though, to say more clearly what you want it to do. Then I think people can give you better guidance.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion