The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-13-2012, 10:11 PM
*mahoganut*

Default Case Strap Recommendation

Hi all. Recently I purchased a Calton case from another AGF member for my Mayes OO. The guitar fit perfectly in the case, and I've ordered a Colorado Case Cover for wet weather and additional shock and temp/humidity protection.

I don't know if the Calton comes from the factory with a case strap or not, but there are two D rings located in great positions on the top of the case, and recently I'd noticed that there were occasions when using a strap would be very helpful. I have a handful of "those" black nylon w/ plastic hardware, but I've never been impressed with the comfort nor completely trusting of the "hardware" so I went looking for an upgraded strap.

I thought first it would be great to talk to one of the custom guitar strap makers, but then thought about having a cool leather (and pricey) strap out in the elements at times. I then searched for luggage straps, and voila! There it was. There may be other straps out there this good, but for my money this was perfect.

It's made for/by Tom Bihn - a Seattle based soft bag maker of several decades (I'd never heard of them but their gear looks great). The strap is their upgraded model - the "Absolute Shoulder Strap", and in addition to the 1.5" nylon adjustable (20" - 52") ends, it has a center section of curved, angled neoprene which give both a soft contact and a "spring-loaded" suspension that is very comfortable. I have a couple of rifle slings made this same way, and they have the same comfortable suspension. The strap has some very nice matte black snaphooks.

Pricey? A bit. $30 for the strap, and $9 for UPS shipping conus. But it's a great strap, well made, and will make carrying the Calton a pleasure when I need to take the load off my hands.

Cheers all!

Phil

http://www.tombihn.com/accessories/TB0505.html

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion