The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-12-2017, 05:04 PM

I can be too fast for my own good. When I hear something I like I just want to play it. Then I hit the 'record' button and I realize I'm not even close! (I don't hit the record button much anymore which allows me to stay in some sort of dreamland.)
Old 05-12-2017, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
For me, it depends on the complexity of the arrangement, if I'm improvising and of course getting that 'feel' and 'groove' into my DNA. Given those factors, anywhere from 5 minutes to 5 months.
I'll add my name to this analysis.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 05-12-2017, 08:29 PM

Depends on the song and complexity anywhere from 3 mins to 2 months.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
... do you consider yourself quick or slow to work out a song to make it performance ready. I consider myself a little slow, but I'm getting better at it.
Tom, you know I don't mean this to sound snarky, but what difference does it make? The important thing is not how quick we learn, but that we learn. The people we perform for don't need to know or care about how long we've been working on something, they only care about the finished product. Interesting discussion, of course, but I don't like to feed myself negative thoughts, like "You're taking too long on this, others can do it quicker." I much prefer, "Hey, I can do this if I just stay after it."

cotten
Old 05-12-2017, 08:41 PM

I'm a pretty good BS'er, and can (and have done) a version of a song almost right away. If I can remember the lyrics I can often play a passable version of it.

It helps if its a Dylan song (or some other artist that forgets their own verses and doesn't have that great a singing voice). If I start to fall apart, I'll end up making it into a satire of said performer.

And I doubt I ever completely play it the way the original was performed. If you want that, there's a jukebox.

I always end up playing my version of a certain song, particularly when it comes to soloing. If a song has certain licks or phrases at certain points in the solo I'll hit them when necessary, but everything in between is all me.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

Slow, so slow.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
For many tunes that can play well enough technically I continue to discover new ways of expressing them musically - that can go on for some time, perhaps forever.
This and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
...But instrumental pieces...can take longer. Maybe I can learn most of a new instrumental in about a week, but getting it performance ready might take anywhere from a couple of months or longer, maybe years. Some stuff is just plain hard, at least for me; some stuff is fairly easy.
this.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:48 AM

I do everything slow. i play out on weekends, and even the songs i've been playing for 50 years i'll screw up somewhere along the line.as far as learning; well like everyone says : it all depends on the song.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:12 AM
Guest4562

Most of the songs I do are formulaic musically, so it's usually a matter of memorizing lyrics for me, therefore pretty quick.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
For me, it depends on the complexity of the arrangement, if I'm improvising and of course getting that 'feel' and 'groove' into my DNA. Given those factors, anywhere from 5 minutes to 5 months.
+1

It really depends on the tune. Does it follow a recognized pattern or style? Is the rhythm syncopated and challenging to groove? Is it difficult to sing and play at the same time? Does it push the limits of my ability, technically speaking?

Most gigs that I play will have at least a few songs that are newly learned or composed. It makes the performance more exciting for me. I won't say that everything is slick before I present it to an audience. If there are stumbles, it will certainly be better the next time I play that piece. I like improvisation, energy, and emotion more than slick performance. Ideally, both qualities are there, but I prefer the former to the latter (both as a performer and an audience).

2018 Furch D31TSR
2008 Martin OMCRE
1992 Takamine EAN20C
1996 Fender Telecaster w/ Barden Nashville set
1986 Charvel Model 5
2005 Art & Lutherie Ami
1980ish Hohner copy of a 'burst
Old 05-13-2017, 09:44 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
Tom, you know I don't mean this to sound snarky, but what difference does it make? The important thing is not how quick we learn, but that we learn. The people we perform for don't need to know or care about how long we've been working on something, they only care about the finished product. Interesting discussion, of course, but I don't like to feed myself negative thoughts, like "You're taking too long on this, others can do it quicker." I much prefer, "Hey, I can do this if I just stay after it."

cotten
Hey John. I couldn't agree more. It really makes no difference. I don't see it as a competition. I was just curious...at times I feel I should be a quicker study than I am after all these years. It doesn't stop me at all though.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Of course, song complexity, available time, one's need for degree of accuracy and performance add-one (effects) are factors, but generally speaking, do you consider yourself quick or slow to work out a song to make it performance ready. I consider myself a little slow, but I'm getting better at it.
Hi A-cado

I can get a song audience-friendly quickly, and then over the course of the next few months the arrangement will grow.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion