The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Best choice?
Buy and return after appointment. 1 1.59%
Buy and keep. 24 38.10%
Just bring the McPherson Sable. 32 50.79%
Punt - you should be too old to care. 6 9.52%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-17-2024, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefsb View Post
I voted "punt" but really I'd give a different answer from the offered 4.

I would not adjust my hearing to optimize for guitar sound. Optimize for ineligibility of speech instead. That's way more important than my sense of the "correctness" of how a guitar sounds.
I was going to add that as well. This is sage advice.
Old 04-17-2024, 07:24 AM

Buy and keep. Come on. Anyone who can afford an RV can afford another guitar, right?
Old 04-17-2024, 07:27 AM

Quote:
. . . I would not adjust my hearing to optimize for guitar sound. Optimize for ineligibility of speech instead. That's way more important than my sense of the "correctness" of how a guitar sounds. . . .
Heh heh. I'd gladly buy hearing aids that would tune out what people around me are saying!
Old 04-17-2024, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

I think youre asking for orthodontic advice for hen’s teeth. I think “punt” is my vote, without the editorial.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 04-17-2024, 07:39 AM

I'm not sure if the OP has previously had hearing aids and is getting a newer pair OR if this is new aids for the first time?

IF, it's first time using aids, things aren't going to work as you think, your brain has to *adjust* to the hearing aids as they present the sounds to you.

If that's the case wait until you *hear & adjust* to your new aids.

I've got top of the line aids and there's only so much they can do.

Hearing aids ARE primarily for speech.
Old 04-17-2024, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
i find it unethical to deliberately buy a guitar intending to use it then return it.
I totally agree with Fazool!
Old 04-17-2024, 08:05 AM

My Dad's hearing aids have an app with multiple customizable settings. He doesn't play guitar any longer but has one setting dialed in for listening to music, one for watching tv and one for general use/conversation and one for restaurants. If you're hoping to dial them in to guitar, bring a guitar you know the sound of, not something you just picked up.
Old 04-17-2024, 08:13 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassingThru View Post
I'm getting new hearing aids on May 2nd. I will be bringing an acoustic with me for the audiologist to tweak the Music setting for me. I still remember what a Martin sounds like in my hands. I want to bring a wooden Martin with me to the appointment. Problem, I don’t have a Martin with me in the RV.

I do have several options.

Buy one from Guitar Center and return it after the appointment.

Buy one and keep it (like this one best) darn the RV humidity control issues. I would just keep it in the case with humidipaks and play it like I owned it.

Just bring my McPherson Sable.

To buy and keep, I’m just an over the hill singer/songwriter and that appreciates the Martin feel and sound. Torn between the D and 000 in an 18 or 28. Still trying to decide if a modern deluxe is the way to go.

Any performing would be at open mikes or busking.

Any thoughts or comments will be appreciated.
I'd say you're buying the wrong hearing aids.

The pair I bought, made by Jabra, have a music setting on them, and it makes all the difference in the world.

They were recommended to me by an old friend who is an avid guitar player, and die-hard Martin guitar fan.

The problem that many hearing aids have is that they don't have a setting that allows ambient noise, and THOSE are the sounds that make playing an acoustic guitar enjoyable.

Most have noise-gates which cancel all the quiet, extraneous sounds so that speech is easier to hear.

If I need to 'hear' what someone is saying I'll read their lips, but don't mess with my guitar tonality perception:-)

Best regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 04-17-2024, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Second hearing aid rodeo. First pair going on six years. New pair will be Jabra Enhance with settings for speech, music, etc.
Old 04-17-2024, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Just go buy a Martin. 000 if you want to noodle around the house. Get a D if you want one primarily for performing. Good luck on your hearing aids.
2022 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Taylor American Dream AD27 Mahogany
2007 Breedlove AC250/SM-12
2006 Breedlove AD20/SR Plus
2003 Martin 000C-16SGTNE
2000 Taylor 410ce
1990 Martin Shenandoah
(< 1990 a bunch of great old Yamahas I lost track of)

My music: https://pro.soundclick.com/dannybowman
Old 04-17-2024, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassingThru View Post
Second hearing aid rodeo. First pair going on six years. New pair will be Jabra Enhance with settings for speech, music, etc.
This is what I have. But regardless of setting, one won't be able to set them up or tune them for a specific brand or sound of a guitar. The music setting is somewhat helpful in that regard. But there is no magic there and one's guitar still doesn't REALLY sound like a natural acoustic. Like most hearing aids, these too are primarily designed to help with speech clarity.

B
Old 04-17-2024, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
i find it unethical to deliberately buy a guitar intending to use it then return it.
I agree with Fazool, but the logic just escapes me, get your hearing aids some how tuned to a guitar you are going to take back? What does that accomplish? I voted to take what you have if you think it will help. Unless you are just looking for an excuse, then by all means go buy a Martin. But myself, I try to make do.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 04-17-2024, 10:22 AM

Is renting an option? Say rent a nice Martin for a few days before and after your appointment.
Old 04-17-2024, 10:25 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
I voted "punt" but really I'd give a different answer from the offered 4.

I would not adjust my hearing to optimize for guitar sound. Optimize for ineligibility of speech instead. That's way more important than my sense of the "correctness" of how a guitar sounds.

I can get used to how a guitar sounds. Saying "huh?" and "say again" etc. and all the guessing/faking/bluffing is really tiresome.
I believe that modern hearing aids have custom setting 'modes' so one can change the mode if they are in a crowded public space with a lot of ambient noise, or sitting quietly at home watching television. It sounds like there is an option for a 'music' mode or something related specifically to instrumentation.

I hope so, anyway, as I'm sure to be in line for HAs in the coming years...

Edit to add: Now I am intrigued by how they can adjust HAs to account for all of the underlying overtones that are naturally produced from stringed instruments, while also filtering out (or attempting to filter out) the unrelated ambient noise... seems like there would be an inherent contradiction in trying to capture the full audio spectrum that an acoustic guitar produces while also trying to clean it the 'other sounds'. Interesting topic, though...
Old 04-17-2024, 10:39 AM

The Sable will have a lot of bass and less highs when you program your aids. But, if that’s what you’re playing most of the time, use it. Otherwise, get what you want. The Modern Deluxe models are brighter/louder than the standard counterparts.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion