The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-17-2024, 04:16 PM

Default Avalon A2-20

So I am in the market for a new acoustic guitar. I am primarily a fingerstyle Jazz guitar player and own several archtops. The steel string acoustic I currently own is a Marti n CEO7 and I am looking to get something to complement it. I have owned everything from Martin D-18s, Larivee, Martin 00-28, Blueridge BR-341, Taylor 514-CE...these were all nice guitars but I ended up focusing on jazz tone and archtops and got rid of them.

I love my Martin CEO7 but have been searching for something different to complement it... not looking for a dread. I am considering a Spruce, rosewood combo to complement my mahogany Adirondack CEO7. I hate ultra bright guitars and the opposite "muffle" tone extremely dark tones.

In any event, I have played lots of guitar but had the opportunity to play an Avalon several years ago and loved it. I have an opportunity to buy an A2-20 but won't be able to try it before buying ...there is very little on it or videos on YouTube. Can any owners of this instrument comment on it. I know it's a vague request.

The video below is a good representation if what I play on acoustic and my style...combo of pop, classical, jazz etc..

https://youtu.be/4aoXl10aq9I?si=SXFu0a0uvsDID7eY
Old 04-17-2024, 10:00 PM

Grant, I have watched many of your YouTube videos. I can't believe you've let all those sweet guitars go. I have no experience with Avalon. Have you considered a guitar with a mahogany top. It seems to me that perhaps an all mahogany 000, or OM might have just enough warmth of tone to fit your jazz style.
Old 04-18-2024, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Carr View Post
Grant, I have watched many of your YouTube videos. I can't believe you've let all those sweet guitars go. I have no experience with Avalon. Have you considered a guitar with a mahogany top. It seems to me that perhaps an all mahogany 000, or OM might have just enough warmth of tone to fit your jazz style.
I have tried a Martin 00015M and I do enjoy those guitars..I like the 12 fret slotted headstock ones...maybe I'll look into those as well.
Old 04-18-2024, 06:01 AM

To my ear an Avalon is nothing like an archtop, which may be why it's on your list - or not. I would love the extra sustain, but I don't know if you would.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 04-18-2024, 07:07 AM

Nice style! Keep on pluckin'!
Old 04-18-2024, 07:30 AM

I can't help you regarding the A2-20, but nice playing on the CEO-7.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 04-18-2024, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

Can't help on the actual instrument but I have an Avalon d300a that I bought sight unseen that I love. Avalon has great build quality and supposedly pretty high consistency between builds which would lead me to believe you will find the a2 to be similar to the one you played.

Last edited by Aspiring; 04-18-2024 at 01:17 PM.
Old 04-18-2024, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Based on your video clip I believe you would enjoy the Avalon very much. It will have great overtones and not veer toward the too bright or too warm categories. Their note separation is very good and will challenge your fingering accuracy in a good way - paying nice dividends in sustain! I often regret selling my A1-20...its tone was great and the build quality was the equal to the various Lowdens I've owned, in other words, great. I don't believe buying this particular instrument from a reputable seller without first playing it carries a high risk. Good luck, Dan

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion