The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-04-2010, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
Pretty sure all of them had the sigs under the top. I owned the guitar for 10 years before I read somewhere about it and when I stuck a mirror in it .sure enough it's signed on the underside of the top by alot of people. Mike Longworth may be one of the guys that added some value?...don't know if your prototype would be signed or not...I'd check it!!
I wil have to check that out. Not sure if prototype would have it. I also seemed to think the prototype may have some different features...can you post some pics up of yours?

Here are some of my Prototype:

Olson Brazilian Dread #1325
Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
Olson Tiger Myrtle Dread #1355
Olson Brazilian Jumbo #1351
Olson 12-string Jumbo (one of only a few)
Martin D-42 Johnny Cash #51/200 (only 80 made)
And a few others

Quite a few limited edition and rare Martins
-----------------

http://www.kekomusic.com
Old 07-04-2010, 06:34 AM

Would there be any risk of the original owner showing up and saying "I paid my loan off - I demand you return MY guitar!"?
David's CDs
Old 07-04-2010, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dberch View Post
Would there be any risk of the original owner showing up and saying "I paid my loan off - I demand you return MY guitar!"?
Sounds like a personal problem of the old owner.

Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
And a few others

-----------------

Old 07-04-2010, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpabolting View Post
I wil have to check that out. Not sure if prototype would have it. I also seemed to think the prototype may have some different features...can you post some pics up of yours?

Here are some of my Prototype:

Mine looks zackly like yours....except the pins...are those the original ones. Mine came with plastic with abalone inlay "I think"..
Old 07-04-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Mine looks zackly like yours....except the pins...are those the original ones. Mine came with plastic with abalone inlay "I think"..
Sorry, I should have said I changed them to FWI (fossilized walrus ivory). I have the originals.

They are beautiful guitars, I have never actually seen one for sale so the OP is lucky!

Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
And a few others

-----------------

Old 07-04-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:
They are beautiful guitars, I have never actually seen one for sale so the OP is lucky!
Which leads to my question: How did you end up with a prototype? I'm hoping there's an interesting story behind it.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmarshall View Post
Which leads to my question: How did you end up with a prototype? I'm hoping there's an interesting story behind it.
I got it from a guy who had a collection and I literally bought 8 guitars that day, with this being the one out of the group I really wanted. So when I looked at the package buy, I made $4000 or so and I got this one for free.

Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
And a few others

-----------------

Old 07-05-2010, 12:09 AM
Charter Member

Well, I ended up buying it, and got a chance today to clean her up a little and put some fresh strings on her. Once my luthier gets back from Montreal, I'll have him look it over and give me an idea about whether the frets can be dressed, or if he'll have to replace the first 4 or 5. The rest of the guitar looks to be in good shape, although it's definitely been played alot - but no complaints from me.

Interestingly, I never even noticed the 1-11/16" nut, which I tend to stay away from - on this neck, it doesn't feel tight. The inlays are very tasteful, and the back has a fascinating multi-color centerstrip, while the front has standard herringbone binding around the outside, but the double pearl rosettes around the oversize soundhole. I hadn't looked inside, but it does have a couple dozen signatures in black ink on the soundboard, including large ones from C F Martin and Lester Wagner, as well as the signatures on the label - Tone seems to me to be classic Martin - no complaints there, for sure!

These pics aren't very good, but the best I could do today. Once I have had it gone over and played it a bunch more, I'll try to take some better ones-

Thanks to everyone for the info and encouragement. This is my first Martin, and the second dreadnaught I've ever owned (the first went away in days), but this may yet turn out to be a long term keeper! Tad

Old 07-05-2010, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
Well, I ended up buying it, and got a chance today to clean her up a little and put some fresh strings on her. Once my luthier gets back from Montreal, I'll have him look it over and give me an idea about whether the frets can be dressed, or if he'll have to replace the first 4 or 5. The rest of the guitar looks to be in good shape, although it's definitely been played alot - but no complaints from me.

Interestingly, I never even noticed the 1-11/16" nut, which I tend to stay away from - on this neck, it doesn't feel tight. The inlays are very tasteful, and the back has a fascinating multi-color centerstrip, while the front has standard herringbone binding around the outside, but the double pearl rosettes around the oversize soundhole. I hadn't looked inside, but it does have a couple dozen signatures in black ink on the soundboard, including large ones from C F Martin and Lester Wagner, as well as the signatures on the label - Tone seems to me to be classic Martin - no complaints there, for sure!

These pics aren't very good, but the best I could do today. Once I have had it gone over and played it a bunch more, I'll try to take some better ones-

Thanks to everyone for the info and encouragement. This is my first Martin, and the second dreadnaught I've ever owned (the first went away in days), but this may yet turn out to be a long term keeper! Tad

You got a really nice deal on a very special guitar. I would have bought one of those in a second just to be a playing guitar since my other is a prototype because I think it is such a good sounding and playing guitar.

Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
And a few others

-----------------

Old 07-05-2010, 09:48 AM

Default Here's the sig's!!!

Here is a pic of mine with a mirror in the sound hole. You can see the sig's underneath the top!!!

It's really a "special" Martin. If you ever want to sell it????

Last edited by $ongWriter; 07-05-2010 at 09:49 AM. Reason: ad words
Old 07-05-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Here is a pic of mine with a mirror in the sound hole. You can see the sig's underneath the top!!!

It's really a "special" Martin. If you ever want to sell it????
Not sure what you mean.

Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
And a few others

-----------------

Old 07-06-2010, 03:34 PM

Default ??

Quote:
Not sure what you mean.
Not sure about what?....
Old 07-06-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:

Dang Tad you have really gone through lots of guitar changes in the last month or so... I bet its confusing. You have let several go from some posts I have read. I think this will be a nice compliment to your Cruz, louder than your Larrivee's and just an overall great fit to the herd.

Interesting you did this as I have been posting over at the UMGF for an older D28. I will be looking at a 91 soon. I think it will be a great counterpart to my D/PW custom. Two different guitars. Not sure what got me started on it... I guess I started thinking of how many musical careers were cut using a D28 and it just went from there. Great catch you have there... Come over to SCGC players forum and tell us about how it compares to the Cruz. I bet Magwa will be excited...and jealous

CONGRATS!!!!
Old 07-06-2010, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

Thanks!

Yeah - quite a few changes recently. I keep thinking I have finally "refined" my interests, and cured myself of GAS, and then . . . well . . . it's a sickness - what can I say.

I have a few Larrivees - 3 of which aren't going anywhere, but a couple I'd like to sell or trade for something different. Not really sure what though. I've also gotten a few Santa Cruz's now, and they are really wonderful. Then the J. Patterson, which is a unique shortscale handmade, really a sweet and special guitar -

But this Martin - well, I didn't intend to buy it. I'd heard about it a few times, and said it would be fun to check it out, but once I played it a few minutes, it was pretty obvious it was quite different from any Larrivee I'd ever had, and also from the SC's. Not better - just a different but very familiar and comfortable sound. Not needing another guitar, I kinda wished he'd priced it out of reach - kinda -

But if Magwa takes a shine to it, I may not be able to hang onto it - although I don't think its quite his specs, I'd be privileged letting it spend some time in his music room -

I'll definitely put some pics and feedback up on the SC forum, once I get the fret / setup issues resolved, and had a couple months to really get to know her better. Good luck in your hunt!
Old 11-22-2010, 04:49 PM

I'm looking at one of these guitars and am going to the shop in a few weeks to try it out. Are you still enjoying it or do you wish you bought something else? I would really like to know.

Quote:
Thanks all - I went with my gut, and offered him a price that should leave me a little room for the fretwork ( replace first 5 probably )and set-up that I think it needs, and he somewhat begrudgingly accepted it. Once the cash was in his hand, I think he felt pretty good about it.

I have to clean it all up, replace the 5 year old strings, and I'll get some pics up for those interested.

I took my SC 000 with me so I could do a comparison with a guitar I've been playing alot recently, and the Martin tone really impressed me - won't say it blew the Santa Cruz away, but it sure does sound good - very balanced, but a strong bass -

Thanks all for the info - I think this is gonna be fun! And wow, I bought my first Martin!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion