The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-13-2015, 02:49 PM

Default String recs anyone

Hi everyone,

I'm really enjoying my new Martin 00028 Custom. It has a Adi top and 1/4in scalloped Sitka braces. Being a 28, it has EIR b/s. Any string suggestions? I do a mix of picking and strumming with a medium to light hand.

Fender Mexican Tele
Samick C4 Nylon
Mom's Mexican street vendor nylon, Pre 1970
Old 08-13-2015, 02:52 PM

I own a 000-42 with similar specs. I use medium gauge John Pearse 80/20 strings on mine. I don't care for it at all with phosphor bronze strings on it.

Most people who get a Triple O prefer light gauge strings on them. But make a point of trying some strings in an 80/20 alloy.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 08-13-2015, 03:10 PM

Thanks Wade. I suspect that I'll end up with lights, but I'll try both mediums and lights. I really appreciate your insight.

Fender Mexican Tele
Samick C4 Nylon
Old 08-13-2015, 03:26 PM

I have an Eastman E8-OM (so sitka top vs. your adi), but my favorite string so far--after owning the guitar for about 3 years--has been the Martin FX Custom Lights phosphor bronze...now renamed Flexible Core SP Custom Lights. Gauges .011/.052. These things settle down fairly quickly (they come across as overly zingy for the first few hours), but then give great tone, seem to last forever, and are especially good about keeping the voice of the bass E string clear and articulate (some strings let the E go muddy/thuddy way too fast) for a surprisingly long time. They're also especially good for finger style, since they bend easily when desired, are easy on the fingers, yet drive the guitar top quite well, so that the depth and complexities of the rosewood are given proper voice.

YMMV, of course. And I wouldn't discount the idea that adirondack might want at least one step up in string weight to get the same performance I get on my sitka/EIR. (Yes, I'm theorizing here.)

But for me, every time I stray into mediums or over to 80/20 or whatever in Martins or other brands (tried Pearse and Peavey, and a short foray into Elixirs), I find myself missing what I enjoy about the FX. I realized the other day that I hadn't tried the FX regular Lights or the Coated SP, so I ordered some of each to experiment. But I also ordered several sets of the Custom Lights...learned my lesson.

Good luck finding what sounds best on your lovely guitar!

Dirk
Old 08-13-2015, 03:38 PM

I've been very happy with the Martin Retro strings on all of my acoustics. I think they are also still on sale at musician's friend for $4.99 a set too.

Martin * Pre-War Guitars * Brothers Music
Old 08-13-2015, 06:49 PM

The guitar sounds great. I find that it's not quite as loud as I was expecting with the light bracing, but it doesn't really need to be. What it gave me the most appreciation for is how good some of the laminate b/s guitars are. I had a 000x1, and while it wasn't nearly as good, it still sounded I would say 75% as good to my ear. For 1/6 the price, that says something about how they're voicing the hpl models.

Fender Mexican Tele
Samick C4 Nylon

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion