The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-12-2001, 09:48 AM

Question Matching Model to Music?

Query:

I may be interested in a Taylor, especially since I've heard nothing but overwhelmingly positive things about the guitars, the company, etc. But which models are best for fingerstyle blues? Do Taylors have a booming bass, or is the sound much more even across bass & treble strings?

If you want to succeed, you should strike out on new paths rather than travel the worn paths of accepted business. John D. Rockefeller

Uncork New York!
Old 06-12-2001, 10:03 AM
Bob Womack

Hi!

Taylors are known for a balanced sound between bass and treble. They typically don't have a really boomy bass.

I'd head towards a rosewood body and sitka spruce top for fingerstyle blues. The body type will vary depending upon your playing style. If you want a fingerstyle instrument but want to do some light strumming, the Grand Auditoriums are an excellent choice. They have some of the best balance between bass and treble. Two for you to look at which are specific to your style are the 814 and the John Cephas Signature Model. Joh is a fingerstyle bluesman.

Just my opinion. Your mileage my vary.

Bob
Old 06-12-2001, 10:47 AM

Cool

My pick for figerstyle blues would have to be a 614. So much presence in this guitar make it perfect for what I consider figerstyle blues. With Blues you need a lot of high and some Bass. It all comes down to your paticular style. I think for me the 614 would work best and I dont even own one and still play figerstyle blues. I play on just about any light strung guitar but I still think the 614 shines better for the high notes it can deliver like no other and still produce good bass. JW
Old 06-12-2001, 11:45 AM

I think that for the old style fingerstyle blues small guitar sound, you might want to look at the x12 models. At least compare the x14's with the x12's.

Brett
Old 06-12-2001, 12:46 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Cool

Hi, GuitarDad! Welcome to the forum. My vote for a good fingerstyle blues guitar would go to either the 814CE or the 614CE, depending on your particular style. If you like to have thicker bass lines in your playing, the 814CE is definitely the way to go. The 614CE offers a very balanced string-to-string response, and most players use this to accentuate the high-end, rather than the bass lines. Of course, plugged in, the sound can be tailored (Taylored? ) to your liking even further.

If I bought the 814CE, personally, I'd opt for the engelmann spruce top option. Otherwise, you might find the guitar a bit too bass-heavy (which might be a good thing depending on your style). The engelmann will give you a more "crisp" top-end.

If these are out of your price range, the 414CE is an exceptional value, offering sound that is similar to the 414CE for a lot less money. Ovangkol sounds a lot like rosewood to my ears, with more of a mid boost.

....but the best judge is your own ears. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to go play as many models as you can and then report back with what you find.

J.R.
Old 06-12-2001, 12:51 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks to all of you for your comments. Seems like the x14 is the winner. I haven't tried a '14 yet, but hope to soon. I have tried a '12, and it was spectacular.

"Taylored"...very funny!

If you want to succeed, you should strike out on new paths rather than travel the worn paths of accepted business. John D. Rockefeller

Uncork New York!
Old 06-12-2001, 01:49 PM

I'd recommend a 512 for purely acoustic blues, and either a 514 or 714 for a more versatile guitar. Yes, I've had em both.

gregc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion