The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-10-2004, 09:26 PM

Default Newbie Forum Member :)

Hi Folks, I am brand new to posting on this site and have registered because I need some guidance. I am in pursuit of either a pre-owned 614ce or 814ce.

What should I be concerned with if I purchased on eBay? Do you all know some quality vendors?

I am mostly a strummer leading praise and worship at my church and desire to upgrade my instrument. Any suggestions or guidance is most appreaciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:41 PM

Welcome aboard, Craigster.

I'd trust this forum's "Marketplace" section before treading into eBay waters... too much craziness on eBay for me to plunk that kind of money down. The folks here on Marketplace are 99.99% straight-up, from what I've seen and heard. That's not to say that everyone on eBay is a crook, but that's a good amount of money to chance.

Plenty of good info here on the forum... take what you need, share what you can.

If at first you don't succeed, find comfort in the fact that the grapes were probably sour anyway...
Old 04-10-2004, 11:47 PM

Lightbulb

Hi Welcome to AGF. Try our General Market Place before going to else where. You can post WTB (Want to Buy) the guitars you want. eBay is more risky, although you may get a good price because it is a bigger market. If you have to go to eBay, you should check the seller's feedback rating to see how good he is and how many Taylor guitars or any other acoustic guitars or musical instrument he sold. Communication is the key. You should ask a lot of questions about the merchandise, shipping, payment, etc. His answers will tell you a lot about him. Ask his phone numbers. Ask him, if you have a friend who lives in his town to test the guitar for you. Ask him the reason he is selling his guitar. A lot of questions will help. If the seller cannot or doesn't want to answer important questions, you should not bid at all. There are a lot of used 614ce and 814ce every where. You will get one. Be patient. Don't rush because you want it. I think you will get more advices. Everybody looks after each other here. And don't forget to post the progress of your Taylor hunting later too. Good luck to you.
612C COTTEN little sister
XXMC i'm sensitive
Old 04-11-2004, 04:20 AM

Great advice given so far here, Craigster, and welcome aboard. I've bought and sold a couple guitars both here and through eBay, and no matter where you buy, communication is the key. Nothing feels creepier than sending a couple $Ks into the ether if you don't know and trust the seller.

I might add that while our forum is a great place to find a good used guitar, and the one I certainly prefer, anyone can join it, so the usual cautions pertain.

Remember, no question for the seller is a dumb question. If he/she won't or can't answer, RUN! And of course, no matter where you buy, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. [E.g.: The mint HD-28 for $900 that recently slid through this market place and the UMGF, and the el cheapo "Taylor" 914 knockoff currently on eBay @ http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...7102866&rd=1.]

The bottom line before the bottom line is GOOD COMMUNICATION.

Happy hunting!
Old 04-11-2004, 07:02 AM

Welcome to the family!! I prefer the 800 series for stumming but either guitar would be a great guitar for your purpose. Make sure you come back often.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion