The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-10-2006, 10:05 PM

Default Tone Varience

I've been reading a few threads, and this thought just occured to me. Since I don't have that much experience with playing guitars that are the same model with the same tonewood, I don't really know how much a guitars tone will vary due to how fine the grain is, thickness of polish etc. I guess it would be easier to put my question this way.

I've been looking at a cedar/mahog GS recently, but it has electronics on it. Because i'm not too interested in electronics, I have been thinking of ordering an acoustic only version of the guitar. I'm very satisfied with the sound I was getting out of that particular guitar, and now that I've got the money, and I'm about to go back I just wanted to know if I could expect the same sound out of a different guitar if it has all of the same specs (minus the expression system of course) or if there is a chance that the tone could be drastically different in comparison to the original guitar that I played.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

Guitars vary quite a bit... the same specs from the same manufacturer will have differences if only from the density of the exact pieces of wood used. Drastic? Probably not. But there might be some, for sure.

However, Taylor is a pretty consistent company, and I've liked the GS's I've played (I got one myself). If you like the ES, I'd get the one you like... and if you don't, I'd find one elsewhere. You might be able to order on approval from a different shop, too.

Good luck!

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion