The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-30-2024, 09:17 AM

Maybe the LR Baggs Lyric would fit the bill.
Old 04-30-2024, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsum View Post
Maybe the LR Baggs Lyric would fit the bill.
I had thought about the Lyric. The price of it in the UK tends be be a touch higher than I wanted to spend, but it turns out there's an eBay seller with a better price.
Also double bass, electric bass, cittern, mandolin...
Old 05-01-2024, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

I had very good results with a Trance Amulet M in my J45. But I'm a fanboy of that pickup regardless of instruments. I run them through a Grace DI and find I can pretty much amplify my acoustic tone as close as anything I've ever tried.

Did you remove the Elements wire from under the saddle and replace it with a new full contact bone saddle? That'll help your acoustic tone in my experience.
Old 05-01-2024, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimey View Post
I had very good results with a Trance Amulet M in my J45. But I'm a fanboy of that pickup regardless of instruments. I run them through a Grace DI and find I can pretty much amplify my acoustic tone as close as anything I've ever tried.

Did you remove the Elements wire from under the saddle and replace it with a new full contact bone saddle? That'll help your acoustic tone in my experience.
I've heard good things about the Trance pickups, but they're getting a little spendy for me, when ordering from the US would mean adding import duty and taxes.
And I did take out the undersaddle pickup and fit a bone saddle, it's definitely done good things for the acoustic tone.
I've just ordered a Schatten HFN as there are several demos of those sounding good on Gibson style guitars, so I'm hoping that works out for me,
Old 05-01-2024, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineMarten View Post
I've just ordered a Schatten HFN as there are several demos of those sounding good on Gibson style guitars, so I'm hoping that works out for me,
The Schatten HFN can sound good if there are no string balance issues.
It's more natural sounding than the K&K but probably less reliable.
Let us know once you get it installed you if you like it.
Old 05-02-2024, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsum View Post
The Schatten HFN can sound good if there are no string balance issues.
It's more natural sounding than the K&K but probably less reliable.
Let us know once you get it installed you if you like it.
I have just put it in. The JJB came out cleanly and undamaged, so I can keep that and maybe put it in a mandolin some time.
The Schatten just misses the bridgeplate alignment hole, and I used the tape to install it. I've only had a quick listen in headphones so far, but nothing stands out as bad in terms of string balance or extraneous noises. The highs are a little crispy, but headphones are a very unforgiving way to listen and it would probably be fine through speakers in a room. Now to figure out which of the preamps I have around works best with it...
Old 05-02-2024, 02:07 PM

I like your method of troubleshooting. Sensible.

If HFN doesn't work, you could consider the process below that I made up on the spot. Give the 4 sensor K&K a try.

1. Sand the bridge plate flat with the 220 grit sandpaper.

2. Install 3 discs in the customary location and leave one hanging.

3. Listen through headphones and the PA for string balance. If you like what you hear, tie up the 4th and quit!

4. If one of the strings is weak, you can install the 4th where needed to supplement. I have a D-28 Marquis that needed a 4th disc for the high e. Worked great.

or

Get an LR Baggs HiFi and turn the treble down. The sound is a bit better than the sonitone/element. Some LOVE it. I found it "good."

or

Get a Fishman Matrix, Baggs LB6, Barbera, or the new Go Acoustic pickup/mic. Passive is fine if you have preamps. They are either harder material, or imbedded within the saddle and sound better acoustically, and amplified to my ears.

Last edited by martingitdave; 05-02-2024 at 02:19 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification