The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-22-2017, 06:55 AM

Default Dave's 30-Day Carvin S600B Review

I've been waiting about a month to review the Carvin S600B. I wanted to get some use out of it and really get to know this piece of equipment before posting a review. One of the reasons I have waited to write the review is because there is so little information on the internet about users' experiences with this equipment, I wanted to put useful information out there.

Before I get into any details, I'd like to clarify a few things. One, I'm a singing guitarist, so my opinions are based on how well this product works for a solo singing guitarist. Two, while this is great gear, I suspect that I am not the original targeted user for this equipment's design, for some of the reasons I'll discuss below.

What it is:

This is a loudspeaker/mixer combination. For those who've gotten caught up in all the marketing related to compact PA systems from Bose, JBL, Fishman, Harbinger, etc. regarding what a PA system is "supposed" to be, first and foremost this is a traditional loudspeaker with a twist.

What it isn't:

It is not a Bose L1 compact replacement, nor is it a solo artist's acoustic guitar amp replacement.

The consumer grade "box and stick" products that are targeted to solo acoustic guitarists and singers are designed and voiced a little differently. Typically, those products have 2 or 3 channels, a nice class D power amp, a number of tiny tweeters in a line array and a sub in a box. Frankly, these systems work great for the intended users and audience. They are designed to work well for personal sound reinforcement and personal monitoring (without feedback).

And, if this is your intended use, you're probably better off with one of these "box and stick" units. Or, even a acoustic instrument specific amplifier.

The only other product that I am aware of that mixes a "true" loudspeaker performance and acoustic musician "tone" is the Line 6 StageSource. The reason the Line 6 is successful, is the built in DSP that configures the voice of the loudspeaker, on the fly, for your application.

Why are the S600B alternatives listed above better for use as acoustic amps? Because these systems are voiced to be very "warm" sounding. All speakers and amps "color" sound. To believe otherwise is foolish. It's the nature of the beast. These "box and stick" units are voiced very similarly to the acoustic amplifier products. Besides any specific features targeted to the player and singer, they tend to warm up the tone by de-emphasizing the mids present in some loudspeakers and traditional guitar amps.

The S600 is a flat response loudspeaker. But, the arrangement of the array, and the design of the box make it a bit sterile sounding and mid heavy, when compared to acoustic products, especially when used in close quarters.

This is all solvable with EQ. But, it is important to understand the intended use and the difference in the speaker design. If speaker design didn't make a difference to the sound output, every speaker would look identical. And, you can see in the market, these systems can differ greatly. Loudspeakers are designed to throw a lot of sound a long way.

Unique Features:

I don't think I am going to recite all of the specs and features. If you have been waiting to read this type of review, you already know about all the features anyway, or can refer to the Carvin website. What I'll do below is just highlight the value of some of these unique features below, from my perspective as an acoustic artist, for your consideration.

Size and weight. Somehow these Carvin folks managed to stuff an 8" speaker, a high/mid frequency line array, 400 watt class D amplifier, 6 channel mixer with 11 inputs, a multi-hour battery and charger system, and bluetooth in a small (9.7”W x 11.5”D x17.25”H) birch plywood box that weighs less than 27 lbs. Just let that sink in. The engineers did a nice job. I'm an engineer. No one ever compliments us when we do something amazing. They take it for granted. So, well done engineers! :-)

Price. This is a professional quality unit for a modest price. There are plenty of 8" speakers out there. There are plenty of 6 channel mixers out there. There are plenty of battery backs and inverters out there. Try and build your own version of this for less than $800. I don't think you can. And if you did, it wouldn't survive the first drop, or you wouldn't want to look at it.

Effects. The effects are great. The downside is that you can choose only a single effect to apply to all the channels at varying levels to your taste. This usually means plain 'ol reverb. But, wait! They did something clever here! One of the effects, as you turn the dial past "chorus" is "reverb + chorus." The reason it's clever is that this effect starts with a good mid level reverb as the base and then gradually applies more chorus as you dial. A touch of chorus will thicken vocals and give a nice rounded doubling effect.

Made in the USA. I'm not suggesting the product is superior because of country of origin, but if I can spend a buck and people in my home country have a job because of it, I feel good about it.

So, is it any good?:

In a word... YES! Does that mean you should run out and buy it? Maybe...

Why should a sound professional buy the S600B?:

The S600B is great for someone who needs a general purpose all-in-one PA system for a group of musicians, or anyone who would otherwise have use for a traditional loudspeaker and mixer.

If you're a "mixer and loudspeakers on a pole" person, this unit, and the S600 "eco system"' as a whole, might just have the additional features you should consider.

For that user, they will get a few extra key benefits. One, it will project the sound further than a traditional loudspeaker and lower SPL. It is my opinion (after suffering hearing loss) that ALL speakers used in enclosed restaurants, bars, etc. should be designed this way. Too often some idiot with a loudspeaker subjects our ears to SPL over 99 dB and does damage because the people in the back can't hear. Turn it down. Move up closer.

Two, they will get battery power, which is generally missing in similar products.

Three, they will get a fully functional and competent on-board mixer with just about any input and feature required for a small sound reinforcement job.

I can see this being a great option, when used in conjunction with the sub and extension cabinets, for sound professionals, and maybe DJs.

Why should an acoustic musician buy the S600B?:

This gets a little tricky. If you're routinely playing for 75 people or less (if I had to guess, I'd say about 99% of acoustic gigs usually are), the market is already flooded with options that are targeted to you. Most of them sound good, will handle one or two performers, cost under $1500 with all the goodies, and can be hand carried by one person. These systems don't offer, or need, any more extensions or expansions. They are fit for purpose.

So, why would you buy this unit instead of one of the myriad of other options? I would say only if you have the need for the additional channels, battery power, or it also serves as part of a modular PA system for a full band. In other words, if you need this unit to serve dual purpose as part of a professional PA system, and intend to take only one S600B module with you for small performances, then this is a great use of your money. You can EQ the speaker as you like, put it on a pole, and plug in more gadgets than you can safely operate while holding a guitar. Instant PA.

Do you play outdoors?:

If you are an acoustic musician who routinely performs without electricity, just buy it. Period. I don't think you can do better for the money, regardless of anything written above.

Who should not buy the S600B?:

If you are a home/studio player who wants an acoustic amplifier, or small PA system, for in-home use, you should probably look elsewhere. I think the voicing of this speaker is such that it can't be appreciated at very low volumes in close quarters. It's a loudspeaker, first and foremost. For these folks, I would stick with one of the smaller low wattage acoustic amplifiers, or maybe one of the lower cost "box and stick" units, for the additional monitoring benefits. If that's your application, Carvin makes a nice AG200 unit for you.

Any of the acoustic amps from Fishman, AER, Shertler, etc. would also sound nice at low volume.

Dave's Bottom line:

Because the S600B is a nifty little compact, lightweight, full featured unit, and folks seem to be marketing anything, including acoustic amps, as "compact" PA systems today, it's easy to mistake the S600B for another portable acoustic guitar amp. It is not. It's a professional grade loudspeaker designed to be used alone, or preferably, as part of their larger modular system, for portable sound reinforcement applications.

[5/23/17 Edit]

*Following my review of the S600B, my unit exhibited a soft hissing noise that was independent of any adjustments to controls.

Last edited by martingitdave; 05-23-2017 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:27 AM

GAS ATTACK!!! Cant take it anymore, need to find a way around the wife. Lol

Many, many thanks for your review Dave. Very well though out including the parts where this might not be the best solution for everyone. But I still want it. I like that it has a true flat response/sterile sound. Its easier to add warmth/dirt than to take it away. A clean canvas if you will. The part that gives me pause is the low volume setting like a really small coffee house gig or yoga studio. I know you said its not the best for in home volume levels and small rooms dont need that much volume with only 30 people. Thats a bit louder than in home use but not much. At what level does it start to sound good? Do you think its too much for a duo/trio in a small room environment?
Again many thanks.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

Dave,
A very thorough and thoughtful review that is practical, honest and helpful. I especially appreciate your caveats along the lines of 'if you're looking for X, then this is likely not for you' I think that too often cognitive dissonance leads any of us to endorse an expensive piece of equipment so we don't feel like we've made a mistake. Your review does not do this, yet is substantive and therefore very well done. Thanks again!
Old 02-22-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotValid View Post
GAS ATTACK!!! Cant take it anymore, need to find a way around the wife. Lol

Many, many thanks for your review Dave. Very well though out including the parts where this might not be the best solution for everyone. But I still want it. I like that it has a true flat response/sterile sound. Its easier to add warmth/dirt than to take it away. A clean canvas if you will. The part that gives me pause is the low volume setting like a really small coffee house gig or yoga studio. I know you said its not the best for in home volume levels and small rooms dont need that much volume with only 30 people. Thats a bit louder than in home use but not much. At what level does it start to sound good? Do you think its too much for a duo/trio in a small room environment?

Again many thanks.

Ha! There's no hope for you! To your question, I guess it would depend on the room. I'm a musician, not a working sound professional, but I suspect that this will work as well in your application as any other 8" speaker.

You'll have to EQ it a bit. Most people in small low volume settings don't actually want flat response, even if they say so. Our ears process sound differently at different volumes. I understand many people want more bass and mid cut at low volumes to be comfortable, yet still feel the music. I think it will work, but it might be overkill for that application.

That's the benefit of a loud box Mini, for instance, in a small studio or room. It is designed to sound best at those modest volumes.

Then again, with three people, this unit might be a perfect fit after proper EQ and placement in the room.

One of the benefits of the box and stick designs is that the do well at modest and performance volumes. But, a Bose L1 for 3 people costs about $3000 with the mixer and sub. Your wife will make you sell your car first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by martingitdave; 02-22-2017 at 08:05 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
Dave,
A very thorough and thoughtful review that is practical, honest and helpful. I especially appreciate your caveats along the lines of 'if you're looking for X, then this is likely not for you' I think that too often cognitive dissonance leads any of us to endorse an expensive piece of equipment so we don't feel like we've made a mistake. Your review does not do this, yet is substantive and therefore very well done. Thanks again!
Thanks! I try and put some thought into my posts. More than I would care to admit. I'm glad to know it was appreciated.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Well, thats a bit confusing -

I will admit that I have been intrigued with this unit, thinking it would be the perfect answer for a small, portable unit that would work at home, but also be ready to go for bbqs or outdoor events where some boost for a couple acoustic guitars/vocals would be deirable, but the hassle of running cords and power taps into the garden or across walkways is problematic -

So, wiuld you say the eq control built into the unit is adequate for these situations, or extra equipment needed for lower output use? Have you had a chance to try out the wireless option with it, or feedback on battery use?
Old 02-22-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
Well, thats a bit confusing -

I will admit that I have been intrigued with this unit, thinking it would be the perfect answer for a small, portable unit that would work at home, but also be ready to go for bbqs or outdoor events where some boost for a couple acoustic guitars/vocals would be deirable, but the hassle of running cords and power taps into the garden or across walkways is problematic -

So, wiuld you say the eq control built into the unit is adequate for these situations, or extra equipment needed for lower output use? Have you had a chance to try out the wireless option with it, or feedback on battery use?

The EQ is perfectly fine. The question for you is volume.

It's a specialized product. You need consider how many mid/high frequency drivers it takes for form a line array. When you stick that many of them in a little box with an 8" speaker you will color the sound towards the sterile side if you are 2 feet away from it. 25 to 50 feet away it's going to sound super. I think it needs volume to drive the balance between the lows and highs.

I would compare it to the SA220 fishstick. Frankly, I don't think they sound very good at low volume. That might be a good jumping off point for you.

Otherwise, it could work for you.

The Bluetooth sounds "good". The problem, again, at very low volume, close up, is that it's going to sound too mid heavy. There are bass and treble EQ on the BT channel to boos for high volume use. But, you can't cut the mids for low volume applications. This is one addition I would make to this unit. I would also suggest a trim on unit for presence.

Outdoors, with a little oomph and I think you'll like it. It's not to be confused with a portable Bluetooth speaker for your patio, it's a loudspeaker. Unless, you're on AC/DCs patio for the annual pig roast.

The problem I see is that the small size is deceptive. It makes you think it would be good for in home use. And, it can be, but it's not what it was designed for.

Last edited by martingitdave; 02-22-2017 at 09:22 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:28 AM

What a great and well-thought out review. Thanks very much for posting it.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
What a great and well-thought out review. Thanks very much for posting it.

My pleasure.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:40 AM

Thanks for the review Dave.

My problem is that while you CAN plug both an XLR and 1/4" into one channel (like in the picture), getting them eq'ed while doing so and balancing them against other channels would be a monumental chore.

Many other systems also tout themselves as having 8-10 channels, when, in fact, only 4 of them may actually be usable for most musicians. I don't know anyone that needs the 1/8" rcas. Samson, Yamaha and a host of others also do this.

We have a Samson 308i but use our Cube EX most of the time. It also boasts 4 channels, but 3&4 share one space, dividing the signal and requiring separate preamps and eq. They are significantly less hot than channels 1&2, but we make it work. If I had to do it over again, I may have just got two regular Cubes and linked them together.

We considered the Carvin before we got the Cube. Still not sure we made the right choice but it gets the job done. Thanks for the detailed review.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-22-2017, 09:46 AM

OK now your starting to kill my gas. lol
But I'm glad. This unit is overkill for what I need but the other options are not as desirable. Looking for a portable P.A Thats battery powered but sounds better than a Cube Street, etc. My other choice is the Laney AH4x4 but the lack of a proper EQ has me put off. What I would really like is the Carvin S600b but in a smaller package wattage wise (maybe even reduce the drivers by 1") but keep all the goodies like the 6 channel on board mixer. That would be a great from home to gig solution. The ultimate Buskers amp that doesn't sound like a cheap boxy busker amp. I would imagine there to be a big market for such a device. Or an updated S600 with a small room switch doohickey which attenuates it so it sounds good in a low volume small room setting.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
But I'm glad. This unit is overkill for what I need but the other options are not as desirable. Looking for a portable P.A Thats battery powered but sounds better than a Cube Street, etc. My other choice is the Laney AH4x4 but the lack of a proper EQ has me put off. What I would really like is the Carvin S600b but in a smaller package wattage wise (maybe even reduce the drivers by 1") but keep all the goodies like the 6 channel on board mixer. That would be a great from home to gig solution. The ultimate Buskers amp that doesn't sound like a cheap boxy busker amp. I would imagine there to be a big market for such a device. Or an updated S600 with a small room switch doohickey which attenuates it so it sounds good in a low volume small room setting.
Here are some small, multi channel options from Samson. Our 308 system has excellent sound (better than our Cube) but the ease of use makes us bust our cube out 9/10 gigs. I don't know how good their battery powered, smaller units sound but they may be worth looking at.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 02-22-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Thanks for the review Dave.

My problem is that while you CAN plug both an XLR and 1/4" into one channel (like in the picture), getting them eq'ed while doing so and balancing them against other channels would be a monumental chore.

We considered the Carvin before we got the Cube. Still not sure we made the right choice but it gets the job done. Thanks for the detailed review.
I think you're right about most equipment. However, the Carvin is 6 fully independent channels. There are 11 inputs, but 6 channels. I think keeping the XLR and 1/4" active on 4 of the 6 channels is less of a "suggestion" to use it that way, and more of a "allowance" to use it that way in a "pinch." In this instance, I actually consider it a plus. There is no reason, for instance, that someone wouldn't take full advantage of the stereo channels for channels 5 and 6. I do agree that RCA plugs are mostly obsolete for live music sound reinforcement today.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Yes, I was alluding to that, it might be nice to include some DSP, or just a pot to attenuate the line array a bit for close quarters use.

This is what you want.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BA330

But, frankly, it's not that much cheaper, and a lot less loud, when you need it to be.

So, don't despair, you can still EQ the S600B if you want it to sound more like the above Roland. You can't juice up the above Roland to be a loudspeaker. You just need to be realistic with what you're trying to do. If there is anything I've learned about compact sound reinforcement, through this process, is that there is no one size fits all. And, when considering features and quality, volume MATTERS! Bigly. :-)

Last edited by martingitdave; 02-22-2017 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Yes, I was alluding to that, it might be nice to include some DSP, or just a pot to attenuate the line array a bit for close quarters use.

This is what you want.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BA330

But, frankly, it's not that much cheaper, and a lot less loud, when you need it to be.

So, don't despair, you can still EQ the S600B if you want it to sound more like the above Roland. You can't juice up the above Roland to be a loudspeaker. You just need to be realistic with what you're trying to do. If there is anything I've learned about compact sound reinforcement, through this process, is that there is no one size fits all. And, when considering features and quality, volume MATTERS! Bigly. :-)
Bigly....

We looked at the BA330 too. The fact that we already had a small PA (the Samson 308) coupled with the flexibility of the Cube (great for busking solo with either acoustic or electric) + it's use as a baby PA is what sold us on the Cube EX.

The effects on the 330 are pretty killer though - I have heard a guy using one live locally and it sounds great.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification