The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-24-2009, 06:03 AM

Sometimes we are just sensitive to certain off gassing and a new product, like a guitar, uses many products that have the potential to be irritants; finish, glues, plastics, etc.

In time it should get better, but you are right that a vintage would be one route to take. Also, another brand may offer more/less issues or none at all.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:12 AM

If I'm jammed into a small and confining practice room before a show, where the movement of air is at a minimum, I can tell you that when I open any of the cases, I can "smell" the guitar.

But I can also tell you that I have never consciously made an effort TO "smell" a guitar. It never occurred to me to do so.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

I've left the guitar out for a couple of days now and the foul smell is just about gone, more wood smell.

But I opened the case and it's is still strong in there, so definately the case is the problem. That's a relief.

The dealer has the correct size case coming next week. I'll give it a good whiff before I take it home .

Thanks to all who pointed out the case smell, I can enjoy the guitar more now!

Steve
Old 05-24-2009, 07:48 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB View Post

Steve
yep, like I said, just leave it out in direct sunlight for a few hours on a couple of days opened up and it will definitely subside....

Old 05-24-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
I've left the guitar out for a couple of days now and the foul smell is just about gone, more wood smell.

But I opened the case and it's is still strong in there, so definately the case is the problem. That's a relief.

The dealer has the correct size case coming next week. I'll give it a good whiff before I take it home .

Steve
Most new cases have a smell I don't like. You can really tame the smell by putting a couple dryer sheets in the case and leaving it closed for a few days. I've been told charcoal works too but I've never tried it. Leaving it open in the sun works too.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:06 AM

Charcoal will absord the smell and any moisture as well. Its an old home remedy for storing the camper trailer during winter months to place a couple of open bags of charcoal in the camper.
In the spring no moisture no smell..Voila

Taylor DN3E - -Gone but not forgotten
Martin D28 - Fishman Matrix Infinity
Takamine EG341SC - My Camping Companion

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion