Old 03-31-2024, 10:22 AM

"Don't eat the big, white mint."
Old 03-31-2024, 11:55 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I actually prefer the female love interest in the new one,

whm
I'll have to check that out - I thought Kelly Lynch was pretty amazing!

Old 03-31-2024, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

The new one is in the top three of the worst movies that I have ever seen. It's only redeeming quality was the music. Horrible plot. Horrible writing. Horrible casting. Horrible "acting". Just plain godawful.
2023 0-18
2023 Guild D-1212
1977 Takamine F-400S
1976 Takamine F-365S
60's Harmony H1213
Old 03-31-2024, 12:22 PM

I watched the new one, but feel dumber for doing so! Its ONLY saving grace is Conor McGregor’s hilarious character and I say that as a Jake Gyllenhaal fan!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2

Last edited by Tnfiddler; 04-01-2024 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-31-2024, 02:58 PM
AGF Administrator

The new version misses the point of the Dalton character. In the original, he was pretty Zen who fought only when he had to. The new version is basically a ticking bomb waiting to be set off, and goes through no arc or growth. Patrick Swayze was more compelling in the role than Jake Gyllenhaal.

The ending and mid-credits scene indicate they hope to continue the franchise, but with a lackluster start like this I don't think that's going to happen.

On its own, I think the new movie is fine, they should have just called it something else with different characters rather than trying to pointlessly and needlessly remake something that didn't need to be remade.
Old 03-31-2024, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
...On its own, I think the new movie is fine, they should have just called it something else with different characters rather than trying to pointlessly and needlessly remake something that didn't need to be remade.
Totally agree....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 04-01-2024, 12:36 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

The new one is... just not good.

Even Connor's character made no sense, really. Some of the action scenes were fun to watch, but the storyline/script wasn't good, IMO.
Old 04-02-2024, 10:55 PM

Just finished watching the new one (a "reimagining" per the opening scroll). Some random thoughts:

More time devoted to the bar's music acts in this one, almost nobody I'd heard of but mostly quite good plus the legendary Rockin' Dopsie. But the original has Jeff Healey. Advantage: original.

Lots & lots of kablooies and BANGBANGBANGs in this one. It gets sort of numbing. The fewer spectacular violent scenes the more impactful IMO. Advantage: original.

The bouncer's adversary (not the criminal mastermind, the guy the hero has to fight to settle things) is more believable in the Swayze version. Marshall Teague (I looked it up) plays a convincing sadistic psychopath, whereas the MMA guy is like a carnival attraction. Advantage: original.

1989 has Sam Elliott, this one doesn't. Advantage: original.

So there ya go. The "reimagining" is certainly watchable, especially "free" (Yes. Yes, I realize that. Duly noted. Thank you.) with prime.

Last edited by frankmcr; 04-02-2024 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-02-2024, 11:58 PM
Charter Member

Wow...

I have had no interest in watching the new version because I thought the original was so horrible. It's interesting that so many people feel that the original version was good.

I guess I don't like seeing people getting their throats ripped out. And I watch movies with my wife. She could never watch and she'd never forgive me for making her sit through such a movie.

Yes, Jeff Healey was good. He's the only good thing I remember about that movie.

- Glenn
Old 04-03-2024, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Wow...

I have had no interest in watching the new version because I thought the original was so horrible. It's interesting that so many people feel that the original version was good.

I guess I don't like seeing people getting their throats ripped out. And I watch movies with my wife. She could never watch and she'd never forgive me for making her sit through such a movie.

Yes, Jeff Healey was good. He's the only good thing I remember about that movie.

- Glenn
FWIW that does not happen in this version. The violence in this one is actually pretty much Looney Tunes fantasy stuff. In rating a film's seriousness I guess the original wins in this regard too. It's like after the final scene everybody could just get up and dust themselves off and go about their business. "Heck of a night, huh?" "Yup."
Old 04-03-2024, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Wow... I have had no interest in watching the new version because I thought the original was so horrible. It's interesting that so many people feel that the original version was good.
I didn't care much for the first on either. Or the actors .... except for Sam.

Creativity comes more easily with a good dose of fool
Old 04-03-2024, 09:31 AM

Count me as another who is flabbergasted that people thought Patrick Swayze was even half as good as that terrible movie I had to sit through so many years ago. I was surprised also to hear it had been remade. Why would they do that? After watching the remake (which I found to be the typical drivel released these days) I realized why. It's the money. It's almost always the money.
Old 04-03-2024, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
The new version misses the point of the Dalton character. In the original, he was pretty Zen who fought only when he had to. The new version is basically a ticking bomb waiting to be set off, and goes through no arc or growth. Patrick Swayze was more compelling in the role than Jake Gyllenhaal.
These are good points.

Aside–I am, after all these years, left wondering how he teased and coiffed his mullet so fabulously while living in a barn.
Old 04-03-2024, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
These are good points.

Aside–I am, after all these years, left wondering how he teased and coiffed his mullet so fabulously while living in a barn.
Well of course the orignial's "barn loft" was decorated fancier than any modern B&B. Another mark of the strange attraction of the first film: it was so implausible, so over the top -- it was like some dream teenage boy had.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 04-03-2024, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Well of course the orignial's "barn loft" was decorated fancier than any modern B&B. Another mark of the strange attraction of the first film: it was so implausible, so over the top -- it was like some dream teenage boy had.
You're so right! So many teenage boy fantasies!
  • I can beat up everyone in town, and do, regularly
  • I can win the heart of the hottest doctor in the county, and she doesn't care that I'm a henchman living in a barn
  • I get be a henchman and live in a barn
  • My best friend is even tougher than I am
  • I regularly oil myself up and practice kung fu out in the yard for everyone to watch
Oh...wait...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic