The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-16-2020, 11:28 PM
Charter Member

Default MIchael Kelly guitars

I am wondering what folks think of early (2001-2005) Michael Kelly acoustic guitars. Build quality, sound, playability, how well do they hold up, materials, etc. I am looking for an inexpensive ($500<) but nice playing 6 string that I want to be able to leave out and grab when I need to guitar. I happened to be a friend’s house (he has several) and we were talking about decent guitars that were reasonably inexpensive and showed me the MK’s that he has. I was impressed.
TIA
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 09-17-2020, 08:27 AM

The ones that Ive heard didnt sound good. There are a lot of guitars in that range that do sound good for example the Seagull Folk, it has a big neck which I like but you may not.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:52 PM

I've never played a MK guitar, but I've played a few of their mandolins and have owned a MK Octave Mandolin for several years.

Based on this experience, I've found their instruments to have a very thick, tone-killing gloss finish. The saddles and nuts need work/replacement. Overall not very impressive, especially when compared to other instruments of similar cost and origin - The Loar, Blueridge, Eastman, Yamaha, Teton, etc.
Old 11-12-2020, 07:20 PM

I just bought an old MK SQ QAM and really like it - Solid spruce top and quilted maple back and sides (laminated?). Great sound, good build quality, and has held up well for +15 years old. Slight belly bulge, but not in need of bridge truss (yet). I bought it exactly for the reason you noted - a lower cost guitar to take out (camping trips) and leave the high-end pieces at home. Perfect for that, and still an interesting guitar to have in the arsenal.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion