The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-14-2022, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

Default Why 13

I recently had a chance to play several fine guitars and in the mix were two with 13 frets. I suppose a person could get used to it visually, but as to the sound quality, I could not tell an iota of difference or improvement over 12 or 14 . Anyone else have an opinion or experience with this?
Old 02-14-2022, 03:25 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnerb View Post
I recently had a chance to play several fine guitars and in the mix were two with 13 frets. I suppose a person could get used to it visually, but as to the sound quality, I could not tell an iota of difference or improvement over 12 or 14 . Anyone else have an opinion or experience with this?
I'm assuming the 12 and 14 fret guitars weren't the same body/woods/builder?

Hard to tell if they aren't.

A good friend of mine built a few 13 fret guitars, when I played them, they had just been strung up, but the premise is to get some of the added warmth a 12 offers, with the obvious added playability up the neck.

Old 02-14-2022, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnerb View Post
So players that think 12 isn't enough and 14 are too many can be happy?
Old 02-14-2022, 04:09 PM

I actually love a good 13 fretter. The guitar I've been playing the most over the past few months is 13 fret. It's kind of the best of both world for me.
Old 02-14-2022, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

SCGC former luthier Paul Hostetter wrote about this years ago. He was the designer of the H13 as I recall. Unfortunately it appears his website is no longer active in that I can’t move beyond the home page. This is where I had read his in-depth thoughts about 13 frets.

And nothing superstitious I assure you.

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics
Old 02-14-2022, 05:27 PM

The original 13 fret guitars were transitional models for a couple of years with the Gibson Nick Lucas model. It had started as a 12 fret model and ended as a 14 fretter, but for two years Gibson made them with a 13 fret body join.

Modern player interest in these instruments compelled the Santa Cruz Guitar Company to start making them.

My apologies to those who already knew this, I just wanted to inform those who didn’t.

whm
Old 02-14-2022, 06:29 PM

My Edwinson is 13 frets. Steve builds them like that because he believes it is the perfect balance for his design. I really like mine. I wouln't want to change a thing. That being said, if it has anything less than 14, for me, it needs to have a cut away, as I capo up for quite a few pieces.
Old 02-14-2022, 06:57 PM

I have 3 with 13 frets. It is a compromise. They say the 12 fretters are sweeter-sounding, but you gain that at a slight expense of volume and fretboard real estate. I am certainly happy with them, but still like 14's a bit better.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 02-14-2022, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

There’s an interesting Fretboard Journal article in which Richard Hoover discusses a variety of models he built. https://www.fretboardjournal.com/fea...-cruz-guitars/

In the article he discusses the creation of the H13. “The H had a rich tone, lots of volume and an overall sweet tone,” Hoover says. “We always felt that the 13-fret-neck configuration on that body shape put the bridge in exactly the right place on the top, and there’s no denying that those guitars sound magical. But it was also a crashing failure in the marketplace. It was too small for the time – men just wouldn’t buy smaller guitars, which were perceived as “girly” – and the 13-fret neck was too confusing for most players.” Eventually the series was so well-received that in 2004 the model was reintroduced under the designation h-13 and it is now part of the standard line.
Old 02-14-2022, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

I mean, the short answer is that that's what Nick Lucas wanted, and people liked them enough to keep making them.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 02-15-2022, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
The original 13 fret guitars were transitional models for a couple of years with the Gibson Nick Lucas model. It had started as a 12 fret model and ended as a 14 fretter, but for two years Gibson made them with a 13 fret body join.

Modern player interest in these instruments compelled the Santa Cruz Guitar Company to start making them.

My apologies to those who already knew this, I just wanted to inform those who didn’t.

whm
The Epiphone Model series 13 fret models pre date the Nick Lucas switch to 13 frets by 2 years. I had a 1928 Model 0 Epiphone 13 fretter that I loved the sound of but ended up selling because the neck just wasn't for me.
Old 02-15-2022, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage View Post
The Epiphone Model series 13 fret models pre date the Nick Lucas switch to 13 frets by 2 years. I had a 1928 Model 0 Epiphone 13 fretter that I loved the sound of but ended up selling because the neck just wasn't for me.
From even earlier, my '24 Gibson L2 is a 13 fretter. No idea why it was built that way really. I just assumed that's the way it worked out when all the design elements came together to produce a good sound. & it does sound good to me.
Old 02-15-2022, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THart View Post
From even earlier, my '24 Gibson L2 is a 13 fretter. No idea why it was built that way really. I just assumed that's the way it worked out when all the design elements came together to produce a good sound. & it does sound good to me.
Super cool! I've never seen one of those! '24 was really still solidly in the 12 fret world. So cool that they were experimenting with 13 that early! One of the things I love about old guitars is that once you think you know when something started, an earlier example comes along!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion