The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-13-2022, 09:05 PM

Default Fingernail update

I've tried all kinds of fingernail solutions... all damage my nails. I've been having a particularly difficult winter, and I found something new that seems promising.

There is a new type of "manicure" called semi soft or semi cured gel nails. I bought a brand called Zeniquin because it seems to be relatively thick. It came with a tiny curing LED light - 3-inches long and it plugs into my phone charger. The "nails" are soft and adhered to a backing sheet. You can actually stretch them to get a more exacting fit. Then push it down on your nail. trim to approx length with nail clippers, then cure and file to desired shape.

They fit me well, but I don't know about men (I'm female) - so it might take some trial and error to see if they would work for you. Also I don't know how they'll hold up to steel strings (I play classical/nylon). I did use them to extend the length of my nails just a little.

A possible downside is they don't have clear. And the almost clear with a slight tint are presently out of stock. I bought a plum gradient which isn't bad, and I'm only using it to repair broken nails while they grow out. And they are handling my playing well so far.

Upsides are it's inexpensive - a kit contains enough to 2 manicures (for both hands). Since I only use 1 or 2 nails at a time, this should last me a while - at about $10. It's portable if you gig and need a quick repair.

I haven't removed mine yet, but they can be removed gently causing no damage to the nails. Lots of info on YouTube about how to apply/remove, and different brands compared.
Old 02-13-2022, 10:55 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for sharing - I’m always looking for alternatives in this area. I’ve decided I really prefer natural nails, and mine are strong enough to hold up to steel strings, but there’s always the risk of breaking while doing other things. I was doing salon gels for a while and they were great until I started having some nail health issues. Then for quite a while I did gel dip nails, just applied to the nail tips - great for nail health as most of the nail can still “breathe,” but tone is kind of brittle. I know you said you’re a nylon string player, but how has the tone been for you so far?
Old 02-14-2022, 07:10 AM
Charter Member

Default NAILS

Oh, Boy,

I have years of experience cursing my cracked, broken, thin nails! I did 'Hard as Hooves', those silly over-finger fingerpicks, and even acrylics. I do NOT recommend getting involved with the acrylic black arts as they weaken your nails badly. Or at least they did to mine - took months to recover after I had a nail salon 'fix' a cracked nail. No more.

Finally I found my solution! I use Vaseline Intensive Care 'Healthy Hands and Stronger Nails'. I got the advice from a pro fingerstylist, and very quickly went from worrying about them every day to not at all! I use it at least once a day or after I do something that works or dries out my hands/nails.

Comes in a pink tube, get it anywhere. And it works.

As usual, ymmv.
Old 02-14-2022, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
…. I bought a brand called Zeniquin…..
Can you provide a link?

If I Google “Zeniquin” I only get a dog antibiotic. Thanks. I think I’ve tried everything. I ended up with Alaska Pics, but I can’t even keep enough fingernail to keep them on. My nails are thinner than a thin pick and sound horrific. I’ve tried acrylic nails, gel nails, and they were great but thinned my nails even worse. I’ve tried “hard as hoofs” and all those creams, biotin and vitamin supplements, OPI brush on hardeners, etc. I’m back at bare fingers now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion