The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-15-2022, 08:36 AM

The RV community hosts these get togethers all the time. A gathering of airstream owners in one campground..like minded folks owning the same brand of rv. It’s a great idea..
Old 02-15-2022, 08:45 AM

Hi David-
As a resident of the Twin Cities area, I'd like to drop in if you guys start meeting again. I'm not a good player, but I'd still like to talk some shop and here what others have to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
I’ve done this a number of times, on the pretext of giving someone a chance to play one of my Emeralds. Without exception, it’s been a fun experience - I’ve met some nice people, who play a variety of styles on a variety of instruments. Lots of guitar nerds out there

Pre-plague, Marty (M19 here) organized a number of get-togethers here in the Twin Cities at a local coffee shop. I went to a couple of them - they were great fun. It was good to be able to put faces to names, and to realize just how many truly gifted players (and builders!) we have in our midst here. We have a local AGF Facebook page which has maintained modest traffic over the last couple of years - hopefully, as things open up again, we can contemplate another gathering.

71 Harmony Sovereign
Taylor AD27e
Yamaha FG-260 12 String
Yamaha FG-730S
Rogue Mandolin
Applecreek Dulcimer

Old 02-15-2022, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

I guess the question is how far some folks are willing to travel.
I would consider a 2-3 hour drive with overnight lodging (in a hotel) if the location/town had some additional attractions for the wife, kid and I. And warmer weather with an outside gathering would be a motivator. An AGF camping excursion would be a blast, assuming folks would bring there Alpha (or beta) guitar to an overnight event.

Been to few gatherings in the NY metro area before crossing the Mason Dixon line, and one local to Western NC.
Some were jam based, others were a guitar swap fest.

But all were a blast and got a chance to play some great guitars.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 02-15-2022 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-15-2022, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

My first internet guitar gathering took place back in the Harmony Central Days - the Ohio Jam down near Oxford Oh. Made lots of friends…we did it every year for a while. Many of us have scattered across the country and some of us have died but lots of us still keep in touch.

Yes, meeting with other guitar nerds can be lots of fun…
Old 02-15-2022, 11:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
Where at in Iowa?

Des Moines area. Pretty much anywhere in Iowa is drivable.
2021 Martin 39' D18AA
2015 Duff F5
2008 Kimble A5
AO Tele 60's LPB
Vintage Fender Twin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion