The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-14-2022, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
And basically every other star you saw playing an Ovation, Yamaha or Tak during the 80's and onward. Just off the top of my head Neil Diamond and Paul Simon would fall into that category.

Singer/songwriters mentioned so far, what about well known guitarists i.e. in the vein of Jimmy Page/Tommy Emmanuel/Tony Rice etc? Not challenging anyone, just curious to know if there are players of that ilk who gig with Squiers, Epiphones, 100 series Taylors etc. and reserve their high end guitars for recording and home play.

Last edited by packmule; 02-14-2022 at 04:51 AM.
Old 02-14-2022, 05:47 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
I know the obvious answer I guess, they don't want them damaged, but i can never wrap my head around it, if I was a performer I can't imagine buying a cheaper guitar with a preamp to perform with and leaving my Guild (favourite guitar) at home. Why would I sacrifice my preferred tone, aesthetics, playability etc because I'm afraid of guitar scars? I realize you can buy good cheap guitars etc, but aren't you always compromising?

Different strokes for different folks, but I guess I just don't understand different folks, lol
It just may be that the 'giggers' can make any guitar they own sound good enough, and they also realize that most audiences don't care about their preferred tone.

If it's a gig, then it's all about the shortest distance between leaving the house, and coming home with the money.

Now......If it's a performance where people have paid to listen, quietly, and appreciate what you're doing, then that's a different thing altogether.

Then you can be self indulgent.

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 02-14-2022, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
It just may be that the 'giggers' can make any guitar they own sound good enough, and they also realize that most audiences don't care about their preferred tone.

If it's a gig, then it's all about the shortest distance between leaving the house, and coming home with the money.

Now......If it's a performance where people have paid to listen, quietly, and appreciate what you're doing, then that's a different thing altogether.

Regards,
Howard Emerson
A perfect answer Howard.
Old 02-14-2022, 09:24 AM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Great post.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 02-14-2022, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packmule View Post
Singer/songwriters mentioned so far, what about well known guitarists i.e. in the vein of Jimmy Page/Tommy Emmanuel/Tony Rice etc? Not challenging anyone, just curious to know if there are players of that ilk who gig with Squiers, Epiphones, 100 series Taylors etc. and reserve their high end guitars for recording and home play.
I dont think the assertion was ever that top-tier players play arenas with Squiers. The point is that, with some exceptions, most pros don't take their most valuable vintage or collector stuff on the road. The examples abound, just watch some rig rundown videos.
Old 02-14-2022, 09:31 AM

Default a thought

There's also nothing to be gained from playing a $5K instrument through a pickup and soundboard. Besides pointless damage happening to that instrument.
Old 02-14-2022, 10:16 AM

There are lots of factors involved. People who do actually gig understand.
Old 02-14-2022, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

I haven't read this whole thread, but I can tell you when you play a guitar under all kinds of conditions for hours upon hours night after night, they get worn pretty fast.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 02-14-2022, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
There's also nothing to be gained from playing a $5K instrument through a pickup and soundboard. Besides pointless damage happening to that instrument.

I play my Bourgeois out all the time and it still has no damage, except swirl marks on the back from the buttons on my shirt. What I gain from it is the satisfaction of playing my best guitar and enjoying it while I’m doing it. That’s really all that matters. If people want to preserve their museum quality guitars for their kids, after they’re gone, More power to them. I’m gonna play the fire out of mine, while I’m here! I’ll let the kids wonder about any damage when it’s theirs.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2

Last edited by Tnfiddler; 02-14-2022 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-14-2022, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Smile I gig the good ones

I know I am in the minority here, but I gig my best guitars on a regular basis!

I am lucky enough to get to play in senior and healthcare facilities, occasional parties and art shows, etc. anymore.
If I was still gigging bars, I would think twice about the rowdy ones!

Since folks are there to hear the music, not to drink, yak, hook up, watch the game, etc. I take my best guitars, or I used to back before the plague curtailed my gigs.

My John Kinnaird BIG GUNS are loud enough to be heard acoustically in a sizable room, and I have strong pipes, so I skip amplification and often stroll like a troubadour.
It is fun to get “up in peoples grills” and watch their reactions to the SOUND of these monster guitars.

I am often asked “Where is your amp? It must be here somewhere…”. Hahahaha

The gigs will return, eventually, I figure.

Meanwhile, I am unintentionally semi retired…

Play on and Whatever you’re playing, have FUN !!!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 02-14-2022, 12:34 PM

Every gig has a measure of "self indulgence" ...or we wouldn't be doing it. Do we not feel a sense of satisfaction and a measure of triumph when the audience digs the performance? Do we not feel a little deflated or let down if the audience relegates us to musak? Performance indulges self as it likewise pleases listeners. Let us not imply that "real giggers" know more because they know when to use the good stuff. ...c'mon now.

Gig what you like, fine. Protect or "save" the best gear for home, fine. The genuinely correct answer is the one that works best for the player's comfort level.

Edward
Old 02-14-2022, 01:09 PM

The original question was:

"Why Do So Many 'Giggers' Not Play Their Good Guitars Live?"

He didn't need to hear from those that do.
Old 02-14-2022, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packmule View Post
You think those beat up Maton's are Tommy Emmanuel's best guitars? I'd bet those are his beaters, and while they are nice guitars... I doubt he payed very much for them.
Old 02-14-2022, 03:45 PM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Kindnes View Post
The original question was:

"Why Do So Many 'Giggers' Not Play Their Good Guitars Live?"

He didn't need to hear from those that do.
We didn't mean to offend, and will endeavor to follow the "rules" more closely from now on.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 02-14-2022, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
We didn't mean to offend, and will endeavor to follow the "rules" more closely from now on.
There's still time to turn it into a capo thread.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion