The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-13-2022, 06:22 AM

I have a '78 yari that for some reason, amplifies the best out of all my acoustics. it's a canon. which is strange b/c the same pickup is in one my taylors and my j200

It's a great gigging axe, it's a bit beat up, so I don't really have that cosmetic thing to worry about.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 02-13-2022, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
Why do so many 'giggers' not play their good guitars live?

I know the obvious answer I guess, they don't want them damaged, but i can never wrap my head around it, if I was a performer I can't imagine buying a cheaper guitar with a preamp to perform with and leaving my Guild (favourite guitar) at home. Why would I sacrifice my preferred tone, aesthetics, playability etc because I'm afraid of guitar scars? I realize you can buy good cheap guitars etc, but aren't you always compromising?

Different strokes for different folks, but I guess I just don't understand different folks, lol
All my guitars are 'good guitars' and all of them have been used for gigging. I guess the bigger question is, why do you own guitars that are not good guitars? Why do you own guitars that don't have your preferred tone and you don't like their aesthetics or playability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italuke View Post
Because when you play out, you plug in. And when you plug in your pure acoustic tone goes out the window.
Lot of truth here.

These days I play whichever is best for the room. I tend to favor the carbon fiber guitars for their ability to withstand any environmental concerns be it small quarters, unruly audiences or drastic temperature extremes.

Last edited by Methos1979; 02-13-2022 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-13-2022, 07:17 AM

When/if I get to the point where I am making good money at gigs, I might take one of my favorite (and more expensive) guitars to gigs where 50-100 people will listen attentively and some might appreciate something about the tone of these wonderful guitars. But for the money I currently get paid to be essentially fill the role of “sonic plant”, a “good enough guitar” is good enough.

And I can imagine that many “higher tier” musicians feel even more protective of their favorite instruments being subjected to the rigors and risks of gigging.

An analogy: I don’t wear my nicest clothes when I am going out to a BBQ restaurant, or an Italian restaurant. Ever spilled tomato sauce on your favorite shirt?
Old 02-13-2022, 08:29 AM

Who are the examples of well known guitarists who choose to leave their nice guitars at home and play out live with cheaper guitars? I don't mean someone who leaves their pre-war Martin at home and plays live with a Preston Thompson, I'm referring to those who leave the pre-war Martin at home and play a lawsuit era Takamine live, or a Blueridge etc.

I can't think of any but I'm sure others can - would be interesting to see.
Old 02-13-2022, 08:37 AM

My 000-42 does not have a pickup in it, my Eastman does, and as others have said that wonderful acoustic tone gets lost in the mix of amplification and drums/bass/sax/harp/other guitars and vocals.
Old 02-13-2022, 08:37 AM

The Eagles and Springsteen play Takemines live but it's not because they're afraid of bringing their 'good' guitars out.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 02-13-2022, 09:04 AM

Probably already been mentioned - because live performance is much more about the quality of the pickup than that of the guitar.
Old 02-13-2022, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

When I started getting serious about recording. (Before digital recording was a wide spread thing)

I started accumulating better sounding instruments, amps, effects, etc.

Once I had gotten used to the better tones, I found no reason to limit the tonal quality to the studio.

As a general rule, acoustic pickups were crap. Regardless of what guitar they were installed in.

So I would frequently use a Dean acoustic at gigs.

Once I found the Fishman Aura systems. The Dean stayed home more and more.

Today, my gigging acoustics are all Aura equipped.

Three different variants in three different guitars.

The one I call the beater, aka Taylor Killer. 2010 Martin GPCPA1

Next is the 2007 Gibson J-185ce.

Third is the 2018 Martin OM-28e.

If I were to play a bar or the like? The GPCPA1 would be my first choice.

Something larger, say a 1000 or so seat theater, or bigger venue. I might choose one of the others.
Old 02-13-2022, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

I live in two guitar worlds, one online here, this is the only guitar forum I'm on, and one where I actually hang out and play with them The latter one consists of a dozen guitar players and none of them have a a lot of guitars to choose from. Most have their good one that they are pretty proud of and like to show off, leaving the less impressive ones as backups, just in case.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 02-13-2022, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packmule View Post
Who are the examples of well known guitarists who choose to leave their nice guitars at home and play out live with cheaper guitars? I don't mean someone who leaves their pre-war Martin at home and plays live with a Preston Thompson, I'm referring to those who leave the pre-war Martin at home and play a lawsuit era Takamine live, or a Blueridge etc.

I can't think of any but I'm sure others can - would be interesting to see.
The late Glenn Fry immediately comes to mind: played a Tak live. Martin Barre played for years with off-the-rack Strats. I think you'll find the Joe Bonamassas or Mike Campbells of the world, who take their vintage stuff on tour, are the exception.
Old 02-13-2022, 11:56 AM

Two ways to take the OP's question I think.

First: Why do "big names" sometime tour without the collector items they may own or iconic guitars they're associated with?

I suspect it varies. Those that have answered that question in interviews give answers like:

The old one which I used on famous album or early tours now has irreplaceable sentimental value. Less often said, but in some cases (given the tough nature of musician finances) they may be holding it back as a "retirement fund."

Many upthread have also mentioned that live playing has different priorities to recording or sitting on the couch and enjoying the sound of a guitar for oneself. Many working guys praise the value of ruggedness and repeatability and easy amplification when asked. There's also a more sub-rosa factor of promotional considerations: some are given equipment or other rewards for featuring someone's brand in public.

Some old stuff sort of wears out. Yes, there's Willie Nelson's Trigger which is both an example of wear and perseverance. It's an electric, but I think of David Gilmore's famous "Black Strat" which was a real "Theseus' ship" that was not really one guitar though the years.

Second: Why do you, mundane AGF member or peers, not play your "good guitar" live? It's been years since i played live, but the reason I didn't always play my "good guitar" in terms of retail value was because I took the guitar I thought would work better in the context of what I was playing and who I was playing with.

Upthread some have mentioned (usually unfavorably) the idea that the "good guitar stays home" choice may be based on excessive "I don't want to get a ding on my precious" fears. That may be a reason for some. I'd say this about that: if one fears that, it might affect one's performance, and giving a good performance is what live playing is about.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

Last edited by FrankHudson; 02-13-2022 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-13-2022, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
All my guitars are 'good guitars' and all of them have been used for gigging. I guess the bigger question is, why do you own guitars that are not good guitars? Why do you own guitars that don't have your preferred tone and you don't like their aesthetics or playability?

I can’t like this enough and I’m glad someone finally said what I’ve thought for a long time!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 02-13-2022, 12:50 PM

This discussion happens all the time in the electric bass world. The dynamic is a bit different for acoustic guitars as they are a bit ore delicate than a solid body bass. I'm firmly in the camp of, "I bought it to gig it." I have a couple of very expensive basses, and they go out on every gig they are sonically appropriate for.

One argument I hear is, "the gig is dodgy, my instrument might get damaged or stolen." My take is, if the gig is safe for my body, it is safe for my instrument. I don't tour (other than single travel gigs) or toss my stuff in a van down by the river. If the venue is a bit rowdy, my instrument gets put away and watched when not in my hands.

Another argument: the sound at the venue is crap so why bring the good instrument. Well, my instruments are set up and play well, and since that is the connection between body and instrument, I want the best feeling instrument I can.

My only caveats are extreme weather and sometimes open jams. An acoustic isn't happy in blistering sun/heat or in a downpour. There are ways to deal with that, but sometimes discretion is the better part of valor. I've also been house bassist at open jams, and sometimes there is a call or need for someone to sit in using my instrument. I rarely am in that situation, and if I know that will be the case then the import instrument will come along for that.

Everyone has different rules and tolerances, but I bought them to play them out.

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 02-13-2022, 12:59 PM

My good guitar doesn't sound as good as my cheap guitar if you can't mic it. And on gigs I tend to play with a lot less delicacy.

Couch Standards
Old 02-13-2022, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

I don't know about your supposition... in my experience, MOST players play their best stuff when they play out... I certainly do! I have no qualms at all about using my hand-built acoustics for a gig... after all, that's what I have them for, to be played.

Especially as a lifelong singer/songwriter (who never made it "big"), I have personally never had the $$$$ to get a secondary guitar for gigging... I use what I have and take care with them, but I realize that sometimes stuff happens. I'm mindful of my instruments, but not excessively so.

For the past 40+ years, I've played only hand-built acoustic guitars. Over the decades, I've changed pickup systems in them, from time to time, in order to get the best sound I can within my (limited) budget and the sound system I use. In the early stages of Covid, I had Dazzo pickups installed in both my 6 and 12 string acoustics... I have yet to get out and play them in a performing context, but I fully intend to do so!

It's never occurred to me to NOT use my finest guitars for a gig... now, I have turned down gigs that would be uncomfortable or dangerous for either my guitars or myself, but I use whatever is going to fit the gig, given what I have at my disposal.
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion