The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-12-2022, 03:13 PM

Default To Buy or Not Buy Martin HD-28

I have found a very good deal on a 2003 Martin HD-28 in a pawn shop. The neck is straight, the saddle has great height, it plays like butter sound really plugged in and unplugged (even with dead rusty strings) . The back has a few deep scratches, but I don't care about the scratches at all as I'm going to keep it to play and not resell it. But the problem is the pawn shop has been keeping silica gel packets inside of the guitar during our very dry winter months to get ride of black spots on the braces which he thinks may be mold. He has the packets in there for about 5 months. The keeping of silica packets inside of a guitar during the winter months seems very odd to me and it seems like it could damage this guitar. He does not humidify his shop at all. He keeps the guitar just hanging on the wall and has never changed the strings ( they appear to have not been changed since about 2010) What say you? Would you buy this guitar? Does it carry the risk of just falling apart due the silica packets?
Old 02-12-2022, 03:33 PM

For the right price? Sure. But no idea what the right price may be for you.
Old 02-12-2022, 03:41 PM

Not enough information. In general, it sounds like the guitar has been neglected/abused. But except for the black spots, the damage sounds mostly cosmetic.

I am not all that concerned about the silica packets, though i doubt that they are doing much good. I am concerned about the dry climate.

What relative humidity is “very dry”? Are there any indications that the guitar is dried out (fret sprout, top that isn’t flat, etc)? How does this “very good deal” compare to other guitars in better shape and without black spots?

Is there any fret wear? Are all the braces secure?

Those black spots give me pause….

If the deal is good enough, then I might buy it. But based upon the description, it would have to be a pretty great deal to tempt me.
Old 02-12-2022, 03:56 PM

Not sure what the humidity in the shop is but humidity in my house will get down to 29% if I let it. What do you think the black spots are? mold? I don't know if discussing used guitar prices is allowed but, The price is about 1/2 of the price of average asking price on reverb for the same model and that low price includes tax. It also comes with a high end travel hard shell case 3 capos one of which is a high end paige capo and various picks and strings.

Last edited by macmanmatty; 02-12-2022 at 04:27 PM. Reason: grammer were bad
Old 02-12-2022, 04:11 PM

Ah, just buy it. If you don't then someone else will come along and snap it up leaving you to regret the one that got away.

Guitars are sturdy beasts and I wouldn't worry about black spots...it's a bit of character. The price sounds fabulous, what are you waiting for?
Old 02-12-2022, 04:23 PM

I say go for it. If it doesn’t work out I’m sure you could sell it for what you paid for it.

Old 02-13-2022, 06:24 AM

About 5 years ago, I could have had a HD-28 for a fair price and at the time I could have made it happen but didn't. I've never seen a used one for this price since. It is my "one that got away".
Old 02-13-2022, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

As JKA says, guitars are sturdy beasts. Low humidity will have less effect on a 22-year old guitar than on a new guitar since the wood has had years to dry out. The silica packets probably aren’t doing anything if the soundhole isn’t covered. As far as the black spots go, it sounds like they could have been caused by over-humidifying the guitar at some point. If it were me, I’d buy the guitar and take it to a luthier to have it inspected overall and to see if there is any way to remove the spots without altering the guitar. If not, I would leave the guitar as-is an just play it.
Old 02-13-2022, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

I agree. Buy it. Play it often and a lot. Fix what needs fixing if or when it needs fixing.
Old 02-13-2022, 10:55 AM

I bought my HD 28 in the winter of '87. It is my go to guitar.
I have never regretted owning this fine instrument.
You have played it and heard it and you like it for a good price, I'd say go ahead and buy it.

I have never humidified any of my guitars and they are just fine here in the Pacific Northwet.
Old 02-13-2022, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

I've got a different view having nothing to do with what kind of guitar it is....I would pass. Black mold, if that's what it is, usually grows on cellulose based products (e.g., wood) when subject to high humidity (typically 70+%). Drying it out may stop it growing, but it won't kill spores. In addition to the presence of the mold itself, it likely is an indication the guitar was subject to high humidity for a period(s) of time; it wouldn't have grown otherwise. From Taylor's website, but other luthiers give similar warnings. "While high humidity usually will not crack the wood the way low humidity can, the adverse effects can be just as damaging and sometimes can be more costly to repair." Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-13-2022, 06:09 PM

I'd go for it.

I just bought an HD-28 that was exposed to cold & dry temperatures on shipping. I used a humidifier in a small room during the day, and in case with Humidipak at night...10 days later it's in great shape and plays fantastic.
Old 02-13-2022, 06:53 PM

Will the shop allow you to have the guitar inspected?
Perhaps a 5 day return policy or something along that line.

This will give you time to have the guitar evaluated for any problems.
Old 02-14-2022, 12:08 AM

You say the guitar plays like butter, I would take that as the guitar not being dried out or suffering from along spell of low humidity. I don't believe mold grows in dry environments...If you feel the price is right I would buy it and as far as the black spots go if you feel it's mold buy some mold killer put a dap on a Q tip and touch the black spots and see what happens. The Martin HD-28 is a great guitar.....Maybe you can use those black spots as a bargaining chip?
Old 02-14-2022, 01:12 AM
Charter Member

I just talked to a friend who had a few spots of black mold in a Collings he bought used. He said he used a cotton swab with distilled white vinegar. He gave it a couple applications, and had no spreading or issues from then on. He believes the vinegar killed the mold, but the black stains remained.

Disclaimers and Warnings:
YMMV; Proceed at your own risk; It's your guitar and your choice; I'm not sure if I'd even follow my own advice; yada, yada, yada, etc., etc., etc.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion