The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-12-2022, 02:48 PM

Default The Big Larrivee Try On Left Me With Questions!!

Hi gang. So I have fallen in love with Larrivee guitars and they are not easy to find in the UK.

Today I got to try 2 guitars

L03 Mahogany Recording Series Electro Acoustic
OM40 Koa Special Legacy Ltd Electro Acoustic Guitar

I am looking for my perfect recording guitar, here are the attributes IÂ’m looking for.

1. Overall mid/bright tone
2. Thick low mids
3. Low bass
4. Plenty of high/mid snap in the bass strings
5. Loud output, very touch sensitive

I know I know, I want it all.

So hereÂ’s what I found out today.

L03 = very loud, great. Very mid focused great. The highs weren’t too pronounced but I guess that’s the mahogany. The lows I am guessing due to the slightly larger body shape than the OM40 were more pronounced than I wanted, I hoped the mahogany would keep the low bass at bay, but it didn’t. This muddyness in the bass is the thing I didn’t like about this instrument. The only other thing was the action was quite high compared to the OM40. The guy in the shop said it was as low as it could go, but I beg to differ.

OM40 = The lows were great, more low mids than low lows and with plenty of high snap to the low strings. The mids were nice and balanced, the highs seemed brighter, not as woody than the LO3 and not as loud. Overall the whole guitar was not as touch sensitive or as loud as the LO3. I prefer the louder projection of the LO3.

So, my question is where do I go from here. From what I have said do you guys who know Larrivee think maybe an OM body but with a mahogany back and sides might be the answer. How much of that larger LO3 body shape do you think was adding to that pronounced bass.

I have also tracked down two others although they are quite a drive away.

000-40 Legacy Series Sitka Spruce / Mahogany 12-Fret traditional Auditorium

OM-03 WALNUT Back and sides with Moonspruce top

Is the OM-3 the same as the OM40 but with a walnut back and sides, the Larrivee numbering system does confuse me somewhat.

Any advice would be really appreciated as these are so hard to track down.
Thank you
Matthew
Old 02-12-2022, 02:53 PM

Is the OM-3 the same as the OM40 but with a walnut back and sides, the Larrivee numbering system does confuse me somewhat.

Thank you
Matthew[/QUOTE]

I THINK the bracing will be different between the OM 3 and OM40.
I think the 3 will have the traditional Larrivee bracing whilst the 40 will have their newer bracing which brings out a little more low end. But somebody with more experience will chime in I'm sure.
Old 02-12-2022, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattseed View Post
Hi gang. So I have fallen in love with Larrivee guitars and they are not easy to find in the UK.

Today I got to try 2 guitars

L03 Mahogany Recording Series Electro Acoustic
OM40 Koa Special Legacy Ltd Electro Acoustic Guitar

I am looking for my perfect recording guitar, here are the attributes IÂ’m looking for.

2. Thick low mids
3. Low bass

I know I know, I want it all.

So hereÂ’s what I found out today.

L03 = very loud, great. Very mid focused great. The highs weren’t too pronounced but I guess that’s the mahogany. The lows I am guessing due to the slightly larger body shape than the OM40 were more pronounced than I wanted, I hoped the mahogany would keep the low bass at bay, but it didn’t. This muddyness in the bass is the thing I didn’t like about this instrument. The only other thing was the action was quite high compared to the OM40. The guy in the shop said it was as low as it could go, but I beg to differ.

OM40 = The lows were great, more low mids than low lows and with plenty of high snap to the low strings. The mids were nice and balanced, the highs seemed brighter, not as woody than the LO3 and not as loud. Overall the whole guitar was not as touch sensitive or as loud as the LO3. I prefer the louder projection of the LO3.

So, my question is where do I go from here. From what I have said do you guys who know Larrivee think maybe an OM body but with a mahogany back and sides might be the answer. How much of that larger LO3 body shape do you think was adding to that pronounced bass.

I have also tracked down two others although they are quite a drive away.

OM-03 WALNUT Back and sides with Moonspruce top

Thank you
Matthew
If you don't mind a twelve-fret neck I'd recommend you try a Larrivee C-03 TE Tommy Emmanuel Custom. Plenty of bass, mids, and trebles with wonderful playability. Here's my review.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 02-12-2022, 03:00 PM

By the way, I don't know where you are in the UK but Knighton Music Centre in Shropshire appears to have about twenty Larrivees in stock. It's where I bought mine.
Old 02-12-2022, 03:06 PM

I've owned a Larrivee 000-50 which is one of Larrivee best models, very similar to a 000-40 (different bracing and more bling). I eventually sold it because the 12 fret was limiting. It was a really nice sounding guitar. I would suggest you try the 000-40 as it may be what you're looking for soundwise.
Old 02-12-2022, 03:35 PM

Hi Matthew

Whereabouts are you in the UK? I know Knighton Guitars have a lot of Larrivee in stock usually... They were very helpful when I went in a couple of years ago, although I've no idea how they've weathered the pandemic?

Huss and Dalton 00-SP
Martin OM21
Martin 000-17SM
Sigma SDM-18S
Naylor 'Spered Evel' custom made
Old 02-12-2022, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattseed View Post

2. Thick low mids
3. Low bass

My 000-40 checks all the boxes - sonically where OM meets Dread

Last edited by FingahPickah; 02-13-2022 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-12-2022, 03:41 PM

Thanks. I’m about 2.5 hours from there just Munkee but they do have a few in stock that might might make it a worthwhile trip. Than you.
Old 02-12-2022, 04:01 PM

I have a Larrivee OM-03W in Engelmann spruce and black walnut that’s part of my permanent collection. It’s very plain, but sounds magnificent.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 02-12-2022, 04:49 PM

Do try a Tommy E model. Astonishing sound.
There's Guitar Village in Farnham Surrey if you're in the South
Nick
Old 02-12-2022, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

2nd-3rding the Tommy E C-03 12 fret cutaway as a truly great Larrivee model, but from reading your descriptions of the L-03, please realize that the Tommy will have more of everything including huge bass that in my opinion can be a bit muddy. I try to subdue mine a bit by avoiding phosphor bronze strings. Best so far have been Mangen monels and GHS Vintage Bronzes.
Old 02-12-2022, 08:12 PM

I was in Bath 2 years ago and guitarbitz had a few Larrivees.
Old 02-13-2022, 12:21 AM

OM-03 and OM-40 have a very slightly different bracing pattern. Both have a parabolic X-brace, but the -40 has a pair of tone bars like a Martin and the -03 has a symetric lower cross brace.

In theory, the -40 should be more responsive and provide a hair more bass, but I can't here the difference between an -03 and an -40 if they have the same wood.

Recommend you try that Walnut/European OM-03. I personally really dislike the Euro/German/Swiss/Moon/whatever tops. They give a lot more clarity than sitka.

I.e. I don't like them because they are not muddy enough. Which means for YOU it's probably exactly what you want.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 02-13-2022, 06:25 AM
Charter Member

After owning dozens of Larrivees, Id buy that OM03 walnut sight unseen. Saw it on reverb and almost did!

Last edited by scotchnspeed; 02-13-2022 at 08:14 AM.
Old 02-13-2022, 04:14 PM

My vote is for "none of the above" and consider trying the plain Jane gloss finish L-05 mahogany.

My reasons are backed up with owning a satin finished rosewood/sitka OM-03R for 15 years. I love it for many reasons but as for recording it just isn't good. The satin finish is infamous for creating too many "swishes" through the mic. The rosewood creates too many overtones, making it sound undefined. Finally, the small body does indeed lack in bass response to my ear and it will not take a heavy attack with sounding brash.

That being said, I always said that if I were to get another Larrivee it would be a mahogany L-05 or LV-05E. They have the same balanced midrange but with more resonance and bass response without sacrificing treble clarity. I've liked every mahogany L I've tried and I expect that you might as well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion