The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-11-2022, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coler View Post
So you stabbed it? That's what I'm hearing here.
More like a (light) Slash [no GNR pun intended lol].
Old 02-11-2022, 11:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
.......I accidentally scratched it across the top below the bridge with my SOG knife while removing the bubble wrap, d'oh......
Thought about this a bit more. This kinda seems like a karmic harbinger of what was to about to come during the rest of the "reveal"...doesn't it?
Old 02-12-2022, 07:33 PM

Day 2, the break is stable. As I heard of gluing a broken head stock: the glue IS stronger than the wood.

Not bad for a guy who never took shop class, I reckon.
Old 02-13-2022, 12:51 AM

Good for you! Sounds like you got a high end yamaha that need some love. I got from GC by phone like that.

It was a Northwood 12 fret custom build with cutaway and K&K, but it was $1500. Not like your deal. I called and got some young guy who checked it out said it looked and played nice and came in a couple days ago and bunch of people had called on it. So after verifying they would give me a 90 day return and pay for return shipping if it was messed up, I went for it. It was very nice, super dry and buzzing up the neck, but a few months of proper humidity brought it back to perfect set up all on it's own. John, the builder emailed me back and said it was a custom build Port Orford cedar top and walnut B&S, ebony fret board or blond maple neck with gotoh 510 tuners, best tuners I have on a guitar now. It has become my favorite gigging/songwriting all purpose guitar. It is so hard to find a 12 fret cutaway. I have looked a few times to see if maybe another deal at GC online, but nothing.

I did buy a china made shecter hollow body electric with a piezo blend with 2 humbuckers for super cheap as it had a cracked headstock. Local luthier fixed it for $30 bucks and I swapped out the cheap humbuckers with some seymor duncan PU's and it is quite nice guitar now. I bet your headstock repair will be just fine.
Old 02-13-2022, 07:24 AM

I admire your knowledge and willingness to take on this project. It sounds like a great outcome! It doesn’t take much for a guitar selling for 10% of its actual value to be a good deal.
Old 02-13-2022, 02:47 PM

Final update: took to church today and led worship. Pastor couldn't believe the same guitar (that sounded amazing and stayed in perfect tune through a 5-song set) had a broken headstock on Tuesday night.
Old 02-14-2022, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Final update: took to church today and led worship. Pastor couldn't believe the same guitar (that sounded amazing and stayed in perfect tune through a 5-song set) had a broken headstock on Tuesday night.
Great update YamahaGuy. You can name it Lazarus (Joe Bonamassa name one of his 1959 Les Pauls Lazarus after he brought it back to life).

How did you glue the neck crack? Did you just put the glue it in the crack? Spread it with a toothpick?
Old 02-15-2022, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Congratulations on your find and fine work. What a great story. Thanks for sharing.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 02-15-2022, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Great update YamahaGuy. You can name it Lazarus (Joe Bonamassa name one of his 1959 Les Pauls Lazarus after he brought it back to life).

How did you glue the neck crack? Did you just put the glue it in the crack? Spread it with a toothpick?
After I glued it, I saw a video of the right way to do it, by brushing the glue on all the exposed parts.

I just applied it to all the parts (of exposed wood) I could see. I had a massive amount of glue oozing from all over. I had enough intuition to clear the excess from the truss rod area.

I like that name
Old 02-15-2022, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
Congratulations on your find and fine work. What a great story. Thanks for sharing.
My pleasure. It's one I'll never forget.
Old 02-15-2022, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

Very cool YamahaGuy! I admire your determination and skill. Glad it worked out in your favor. Thanks for the pix!

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion