The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-11-2022, 10:47 AM

Default Too good to be true NGD

Always looking to find a deal of the year, I regularly peruse GC used and have scored some terrific buys at deeply discounted prices.

Last week, I spied a Yamaha CPX900 listed as "fair condition" for $149. Retail when new was in the ballpark of $1500. I immediately called the local GC that had the item, and specifically asked for the model number (as it was listed as a Compass with no other model info), and if the neck was in good shape? The employee said, "yeah it's a CPX900, there is a little dirt around the pick guard and other than that it's not bad." I added it to cart, tried to check out and the order through the app didn't work. Tried online via GC website. No go. Called and was able to place the order. So for a bit less than $180, I scored a fantastic 'beater' that was once a $1500 guitar.

It arrives. Packed okay. Didn't seem like it was damaged by shipping. I accidentally scratched it across the top below the bridge with my SOG knife while removing the bubble wrap, d'oh.

To my chagrin, some idiot super glued a pick holder to the upper bout near the battery box, ruining the finish of the otherwise beautiful ultramarine flamed Maple sides.

I shook the guitar and the preamp just about fell out.

The bridge pins, nice ebony ones were too long.

The g string was sitting on fret #1.

I looked at the back of the neck and saw fault lines. I began to sand them. I removed the strings and continued. The headstock was cracked. Bad.

The pickup works on full (10) volume only but it works.

I fixed the loose preamp screws. I broke the headstock the rest of the way and glued it. I'm gonna spray contact cleaner on the preamp. I polished the rest of it, and the frets. Oiled the fretboard. Fitted the bridge pins. Cleaned the filthy tuners. Now waiting on the glue to dry.

Stay tuned for an update. We'll see how well Gorilla wood glue works...
Old 02-11-2022, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Sounds like quite the project! Good thing you know so much about how to resurrect this guitar. Good for you! I'll stay tune.

- Glenn
Old 02-11-2022, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

"a little dirt around the pick guard and other than that it's not bad."...? Seems like you're taking this well and see it as an interesting project. Based on how you've described it all, sounds like you have it well in hand. Will look forward at a later date to hearing about your success!
Old 02-11-2022, 11:21 AM

Sounds like a fun project. Sometimes I like tinkering with my guitars as much as I do playing them. Curious to see how this turns out
Old 02-11-2022, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

After seeing the issues I would have tried to buff out the scratch you made and sent it back. You are more ambitious than I.
Old 02-11-2022, 11:44 AM

The primary draw to this model is the A.R.T. 4-way pickup system. Also, there are gold tuners, which I don't need. And the headstock (above the crack) is absolutely beautiful. If nothing else, I would have hacked it apart and made a piece of art out of it, or scavenged any parts I could off it. I have other Yamaha guitars that have the same battery box. I know $180 is a lot to pay for a battery box, but hey, if I need a spare I'll have it.
I never even gave thought of returning it.
Old 02-11-2022, 02:42 PM

Amazing that the salesman said "...there is a little dirt around the pick guard and other than that it's not bad.". But given the price and your skills I think you'll end up with a great buy.

Looking forward to your post-fix review YamahaGuy.
Old 02-11-2022, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

Good find! Judging by the employees in every Guitar Center I've ever been in, I think there are great deals to be found. All it takes is a strong dubie before their shift and you'll get yourself a custom Martin for half its value. Happy hunting!
Old 02-11-2022, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

So you stabbed it? That's what I'm hearing here.
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)
Old 02-11-2022, 05:49 PM

I returned 2 guitars to gc today. Employee never bothered to open the cases to make sure they were good and actually in the cases.
Old 02-11-2022, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

congrats Yamahaguy!! awesome deal and project. the but for...but for...but fors are merely inspiration to make the guitar everything it can be and the reward and fun of the tasks far exceeds the investment in $$ imo. well done, cant wait to see some pics when finished

1929 SS Stewart Pro Archtop
1921 G Houghton Archtop Banjo
2007 George Rizsanyi Custom Maple Banjo Killer
2017 James Malejczuk Custom OM Black Limba
1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom
Old 02-11-2022, 06:17 PM
Charter Member

I kinda want to see the “ before” pictures, too…
Old 02-11-2022, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

A guitar that was once $1500. would be closer to $2500. these days. Sounds like a fun project that you enjoy, I hope it all works out for you. And you got to put up some pictures sometime !
Old 02-11-2022, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Stay tuned for an update. We'll see how well Gorilla wood glue works...
Man, I was with you all the way until "Gorilla wood glue". What I like for the headstock break is the best epoxy you can find.
Old 02-11-2022, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H165 View Post
Man, I was with you all the way until "Gorilla wood glue". What I like for the headstock break is the best epoxy you can find.
No, epoxy is bad. Can never fix it again. Wood glue for wood.

Update:

IT HELD! Martin MA540 strings tuned to standard E to E. Stays in tune. Truss rod is perfect. Cut the new bone nut/slots and the thing sounds incredible. It's been played in quite a bit, evidenced by the fret wear and worn in fret board.

Maple may be my new favorite b/s wood.

The contact spray didn't work to solve the preamp issue, but I'll just leave it dimed and it will be fine.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion