The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-10-2022, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Default Fingerstyle camps

Snow on frozen earth burnished by a stiff, cold Nor'westeriy is the perfect time for a mind vacation to the summer. I have been taking on-line fingerstyle lessons for about six months now and have really enjoyed it. I am only a couple years into my guitar journey so it is more than just finger style that I have been working on. Complexity on top of compexity.
So to my question - are there string camps that have an emphasis on finger style playing? Last year I went to a week long string camp here in Maine that was a really great time. But like most that I have seen advertised, the clear emphasis was on bluegrass and strumming. Had a fun time (it's all about the people), but I really like to find one that is structured around fingerstyle work.
Thanks for the leads.
David

Last edited by Deliberate1; 02-10-2022 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-10-2022, 12:09 PM

Fur Peace Ranch is a great choice, but they aren’t doing in person workshops right now.
Old 02-10-2022, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

Andy McKey used to do a camp called Musicarium.
I attended a couple years back. It’s definitely interesting, but I didn’t take away a lot because they focused a lot on a more percussive style than I am interested in playing.
I had hoped to come away with a better understanding of the use of alternative tunings- But those tunings discussed were non-formulaic and a bit arbitrary.
Mike Dawes, and a couple other notables were instructors.
Old 02-10-2022, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Richard Gilewitz has been doing his Gillacamp in various locations for the past 20 years. Usually it’s a weekend and very intensive and informative. You may want to check his website www.richardGilewitz.com to see when the next one is….

2020 Brad Goodman J185
1992 Taylor (DCSM)Dan Crary Signature Model

Old 02-10-2022, 02:00 PM

Augusta Blues Week, if that's your music style.

https://augustaartsandculture.org/summer2022/ (Week 3.)

D.H.

Last edited by Dave Hicks; 02-10-2022 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-10-2022, 02:36 PM

Toby Walker is still hosting monthly workshops. You can generally find what is coming down the pike by going to tobywalkerslessons.com.
Old 02-10-2022, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff_the_stiff View Post
Andy McKey used to do a camp called Musicarium.
I attended a couple years back. It’s definitely interesting, but I didn’t take away a lot because they focused a lot on a more percussive style than I am interested in playing.
I had hoped to come away with a better understanding of the use of alternative tunings- But those tunings discussed were non-formulaic and a bit arbitrary.
Mike Dawes, and a couple other notables were instructors.
When I first moved to Topeka, KS, Andy KcKee was still giving lessons at a local music shop. I never signed up though because as you note I was not really interested in how he approached the guitar.
Old 02-10-2022, 02:57 PM

John Stropes runs a weekend workshop, usually in August, in Milwaukee, that covers in depth "how to play" two or three of Leo Kottke's pieces.
Old 02-10-2022, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
Snow on frozen earth burnished by a stiff, cold Nor'westeriy is the perfect time for a mind vacation to the summer. I have been taking on-line fingerstyle lessons for about six months now and have really enjoyed it. I am only a couple years into my guitar journey so it is more than just finger style that I have been working on. Complexity on top of compexity.
So to my question - are there string camps that have an emphasis on finger style playing? Last year I went to a week long string camp here in Maine that was a really great time. But like most that I have seen advertised, the clear emphasis was on bluegrass and strumming. Had a fun time (it's all about the people), but I really like to find one that is structured around fingerstyle work.
Thanks for the leads.
David
This one’s in Bar Harbor, hopefully it will come back at some point:

http://guitarintensives.com/
Old 02-10-2022, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfreydaniel View Post
This one’s in Bar Harbor, hopefully it will come back at some point:

http://guitarintensives.com/
OP here. Wow, I could go home for lunch.
David
Old 02-10-2022, 06:38 PM

Swannanoa Gathering's Guitar Week is not exclusively fingerstyle, but the staff always includes top-tier players--here's last year's offering:

https://swangathering.com/catalog/gt/guitar-week/

I haven't attended (I'm an Augusta Swing Week loyalist), but I have friends who have and swear by it.
Old 02-10-2022, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
OP here. Wow, I could go home for lunch.
David
If you live in/near Bar Harbor, I have to ask - have you ever had the lobster ice cream I saw offered in an ice cream shop there? I was not brave enough to try it.
Old 02-10-2022, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
Toby Walker is still hosting monthly workshops. You can generally find what is coming down the pike by going to tobywalkerslessons.com.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenpalms View Post
Richard Gilewitz has been doing his Gillacamp in various locations for the past 20 years. Usually it’s a weekend and very intensive and informative. You may want to check his website www.richardGilewitz.com to see when the next one is….
Both Toby and Richard are very knowledgeable, and are great teachers. Just depends on what you want to learn. I attended a Gillacamp in Chicago two months ago, and Richard is planning another for Spring (May?), though he hasnt declared a date.

I’ve taken two workshops from Toby at Fur Peace Ranch (when they were still doing in oersin gatherings in Ohio). Good experiences!
Old 02-10-2022, 08:52 PM

Not finger style specific, but Victor Wooten’s music/nature camp can change the way you look at music (and life for that matter). I attended the bass/nature camp as a student in 2011, then volunteer staff in 2012. Honestly changed my outlook on pretty much everything. Getting to study with Chuck Rainey and jam with the Wootens was a bonus. Not sure if they’re back in person yet but they typically happen in the summer so fingers crossed.
Old 02-11-2022, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
If you live in/near Bar Harbor, I have to ask - have you ever had the lobster ice cream I saw offered in an ice cream shop there? I was not brave enough to try it.
Um...no. That is not made for Mainers.
Even the lobsters gag at the thought.
David

Last edited by srick; 02-14-2022 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Implied profanity

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion