The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-13-2022, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
The boss used a new OM21 as his lesson guitar for well over two, maybe three years. A guy came in looking for an OM one weekend. He played everything we had, but couldn't find the right one. I told him to hold on a sec while I ran downstairs to the lesson room and brought up what looked like a used OM21. It sounded great after being played about 30 hours a week for all that time. He loved it. When I told him it was actually a new Martin with a warranty, and if he gave me an hour, I could clean it up and restring it for him, he was thrilled. The boss was surprised when he came in Monday and his lesson guitar was sold... at a normal retail price. (Guess where he sourced he next lesson guitar.)
i'll admit i found that to be a rather unfortunate account to hear of overall. where i come from anyway it would not be considered kosher to sell that guitar at 'normal retail price' as if it were new, willingness of the customer notwithstanding. i understand that perspectives of this differ, personally and culturally. i would be interested to know the name of that shop.
Old 02-13-2022, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingingSparrow View Post
i'll admit i found that to be a rather unfortunate account to hear of overall. where i come from anyway it would not be considered kosher to sell that guitar at 'normal retail price' as if it were new, willingness of the customer notwithstanding. i understand that perspectives of this differ, personally and culturally. i would be interested to know the name of that shop.
I agree, dishonest at best. I would not do business with that store.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 02-13-2022, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Band Guitar View Post

Exactly!

Dishonesty running rife. The car guy is saving his personal and using up the cars for sale for his own benefit....same with guitars. Shonky biz at this, probably shonky at everything....

A heavy usage discount on these very used by everyone guitars would give them pause! Make them sign some kind of legal disclaimer....

I am taking a guitar I bought brand new a few years ago to my luthier for a setup and fretwork this week - I have hardly played it - it came like that. I should have taken it back. Must have been passed around the shop for a year or 2.....live and learn.

BluesKing777.

Last edited by BluesKing777; 02-13-2022 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-13-2022, 04:02 PM

More importantly:
  1. Do sex therapists take their patients home?
  2. Do aliens take humans home?
  3. Do wood chucks take chucks of wood home?
Old 02-13-2022, 04:45 PM

I'm a tech... work out of my home shop. I'll occasionally take a customer's guitar upstairs to my studio for an evening. Sometimes for the purpose of tracking down a buzz or something work related, but usually just to enjoy playing it or to compare it to my guitars.
Old 02-14-2022, 01:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Band Guitar View Post
The customer got the guitar he wanted and paid a price he wanted to pay. So exactly how is that "dishonest"?

BTW, for over 30 years, this shop sold a boatload of great, new, used, and vintage instruments to famous musicians discussed regularly on this forum. Many were repeat customers who stopped in the shop whenever they were in town. A famous performing arts center was around the corner, and it wasn't at all unusual to have three or four guys head from the tour bus straight to the shop. And guess what they did when they were there. They played the instruments! GASP! And the shop still sold the new ones as new.

Last edited by Zissou Intern; 02-14-2022 at 01:44 AM.
Old 02-14-2022, 01:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
More importantly:
  1. Do sex therapists take their patients home?
  2. Do aliens take humans home?
  3. Do wood chucks take chucks of wood home?
I know, for a fact, that wood chucks do take chucks of wood home. I know a human who claimed that an alien took her home to the mother ship. I don't know any sex therapists.
Old 02-15-2022, 05:51 PM

sorry, wrong post...
Old 02-15-2022, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormin1155 View Post
I'm a tech... work out of my home shop. I'll occasionally take a customer's guitar upstairs to my studio for an evening. Sometimes for the purpose of tracking down a buzz or something work related, but usually just to enjoy playing it or to compare it to my guitars.
That's what I'm talking about. I want the tech to play my guitar and figure
out what it needs. I took my Kopp to a little near-by place a few weeks
ago so the guy there could lower the action a little. I asked him to play
it all he wants. When I got it back it was adjusted pretty well and he said
he enjoyed playing it - "that's a nice guitar!"

-Mike

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion