The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-09-2022, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeOldRocker View Post
When I lived/played in the city, my electrics were carried on my back in soft cases, making it much easier to navigate (and lighter) than the hard cases left at home. But I never had a soft case for acoustics.

I'm told some of the newer gig bags are pretty resilient and protective, and they're much lighter than hard-shell cases. But why anyone would choose to replace a good hard case for a softer one, I can't tell you.
That is true. Martin’s “Deluxe” gig bag that came with my SC-13e has a nice level of padding and is equipped with zippers similar to what one would find on a high-end ski jacket. I have had no problem keeping the guitar humidified in the gig bag, although the humidifiers need slightly more attention than those in the hard cases.
Old 02-09-2022, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Default Gig bag vs a case

I use gig bags only unless shipping a guitar. It’s lighter, smaller, more convenient, and a good one provides an almost equal amount of protection. The best I’ve found are by Reunion Blues.
When I used to fly the gig bag guarantees I can carry it on as overhead luggage and keep it in my sight. With a hardshell case sometimes there is no room for it, and the attendants view as ‘OK for checked luggage.’
Being smaller, it sits well inside the car in a safe place.
If I were a traveling, gigging performer, seeing it get tossed in equipment vans and checked baggage, I would prefer a hardshell case. Around town it is overkill for me.
Old 02-09-2022, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
Because I can sling it over my shoulder and have hands free to carry stuff into / out of the venue. Gotta go high end, though. Those thirty dollar bargain jobs ain't the way to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
This! One trip in and out. Guitar on back, amp/speaker in 1 hand, bag/mic stand in other
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDB View Post
This. My Eastman goes on the seat of my truck in it's gig bag. When I get to the bar I can put my guitar over my shoulder and carry my amp and my equipment bag and get everything inside in one trip. So convenience is the difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehauler View Post
I am curious....

Why do people use gig-bags instead of a hard case?

I get that some guitars come with gig bags. My Sigma did and it resided there for over 20 years, but I have since gotten a case for it, and it's either on the stand or in the hardshell case. It's never gone back into the gig bag.

I've seen people talk about putting their high end Gibsons, Taylors, etc. that come from the factory with a hard case into a gig bag, and I just wonder why would a person make that choice?

If you use a gig bag when you also have a hard shell case, maybe you can enlighten me and help me understand why it might sometimes be better/more useful to use the gig bag.

Thanks
As is frequently the case, folks who gig tend to have different perspectives than those who don't. I can carry two (expensive, BTW) guitars on my back on my Mono case while pushing the rest of my gear in a cart. That becomes a pretty big deal if you gig several times per month, and are loading out at 1:00-2:00 a.m. And if, like me, you're very meticulous about handling and packing things you can do just fine without hard cases for your guitars or flight cases for amps and pedalboards.

And of course I do have hard cases, and would used them if needed; but thagt hasn't happened for a couple of years.
Old 02-09-2022, 01:32 PM

I'd love a proper hard case but the price of one would be higher than what my guitar cost! I have a very well built Kinsman bag, lots of padding and it opens right out like a case.
Tanglewood TU13M ukulele
Brunswick BU4B baritone ukulele
Valencia VC204H hybrid
Deacon MA100 Mandolin
Old 02-09-2022, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehauler View Post
If you use a gig bag when you also have a hard shell case, maybe you can enlighten me and help me understand why it might sometimes be better/more useful to use the gig bag.
As performers, we often are faced with parking in inconvenient locations. Being able to schlep our equipment in ONE trip on a long trek is huge.

My TRIC bags actually have better thermal regulation than any of my hard cases, with the exception of one Hiscox case. As someone mentioned, these are not the bargain bin gig bags.

In our humidity-regulated home, guitars are out on hangers and stands. No pets or children, so no risk of accidents.

Remind me why I would need hard cases?

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 02-09-2022, 02:30 PM

I only use hard cases but I do understand why some people use soft shell. Sometimes it is cost. Sometimes weight. Sometimes because it is easier to sling over your shoulder. Sometimes because it can be easier to fit in a small compartment, i.e. back of the car, airplane overhead, etc.
Old 02-09-2022, 03:03 PM

What are the toughest most durable gig bags out there?
Old 02-09-2022, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Cases, always cases.

Everything on wheels.

Since settling on a solo gig everything I use is strapped to a Roc&Roller cart.
Old 02-09-2022, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjo View Post
I looked into that just recently for a new gig bag for my Godin A6 Ultra. My determination was Reunion Blues, followed closely by Mono. I wanted to get a Reunion Blues, but the fit was kind of iffy for my A6, so I ordered the Mono.
Old 02-09-2022, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjo View Post
Try Kinsman
Tanglewood TU13M ukulele
Brunswick BU4B baritone ukulele
Valencia VC204H hybrid
Deacon MA100 Mandolin
Old 02-09-2022, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

I have hard cases for both my guitars, and I use them most of the time when I'm hauling my guitars along with everything else that might fall on them and break them. But I have the Taylor soft case that came with my GS Mini and if I'm just going to throw my Mini in the back seat of my truck and drive across town to play with my buddies, I put it in the Taylor case. It is just so less clunky and I really don't need that much protection for that.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 02-09-2022, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

It comes down to risk management. Is going out and being in crowds worth the risk to your health? You will get the whole gamut of opinions. Gig bags? Same things. If you take a guitar to a solo gig or an open mic, chances are it's alone in a car, maybe on the back seat with one or two others. Not too risky. Have some gear in an anvil case? Risk goes up. Planes? Maybe the one or two flights a year aren't too risky. Flying to gigs twenty times per tear? Another matter.

I like cases. But take three guitars to a gig, one gets left in a bar when you pack out. Three in gig bags can go in one trip. A gig bag will protect a guitar from all but worst case scenarios, but haven't we all had worst case scenarios?

Every day we assess risk. Getting in a car, we accept risk. Heck, staying home may be a risk. Getting insurance is all about risk management. Putting a 300 series Taylor in a gig bag? Well it's pretty replaceable. 46 Martin D 18? Less so.

Everyone's risk tolerance is different. That 300 series Taylor is a valued guitar to it's owner.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 02-09-2022, 04:13 PM

I use a Mono case when I take my guitar places. Has nice pockets so my hands are free. Seems quite sturdy, although I don't know if I'd toss it off of a roof to check that out.

https://monocreators.com/collections...c-guitar-cases
Old 02-09-2022, 06:00 PM

As a sr citizen I find carrying a full size guitar in a quality hardshell case for any distance nearly impossible. Hence the gigbag.
Same with many amps, no more.
Old 02-09-2022, 08:30 PM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTiimm View Post
Because gig bags have the manufacturer's logo on it.
That's it!!
Former AGF Moderator

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion