The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-09-2022, 06:07 AM

Default Gig bag vs a case

I am curious....

Why do people use gig-bags instead of a hard case?

I get that some guitars come with gig bags. My Sigma did and it resided there for over 20 years, but I have since gotten a case for it, and it's either on the stand or in the hardshell case. It's never gone back into the gig bag.

I've seen people talk about putting their high end Gibsons, Taylors, etc. that come from the factory with a hard case into a gig bag, and I just wonder why would a person make that choice?

If you use a gig bag when you also have a hard shell case, maybe you can enlighten me and help me understand why it might sometimes be better/more useful to use the gig bag.

Thanks
2022 Guild F512E - Maple

Last edited by Stonehauler; 02-09-2022 at 07:51 AM.
Old 02-09-2022, 06:33 AM

I don't like / use bags.

I can see the benefit as they are more transportable, but the case is definitely the preferred way to travel and store (better humidity control for example)

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 02-09-2022, 06:36 AM

When I lived/played in the city, my electrics were carried on my back in soft cases, making it much easier to navigate (and lighter) than the hard cases left at home. But I never had a soft case for acoustics.

I'm told some of the newer gig bags are pretty resilient and protective, and they're much lighter than hard-shell cases. But why anyone would choose to replace a good hard case for a softer one, I can't tell you.
Old 02-09-2022, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

All of my instruments live in hard shell cases.

I do, however, keep a decent Eastman gig bag handy for those times when it's more convenient to carry a guitar (and/or a second instrument i.e., mandolin) when it involves a fair amount of walking.
Old 02-09-2022, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

if your protection needs are minimal, and you prefer the lighter weight of a gig bag, the choice is obvious. That and the fact that various companies have developed hard-sided soft cases that offer a decent amount of protection. Taylor's Aerocase comes to mind immediately...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg TW-5403-53-SuperAeroCase-GrandTheater-2020-full1.jpg (15.5 KB, 222 views)
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 02-09-2022 at 07:22 AM.
Old 02-09-2022, 07:15 AM

When walking and using public transport of course! Even though you often need to take it off when entering a bus or train it is much much more convenient. If you don’t have or use public transport I assume there are less benefits
Old 02-09-2022, 07:18 AM

I feel there is a greater difference in protectiveness between the best and the worst gigbags when compared to the best and worst hard cases. the cheapest gig bag are just a convenient way to carry an instrument without much investment, and do very little to protect what is inside. The best ones are as expensive as the better hard cases and rival the protection level.

Keep in mind there are many things a guitar needs protection against: drops, friction rubbing against other surfaces, things that can cause damage to the finish, jolts, damage from heat or humidity (or lack thereof), crushing, generally getting banged around, fire.... a long list when you think on it. There is no case that protects well against everything. To someone pondering whether to stay hard or go soft, I recommend thinking of what you expect your instrument will need protection against, and choose with that in mind.

Most times the hard case wins, but not always. And the soft case has the great advantage of being far lighter and often easier to put on your shoulders if you wish. A good soft case will take up more space in storage than a hard case and an el cheapo, less, which goes to illustrate the difference in quality and protectiveness between bags.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 02-09-2022, 07:28 AM

Gig bag vs a case

Hard shell case. No contest. All instruments, even laminate constructed ones.

Living in New England means humidification in a old house which means constant case humidification in the wintertime.

I am well used to keeping guitars in their cases which is a year round habit. It does protect them too, and does not deter me from playing at any time.

I also have hardshell cases for my very few ukuleles, and I have found the best ones are the Oahu tenor cases. Ukuleles need care too.

I do have some gig bags kicking around just because one may be occasionally needed. But not since Covid struck.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 02-09-2022 at 10:55 PM.
Old 02-09-2022, 07:38 AM

Because gig bags have the manufacturer's logo on it.
Old 02-09-2022, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

Because I can sling it over my shoulder and have hands free to carry stuff into / out of the venue. Gotta go high end, though. Those thirty dollar bargain jobs ain't the way to go.
Old 02-09-2022, 07:48 AM

And here I have some guitars that have neither!
Old 02-09-2022, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
Because I can sling it over my shoulder and have hands free to carry stuff into / out of the venue. Gotta go high end, though. Those thirty dollar bargain jobs ain't the way to go.
This! One trip in and out. Guitar on back, amp/speaker in 1 hand, bag/mic stand in other

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 02-09-2022, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
This. My Eastman goes on the seat of my truck in it's gig bag. When I get to the bar I can put my guitar over my shoulder and carry my amp and my equipment bag and get everything inside in one trip. So convenience is the difference.
Old 02-09-2022, 08:38 AM

All my instruments have hard cases except for the Ibanez RG and our Korg SP-500 piano. I have the gig bags some of them came in still and will use them if I am using public transport to get to a gig or rehearsal. Otherwise if I’m travelling by car then I’m always using cases.

I’ve had a couple of bad experiences with gig bags so prefer to avoid them these days…
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 02-09-2022, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

All my instruments came with very nice hard cases. They (cases) all get stored in the boxes they shipped in and I carry the guitars to shows in gig bags. Even the Froggy Bottom goes into a gig bag on the rare occasion it gigs out. Granted, it's a really nice gig bag, more of a soft shell semi-rigid case with lots of stiff padding so the guitar is well protected.

Why gig bags over hard cases? Lighter, easier to carry (shoulder straps) and has plenty of extra pockets to carry things needed for a gig. The only time I ever use a hard case is if I'm shipping an instrument or if I was traveling by air and might have to check a wood instrument. Half my guitars are carbon fiber and so a gig bag - even a cheap one - is more than good enough.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion