The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-13-2022, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingahPickah View Post
"Guy Snidely" is a classic example of someone who is too ignorant to be embarrassed by his own behavior.
I use to get that when i played my Guild D-55 out , stuff like someday
you should get a real instrument like a Martin .
Old 02-13-2022, 01:12 PM

Embarrassed: made a 12 string “travel guitar” from a 70’s Westminster, made in Japan. Have seen these guitars with many other names on them. When I was making it I caught hell asking for help. “Not going to work. Have you ever built a guitar before? (Nope) Then it’s even worse cause you don’t know what you’re doing. This is a terribly stupid idea.” And on, and more. I was embarrassed, the guitar didn’t seem to be embarrassed.

I built it. Body is small and the neck is the original. Put GHS Boomers on it and a $10 pickup from Amazon. The $90 pickup didn’t work. Recorded it on another forum, an indie recording forum. Has a bash this recording discussion. Didn’t say what is was. Got very positive things said. Worst was two people said, “Your levels were very hot, stay in the yellow instead of going into the red.” Good advice.

Saw a Silvertone guitar mentioned, my very first guitar from either Sears or Montgomery Ward, was 15 years old. Some guy named Bob Dylan in Greenwich Village was being written about as super cool. Played it till the neck broke off. Heard John Denver finger pick a 12 string and bought a no name 12. Loved that guitar and learned to finger pick it. Played at high school assemblies with my locker mate, the banjo guy. Got a Seagull 12 string 8 years ago. Love this guitar.
Old 02-13-2022, 05:28 PM

I had a Gibson (hey. what else?) that embarrassed me in public once. Must have been all that lemon oil I'd been feeding her!

I didn't know where to put my face, I can tell you ...
Old 02-13-2022, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckgoodbar View Post
A guitar, never. My guitar playing, yes.
Yep. First comment sums up my experience as well.
Old 02-13-2022, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

I have three Martins (red, 000, and Grand Jumbo) and a Guild 12 string. They have never embarrassed me so matter how badly I played.

I have a Colling OM-1 Pete Huttlinger guitar. Sitka over mahogany. When I make a mistake on that guitar it seems to SHOUT OUT to the crowd, "He screwed up. He missed the lick. He lost the pocket. He played the wrong note!"

I know if I take the Collings out in public I know that I had better be on my game.
Guild 12 String
Mark V Classical
Martin Dreadnaught
Weber Mandolin
Old 02-14-2022, 06:58 AM

In my performing days, mostly on keyboards, I would back up the lead guitarist when a second guitar was needed.

My preferred guitar for the job was an electric no-name flea market find that I bought, stripped, and roughly refinished, just for a fun little project. (Anyway, most of my money was invested in my keyboards, which weren't cheap back then.)

If I wasn't embarrassed by that guitar, it would be safe to say no, I haven't been embarrassed by any guitar I've owned.

As an aside, regarding recent discussions regarding whether or not to bring one's very best instruments on stage...
No one, not my fellow band members, nor anyone in the audience, not even once over the years, criticized the guitar or even asked about it, and a good gig was enjoyed by all.

It's one more instrument that I wish I hadn't lost track of over the years, just so I could say,
Yeah. I played that. :-D
Old 02-14-2022, 09:36 AM

Default a thought

I'll wager that lots more guitars have been embarrassed and insulted by their players than the other way around.
Old 02-14-2022, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

No, but I have probably embarrassed a couple guitars along the way.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion