The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-12-2022, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
I took a nice Bob Thompson Brazilian OM to a local jam session. A guy snidely commented, "Nice Martin clone" with much sarcasm.
Boy did that guy miss the point
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 02-12-2022, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
I did have a guy, one time, who obviously had no clue what a Bourgeois is, ask me how I liked my Blueridge. My response was, “I don’t know, I’ve never owned one”! LOL
Good one Tnfiddler! Gave me a good laugh

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 02-12-2022, 11:17 AM
AGF Sponsor

No, but I'm embarrassed daily by my PLAYING.

sm
Old 02-12-2022, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
I caught so much flack from Martin owners, for playing a Taylor 810, at least 10 years in bluegrass circles, that I HATED the name Martin and wouldn’t have even thought about owning one and didn’t for many years. I’m embarrassed for people like that and It’s sad that they don’t realize the damage they do to their genre. As far as playing my expensive instruments at jams, I’ve worked hard for many years to be able to own and enjoy them and my Bourgeois is my main bluegrass guitar. I just go to the Jams and play it and don’t ever say anything about it, unless I’m asked. I did have a guy, one time, who obviously had no clue what a Bourgeois is, ask me how I liked my Blueridge. My response was, “I don’t know, I’ve never owned one”! LOL
I'm still kicking myself for not ordering an 810e DLX when I had the chance. Had no idea they'd be discontinued.

Never performed with my BTO DN due to the hard V neck. I probably would have reshaped the neck if I knew there was a local lutheir who did that kind of work. Per Taylor policy, they could only replace the neck with the same neck it originally had.

Still, exceptional guitars and Taylor deserves more credit than they're ever given from traditionalists.
Old 02-12-2022, 02:51 PM

Nope. My playing yes, but not my guitars. I tend to choose guitars that are very unpopular on forums because I’m not worried about having to have a classic model. Sometimes I’m embarrassed that I have some moderately nice guitars and am a very mediocre player.

I’ve always liked Taylor dreadnoughts and like the two previous posters mention, they get a lot crap for not being a Martin style dread. Not that he’ll ever know or care, but I still have not forgiven Andy Powers for discontinuing my favorite Taylor body style. I’ve yet to even pick up and try a Grand Pacific or V braced Taylor because of that.

Last edited by RussL30; 02-12-2022 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-12-2022, 05:32 PM

My 810 didn’t have the bottom-end of my D41, but was an AMAZING guitar and “hands down” the best playing guitar I’ve ever had in my hands. An 810e DLX would’ve been a beast! I played a couple of 816ce DLX guitars that were LOUD and had tons of bass, so I know the 810e DLX would be great. I sure wish I had my 810 back!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 02-12-2022, 06:37 PM

No, of course not, why should I?

Isn't it what you do with your guitar, that matters?
I've been happily playing low-end guitars all my life and I dare say my playing is worth a little more than my instruments by now.

I feel sorry though, for all those high-end instruments I see in the hands of people who are struggling with barre or chord changes...

But then again, there's people who need a Hummer to drive to the grocery store, let them have it.

Youtubechannel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-M...Vbk1XI5Cy4NA7g
Old 02-12-2022, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Well here is Leo Kottke's take on it (first 25 seconds of the video from the live album "My Feet Are Smiling", though the following tune "Stealing" is excellent):

Tony
Thanks for the memories Tony. I was at this concert - recorded at the Guthrie theater in the 70s - and I’m actually the guy who can be heard whistling at the end of the applause on this song. It took me another 45 years to get to the point where I tried to learn how to play a guitar, but I started my recording career early. I can’t whistle like that anymore, but I can fingerpick a tune now.

AMI-Guitars Left Handed DMC-1STEL 1

Recording King Dirty 30s Series 7 Parlor

Last edited by Horsehockey; 02-12-2022 at 11:36 PM.
Old 02-13-2022, 12:31 AM

I like your gibson! Much better than the gawdy pickguard with the bird. And I like gibsons, just never liked the hummingbird or dove graphics.

I like guitars like the gretsch Jim Dandy, and really like the gretsch roots series 000 I have and paid $237 for it 3 years ago. It goes to all kinds of festivals where I sit in music circles with all the Martins and Collings. It has such a nice look with the inlays, slot head and the burst people ask about it as if it was a valuable guitar, haha. But it has the style and ergonomics I like and it sounds and plays real good. It is about to go on it's 2nd grand canyon river trip end of this month for 28 days, hope it makes it again, but no tears shed if the river gods take it as a sacrifice. Before this river guitar, I had an old ovation that lasted for 25 years, even survived being underway when my raft got pinned for hours and the dry bag was old leaky military bag.

Screw em if it is not good enough!
Old 02-13-2022, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

One of the best players I currently know has an old Seagull S6 as his only acoustic. He has a $70K pickup truck and at least that much money tied up in motorcycles and snowmobiles, but would never consider buyings even a $1K guitar. When we get together to pick a couple times a year, he is always curious about my ever revolving inventory of guitars. I was slightly embarrassed a few years ago when I had three Collings and a Martin in the house, and he easily made them all sound better than I ever would or could.
Old 02-13-2022, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
My guitars have embarrassed me, yes. Because they are far better guitars than I am a player.
This.
My guitars embarrass me on a regular basis!
Old 02-13-2022, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckgoodbar View Post
A guitar, never. My guitar playing, yes.
Yep. My guitars are regularly embarrassed by me, but not the other way around!
Old 02-13-2022, 10:27 AM

It's a shame that other musicians judge people on things like this. I mean, it's basically a judgement on people's social or job status to say you can't afford a €3000 guitar. but having said that, I know a guy who came to my jam group with a lovely Martin d18 , used a skinny triangle pick and couldn't play a decent chord on it. but I digress...
Old 02-13-2022, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morebass View Post
It's a shame that other musicians judge people on things like this. I mean, it's basically a judgement on people's social or job status to say you can't afford a €3000 guitar. but having said that, I know a guy who came to my jam group with a lovely Martin d18 , used a skinny triangle pick and couldn't play a decent chord on it. but I digress...
Ha!

Wait... ... when was I at one of your jams?!

Last edited by Zissou Intern; 02-13-2022 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-13-2022, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
Honestly, I think that is the nicest looking Gibson I've ever seen, man that is beautiful!
I agree and it has what appears to be a smaller, less tone-robbing pickguard than a regular Hummingbird.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion