The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-09-2022, 07:54 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I spent my youth being profoundly embarrassed by my Silvertone guitars in the presence of my peers who owned Martins. I've written about it. I got over it.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-09-2022, 08:06 PM

I can remember when I first got into electric in my early teens, I had a Japanese Aria Strat copy. EVERYONE else I knew played the real thing, whether Fender or Gibson.

Teens can be pretty harsh, and I received plenty of grief for not having the 'right' guitar.

I realized that I had to get better than everyone else in order to rise above my meager instrument. And I did.

By the time I was in 9th grade, no one ever mentioned my instrument again.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 02-10-2022, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingahPickah View Post
"Guy Snidely" is a classic example of someone who is too ignorant to be embarrassed by his own behavior.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
Crazy. If anything I've been embarrassed to be playing some of the high-end instruments I have at a jam session since most of the players are playing stuff that cost well below $1000. But no one ever said anything and I wouldn't either. Who really cares that much?
It's a somewhat common attitude among Midwestern musicians. If you don't own a Martin, Fender, or Gibson, you're obviously not a real musician and can't afford the good stuff. I used to take a lot of flack when I was a bassist because I used a lot of custom made fretless basses. That and being an unpaid hired gun in an original band are why I don't play bass much these days.
Old 02-10-2022, 12:12 PM

On the electric side of things, my first electric guitar was an Epiphone Les Paul Standard and the guys i was playing with in middle school made fun of me every time we played because it was a "bad" guitar because it was an Epiphone. Now i know more about guitars, they were playing import PRS and Charvel guitars that were probably all made in the same factory so now I can rationally say they were just being jerks but back then eighth grade me was upset by it and it made me not want to play win public because I didn't want to be made fun of of the guitar I had.

2005 Martin D-18GE Shade Top
Taylor 717 Builders Edition
PRS Silver Sky
Old 02-10-2022, 03:09 PM

Embarassed because a guitar is named "Hummingbird Pro?"

That's nothin'.

Trying walking into a jam with a Big Baby Taylor.
Old 02-10-2022, 07:38 PM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
Embarassed because a guitar is named "Hummingbird Pro?"

That's nothin'.

Trying walking into a jam with a Big Baby Taylor.
Haha!! Good one
Former AGF Moderator
Old 02-10-2022, 10:27 PM

Kind of. People don't know the brand name so I just say "I don't have a Gibson or Fender, just a dreadnought." Then they go on to either tell me some tall tale or how good their friend is. Couldn't care less. I don't know anyone who plays, unfortunately.
Old 02-10-2022, 11:49 PM

I have had a Cort as one of my main guitars. Growing up I learned on a cheap Squier Strat.

No one ever hassled me, but if they had, they're not the type of people I'd want to be around. Every hobby has brand snobs, and if you find yourself in their group, find a different group.
Old 02-11-2022, 12:13 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
Not because it was a bad guitar, but over something silly? I have. About a decade ago I had a Gibson model called the Gibson Hummingbird Pro. The guitar itself was beautiful and had a tone to die for - Sitka over Hog. It was based on the Ren Ferguson designed Songwriter, but it was mahogany instead of EIR.

What was so embarrassing? The name. It was nothing (and I mean nothing) like a real Hummingbird. I remember the name being mercilessly mocked here at the AGF. People walked up to me after a gig and would make faces when they heard the name.

Don't get me wrong - the guitar was a tone monster, had a lot of power, and was drop-dead gorgeous. But I just ended up calling it "the Gibson". If they asked what model, I'd say "Just a Gibson."

Why was it called a Hummingbird Pro by the "Boys in Bozeman"? It was exclusively built for Guitar Center, and the name was chosen by GC as a marketing gimmick.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Didn't think so

The guitar is beautiful and who cares about the name. A name can't be a motive for shame. On the other hand, that feet...
Joseph Spence
Ralph Towner
Ali Farka Touré
Robert Pete Williams
Glenn Jones
R.L. Burnside
Jeff Parker
James "Son" Thomas
David Grubbs
Bill Orcutt
Martin Carthy
Django Reinhardt
Old 02-11-2022, 02:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post

My workhorse acoustic for years has been an old Seagull Folk. Someone here once described this model "one of the worst sounding guitars" they knew of.

My most expensive guitar by far is a modern Martin 000-17. A lot of forum opinion is that it's a one-dimensional "blues box" that's a poor copy of the kind of copy that Collings does.

Do I ever wonder if I've chosen the wrong guitars, denied myself the oft reported motivation of "get the best, it'll inspire you" or even sent the wrong message about how serious I am in the above choices? Sure, if not often. There's possible wisdom in those opinions, though I get musical tasks and pleasure a plenty out of the above guitars...
Frank, I'd be happy with either of those choices as my only guitar, with probably the Seagull Folk being my first choice. I understand what you mean by "missing out", and I wonder that myself until I pick up friends Martins and Gibson and Collins guitars and realise that I'm not.

For my playing, my sound, my lifestyle, something second hand and a bit road worn but fundamentally stable is what suits. And I'm getting a great working timbre from my cheap A&L. I could pay $ thousands for a "name" and not have a guitar that realistically is any better for me.

But that doesn't stop me looking, although it does stop me buying!!!

I may buy something expensive one day if a guitar falls into my hands that speaks to me. Or if I need something different because my playing circumstances change (for a specific band I join or the like). But for the present I'm not embarrassed by my guitar. It has loads of kick and rings like a bell, and it gives me the sparse punch that, 3 years into this particular music journey, is becoming my sound. And if I were to buy anything, then it would probably be to move my timbre more in that direction, which tends to be the opposite to what I would get from a boutique guitar.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 02-12-2022, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdkrugjr View Post
Nah.

Even if im playing a First Act, I'm still the weakest link
What’s worse, First Act or Esteban?
Old 02-12-2022, 06:56 AM

My CEO is a great iteration of a J-200 by Martin. I loved the balance and responsiveness over the J-200 and the J-200 Studio I tried in store.
Sometimes I get the : “Why didn’t you the a real Gibson instead?” and it makes me cringe every time. I just preferred THIS guitar, yet it kind of makes me feel embarassed that I haven’t bought “the real thing”.
In the end, what matters is that every time I play this guitar, it just makes me smile and people around always get speechless by how it sounds.
Old 02-12-2022, 08:39 AM

Nope. I’m proud to be able to even hold a guitar. I’m grateful to even have the slightest amount of skill to even make a guitar sound good. I dont care if I’m holding a 50dollar pawnshop acoustic or my 5k dollar Gibson ES-330. They’re all guitars.

DendenDeSarapen

"You dont choose the guitar, the guitar chooses you. If an any time the guitar chooses you, you have to buy it. If you can't afford it, and you can't steal, borrow, or come up with the money to buy it, you'll eventually die of a broken heart"
Old 02-12-2022, 09:11 AM

My 214CE came with the ES-T. It was really too bright sounding through a PA.

https://www.facebook.com/RichardsBluesBand
https://www.facebook.com/RichardAbbuhlMusic

Richard's Blue Band on Spotify
Richard Abbuhl on Spotify
RichardAbbuhl.com
Old 02-12-2022, 10:24 AM

Default Have you Ever Been Embarrassed by your Guitar?

I caught so much flack from Martin owners, for playing a Taylor 810, at least 10 years in bluegrass circles, that I HATED the name Martin and wouldn’t have even thought about owning one and didn’t for many years. I’m embarrassed for people like that and It’s sad that they don’t realize the damage they do to their genre. As far as playing my expensive instruments at jams, I’ve worked hard for many years to be able to own and enjoy them and my Bourgeois is my main bluegrass guitar. I just go to the Jams and play it and don’t ever say anything about it, unless I’m asked. I did have a guy, one time, who obviously had no clue what a Bourgeois is, ask me how I liked my Blueridge. My response was, “I don’t know, I’ve never owned one”! LOL

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion