The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-05-2022, 11:41 AM

Wonderful guitar, and life is short--there's too many great guitars to need to settle for anything. Enjoy it in health.
Maestro Singa, Sinker Redwood / Wenge (incoming)

Gone but not forgotten:
Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, sundry others.
Old 02-05-2022, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

Roy, good luck with the new guitar. It looks like a beauty!

Like you, I can usually play either 1 11/16 or 1 3/4 but I'd rather own 1 3/4. I think of it as ''old hand syndrome''. If we were in our 20's and everything moved nice and subtly, it would make no difference. But as we roll into the 7th decade the hands need more forgiveness and a little more room.

But I digress, good luck with the new guitar. Maybe this one will finally be ''the one''!
Old 02-05-2022, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
I tried that for months. Even mothballed my 1 3/4” Collings for weeks at a time to play the Authentic exclusively so I’d adjust. And I did. About 90%. But at this point in my playing life (I’m 70) I don’t have patience to fight a guitar when the one right next to me plays great every time. I gave the D-18A a shot because the last time I had a 1 11/16” nut (Martin DSS-15) I adjusted pretty quickly. So why not this time? I’ve come to believe it’s as much about the neck as the nut…
Rev Roy,
I thought long and hard as to weather I was going to sell all my 1 11/16 guitars, but to be honest I have had some of these guitars for over 40 years and logged in endless amounts of hours on them so they are well seasoned and opened up nicely and I am very concerned, I don't want to go through sellers remorse.....It just might be better if I just admitted " I am a confessed guitar hoarder "
Old 02-05-2022, 07:14 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Roy, good luck with the new guitar. It looks like a beauty!

Like you, I can usually play either 1 11/16 or 1 3/4 but I'd rather own 1 3/4. I think of it as ''old hand syndrome''. If we were in our 20's and everything moved nice and subtly, it would make no difference. But as we roll into the 7th decade the hands need more forgiveness and a little more room.

But I digress, good luck with the new guitar. Maybe this one will finally be ''the one''!
Yep…I think you’re onto something, my friend. These hands turned 70 last year. So they don’t obey quite like they used to.

Old 02-06-2022, 05:36 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, I'm going back to the hand doc next week. My left hand has been getting bad again. I'll see what he tells me.

So wha is is the ETA on the new guitar?
Old 02-06-2022, 06:52 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Yeah, I'm going back to the hand doc next week. My left hand has been getting bad again. I'll see what he tells me.

So wha is is the ETA on the new guitar?

Should be here Thursday. The UPS folks know me well so they hold my guitars in the office for me to pickup on the morning of delivery. It’s less than a ten minute drive from my house…so no waiting for a truck for this guy.

Old 02-06-2022, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

'no waiting for a truck for this guy.''

Niiiiiiiice! I'll be waiting for some pics!
Old 02-10-2022, 09:17 PM

One man gathers what another man spills.

I bought Roy's D-18 39A today, and for me, the neck is perfect. And what a guitar. Hope your new D-28 arrived safely today and that its as nice as this one is.
2003 Gibson J-45
2011 Flammang J-55
2015 Gibson J-45TV
2019 Martin D-18 39A
2021 Martin HD-28V Adi
2021 Gibson J-185 52 Historic
Old 02-10-2022, 09:24 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Man View Post
One man gathers what another man spills.

I bought Roy's D-18 39A today, and for me, the neck is perfect. And what a guitar. Hope your new D-28 arrived safely today and that its as nice as this one is.
So it was you. I saw TME sold it in a day. Congrats! It’s a sweet guitar. Love everything about it…but the narrow nut. Glad it fits you perfectly. And delighted its in the hands of someone who loves it. Picking up my new D-28CA at the UPS office in the morning. I suspect I’m gonna be as happy as you are.

Last edited by Rev Roy; 02-11-2022 at 07:06 AM.
Old 02-11-2022, 09:04 PM

Rev Roy, Well sir how is that new guitar? We need some pictures, I thought I was done with gas.....I felt with the purchase of my Martin D-28 Marquis I would be done ......And I was, until I saw Martin came out with the D-28 CSA with the truss rod......I need to quote the great Dr. Zackary Smith " Oh the pain Will Robinson oh the pain "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKwwcCpa2Ag
Old 02-12-2022, 04:38 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgepin View Post
Rev Roy, Well sir how is that new guitar? We need some pictures, I thought I was done with gas.....I felt with the purchase of my Martin D-28 Marquis I would be done ......And I was, until I saw Martin came out with the D-28 CSA with the truss rod......I need to quote the great Dr. Zackary Smith " Oh the pain Will Robinson oh the pain "
Yep, she’s here! We’ve spent a couple of hours getting to know each other. Loving it so far. No problems with the neck. It’s a bit chunky but not weird. The setup is perfect. And I’m enjoying the extra room with the 1 3/4” nut. Really glad to have EIR back in my tiny herd. This is definitely the best D-28 I’ve owned by far. And I’ve had two standards (one of which was reimagined) and a D-41. Martin really nailed it with these Authentics. Simply superb.

My current two guitars are the best pair I’ve ever owned…both in looks and tone. The Collings burst reminds me of a Kopp and the top on the Martin is so pure. Just a classic look…thankfully no orange toner.

Old 02-12-2022, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Very nice, Roy. Enjoy it!
Old 02-12-2022, 10:30 PM
Charter Member

Two beauties there. Seems like an excellent match with the wood combos and features.

You’ll get the pleasure of bringing to life that extra thin, non-VTS Adi top on the Martin, all creamy and newfangled.
Old 02-13-2022, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
.......Martin really nailed it with these Authentics. Simply superb.
I believe so as well. Congrats and enjoy!
Old 02-14-2022, 09:30 PM

Congrats she is a beauty.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion