The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-04-2022, 04:43 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Default Well, I failed…but it got me another Martin Authentic - UPDATED W/PICS POST #41

First, a confession: I failed. Miserably. I heard so many great things about the Authentic series that I bought a 2019 D-18A ‘39 even though I knew the 1 11/16” nut would be tight. In fact, I swore some years ago to strictly stick with 1 3/4”. But the wider nut is only available in the D-28As, which virtually everyone told me has a wonky neck. So I soldiered on with the D-18A for months and discovered that I do indeed love everything about the Authentic series. Superb instruments. Restored my faith in Martin’s ability to compete with the boutiques at a reasonable price. But that narrow nut? Fine 90% of the time but that last 10% was driving me crazy.

Then I started hearing that the new Authentic spin-off - Martin Custom Shop D-28 Authentic 1937 - has a noticeably kinder neck and an adjustable truss rod. So GAS set in. Fortunately, TME offered me a very fair trade-in value on my D-18A (exactly what I originally paid for it). So it’s moved on and I have a new Martin Custom Shop D-28 1937 on the way. Should be here Thursday. Please, oh please, don’t let the neck be wonky…

Last edited by Rev Roy; 02-12-2022 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-04-2022, 05:10 PM

Congratulations. That's a beautiful guitar. I agree with everything you said about the Authentic series. I loved my OM-18A, but had to sell it because of the neck. I still miss it.
Old 02-04-2022, 05:20 PM

Congratulations. Hope it works out for you.

I have the Custom Authentic D-28 too. I like the neck...but it is not for everybody. Fairly average towards the nut, but getting really quite big towards the heel. Makes it feel very solid.

Great guitar.
Old 02-04-2022, 05:34 PM

Beautiful guitar

Does this custom shop A has a adjustable truss rod?
Old 02-04-2022, 06:08 PM

I've got the OOO-28 version of that guitar. I love it, including the neck. Mine has a V shape that is noticeable, but I like V necks. This one seems a little slimed down and rounded compared the the severe, pointy V that was on a OOO-28ec I used to own. I liked that neck too, but I think the new one is probably more palatable for most people. And having a truss rod is a must for me.

Congrats on the incoming one and I'm really happy you got such a good deal with your trade in. I'm with you, no way I could live with a 1 11/16th's nut.
Old 02-04-2022, 06:11 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisedennis View Post
Beautiful guitar

Does this custom shop A has a adjustable truss rod?
Yep…
https://themusicemporium.com/product...shop-d-28-1937

Old 02-04-2022, 06:12 PM

It's amazing that we guitar players get set in our ways about what works and what does not... I, too, suffer from a nut width issue... although I prefer the 1 13/16"... can make due on a 1.75" but a 1 11/16--- no way...

Enjoy that new Martin... hope she's everything you are hoping for and a little more... Bob

Enjoying:

Larrivee CS-09 DF (Sitka/Ziricote)

Recording King ROS 616 (All Mahogany) project
Old 02-04-2022, 06:39 PM

Way to go, Roy!!
Old 02-04-2022, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

Next Thursday? Oh the agony...the waiting? I just went through the same thing...it'll go by quicker than you think Roy! And you'll be way happier for the effort...way to go! Sweet Martin and the neck is more friendly. I don't care what anyone says?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 02-04-2022, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

Sweet! I'm with you on the nut width thing. I had a Yamaha for several months with 1-11/16" nut. I convinced myself I could get used to it. But after a few months I found it was just left hanging on the wall. So out it went.

Looks like a beautiful guitar.
Old 02-04-2022, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

That is some great looking wood on that guitar, Roy. Nice tight, straight grained Adi and EIR. Martin is using their premium stock of EIR for these, btw.

I really love the neck on mine too. Jim is not crazy and neither am I -- it is notably different than the original D-28A neck, particularly in the shoulders. Nowhere near as puffed out as the Madi versions from the 6th fret up.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 02-04-2022, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Sweet! I'm with you on the nut width thing. I had a Yamaha for several months with 1-11/16" nut. I convinced myself I could get used to it. But after a few months I found it was just left hanging on the wall. So out it went.

Looks like a beautiful guitar.
Yeah, I had the same experience with a Yamaha dread and got rid of it.

Best wishes on the new Martin. I would like to try one like you are getting.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 02-04-2022, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
That is some great looking wood on that guitar, Roy. Nice tight, straight grained Adi and EIR. Martin is using their premium stock of EIR for these, btw.

I really love the neck on mine too. Jim is not crazy and neither am I -- it is notably different than the original D-28A neck, particularly in the shoulders. Nowhere near as puffed out as the Madi versions from the 6th fret up.
Brendan speaks the truth! What other guitar have I picked up since my D-28CAA arrived on Wednesday? The correct answer is nothing! 0...goose egg!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 02-04-2022, 07:23 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post

Andy said the same thing when he picked this one out for me. He also said the setup was perfect, pretty much exactly Collings specs (which are my favs). This one had been in the back and the case never opened until he checked it out for me. Definitely not the floor model you played.

Really, appreciate the help you and Jim have given me on this one, my friend!

Old 02-04-2022, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

I am not sure but I think some of the later D28A's have a bit less radical profile and I assume that carried over into the Custom series. I have the opposite situation- I am a 11/16th devotee, however after getting a 39' D18AA I wanted the D28AA as a counterpart. Found a good used one and the neck for me is not wonky. Definitely beefier up the neck, but hardly noticeable imo. Maybe the aged versions with the rolled edges are easier to handle. BTW - I am a diehard Hog/Adi fan, but for right now my D28AA is my favorite. I am sure you will love the new Custom.
2021 Martin 39' D18AA
2015 Duff F5
2008 Kimble A5
AO Tele 60's LPB
Vintage Fender Twin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion